Tracking Number while returning Item

I'm returning an item and ebay stated they will return my funds once the tracking number entered on their site indicates delivered.  The problem I have is the tracking number from UPS won't be accepted in the "Add Tracking Details" of the return.  It in fact indicates "The tracking number is not recognized" and that "The carrier name is not recognized" 

I can track my package through my carrier fine.  The carrier I entered was UPS.

Thanks for any help

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

That's a new one. 

While I don't have a lot of experience to offer on the 'returns' end of things, I can tell you that sometimes these weird bugs are momentary glitches that correct themselves after you log out, clear your browser cache etc. Did you try that? Talk a break and then return to try again. Also, make sure you're at a desktop computer. Some of these things are not compatible with mobile devices.

If none of that works, you will have to call ebay Customer Service to get it looked at. The worst thing that could happen is that your tracking number won't ever be recognized and the case will close without it, meaning a messy appeal.

Let us know if any of the above advice works. Best of luck.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

I hope that your return was not cross-border*.

If it was I hope that you marked the parcel as 'returned merchandise'.

UPS is notoriously expensive for cross-border shipping, due to their high ($25+) customs brokerage charges.

"Returned merchandise" is not charged duty.

An unexpected need to pay and then be reimbursed for unnecessary import fees is not a good way to make a transaction go smoothly.

You may already have learned this if your seller used UPS to ship to you.

And of course, you can get the duty and sales tax you paid returned by calling CBSA. The number should be on the back of your UPS receipt.

*These problems do not arise if both buyer and seller are in the same country.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply