What is with the Global Shipping Service.

big928
Community Member

The shipping costs are inconsistent for similar items and are inconsistent for the size, value and volume of the product.  What's wrong with good old USPS?  I have had sellers offer to ship USPS at a fraction of the cost of the GSS.  Your GSS is a rip off frankly.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

The Global Shipping Program is a Seller Protection service offered to sellers in the USA and UK.

EBay introduced it because sellers in those countries were loathe to ship outside their borders.

The sellers feared loss in the mail, negatives from slow delivery, dishonest furriners, and all the work of making out a customs form.

With GSP, the seller ships to the GSP plant with domestic proof of delivery.

For the USA this is in Kentucky and the proof costs about a quarter.

After that the GSP pays import fees (duty, SALES TAX, and a small service fee ~$5

) and ships your purchase to you, accepting responsibility for loss or damage in transit.

The buyer cannot leave feedback referencing import fees.

How does any of this benefit Canadian buyers?

Well, it really doesn't and it was never particularly meant to.

I have had sellers offer to ship USPS at a fraction of the cost of the GSS. 

Yep.

USPS does not handle duty or Sales Tax on arrival in Canada.

Technically, we are supposed to pay these on any import valued over $20CDN (about $16 USD).

And Canada Post will collect those on your doorstep and charge you $9.95 for the privilege.

If your purchase is low value and not bulky, the public servants at CBSA will probably ignore it though.

But always be prepared to pay, just in case.

If you think $20CDN is a ridiculously small duty free amount, you can write to your MP.

MP

House of Commons

OTTAWA ON K1A 0A6

It is not necessary to stamp the envelope, just write OHMS on the UR corner.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

GSP IS A TOTAL RIP OFF AVOID AT ALL COST , WHEN AN  ITEM SITS IN ENLANGER  KY  FOR A MONTH SOMETHING IS SCREWED UP

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

WHEN AN  ITEM SITS IN ENLANGER  KY  FOR A MONTH SOMETHING IS SCREWED UP

Yes,

Normally, when an item is sent to the GSP plant, the seller's USPS tracking ends.

It is difficult, but not impossible, to track a parcel from there.

However, this is unimportant since, as mentioned above, tracking (and the GSP) are Seller Protection programs.

You are the buyer.

EBay (and Paypal ) have strong BUYER PROTECTION  programs in place.

With eBay if a purchase is not delivered by the last estimated delivery date, the buyer has 30 days to open a Claim in the Resolution Centre at the bottom of this page.

In the Claim, the buyer should say this is a GSP purchase.

If the GSP cannot prove delivery, the buyer will be refunded*.

If that deadline has passed, the Buyer can open a claim with Paypal for up to 180 days after payment.

The GSP is not Buyer friendly and is particularly annoying for Canadians with our low duty free allowance.

But your problem is very unusual and there is a solution.

*If the purchase shows up after that , GSP does not want it. Normally, the buyer would be returning either the purchase or the refund to the seller. But with the GSP, the seller has been paid and did deliver as contracted.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

I purchased an item on EBay and global shipping declared that it was delivered to my door. I was at home and never saw them deliver anything!

No one came to my door, I did not sign for anything and I waited for a few days more, revisited my purchase, which had claimed it would arrive within 7 to 11 days of my purchase! That time frame had come and gone, so I sent in a resolution request to find out what happened to my package.

EBay simply sent me back a decision that I would not be refunded (which I did not ask for) and I was SOL!! To them it's, "too bad, so sad"! They claim that the delivery system had delivered, which they had NOT and too bad for me!!

I had purchased many items from EBay and never had a problem. This Global Shipping Program is relatively new to me, though I have received several purchases through it. This is the first time I have had this problem! The price was substantial and EBay tells me I'm out the money!

Has anyone else experienced such a fraud by EBay's shipping system? This is very aggravating and has completely destroyed my faith in EBay. All it takes is one incident involving a lot of money!
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

I take back what I have posted previously with regard to the Global Shipping Program... apparently Canada Post failed to deliver the package... I received it today with apologies from the Carrier. He stated he did not know why the package was not delivered as it should have been, but rather was left in the out box in the post office. He also stated he did not know who was responsible, as he was away on the day in question! My apologies to EBay for the rant it was undeserved, and my confidence in EBay is still solid!

Message 6 of 6
latest reply