Why does Ebay not add. insurance to Canada post calculation.

I just sold 3 items and the postage was calculated by Ebay and the buyer immediately paid the amount of the item plus the Ebay postage amount. When I got to the post office, I was informed that I had to pay extra for insurance as Canada Post no longer covers values up to $100. The result was that I lost $7 for insurance on items I already didn't make much profit on. Ebay is becoming so convoluted and obsessed with getting their cut, that they have lost sight of their customers who sell and what the customer needs are.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

If you are referring to the dolls, your listing indicates regular parcel, which does not have insurance.  Did you know that by Purchasing PayPal shipping labels, you receive an 18% discount on Expedited parcels to Canada and the USA, 14% off Tracked Packet to USA & several international destinations, and 5% off XpressPost?  All these services also include $100 insurance, and for the last 2 you can add additional insurance at $2.20/$100.  These discounts can result in better prices than regular parcel.

I don't quite understand your reference to eBay "getting their cut".  If you purchased shipping services at a post office counter, eBay did not get a cut.  And although the eBay postage calculator was used, it was you who chose the service.  It is up to sellers to research shipping options and choose what is best for them.  The Canada Post website clearly states what is provided with each service, eBay has nothing to do with that.  They only offer what is available for sellers through PayPal/Pitney Bowes/Canada Post.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

yess ebay does get a cut on shipping dont matter if you go to the post office or not if you charge the customer 15 for shipping ebay adds at least 10 per cent which is 1.50,so that shipping is now 16.50

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Why insure at all?

The postal system is very very good about getting items to their destination. I've been selling everything from stamps to wood stoves by mail for over thirty years, thousands of packages and many tens of thousands of dollar value, and the number of parcels truly 'lost' I could count on one hand.*

And damage in transit depends mostly on the quality of the original packaging.

I went to an eBay seminar once where a Canada Post official talked about packaging.

He told us that in the terminals, our packages could drop up to two feet from one conveyor belt to another. And the next parcel off the upper belt could weigh up to 50 pounds and land on top of ours.

He advised us to keep those facts in mind when we packaged.

He didn't mention, but it is pretty common knowledge, that the postal system will not pay out on damage to packages that are underwrapped.

So wrap your items to survive the postal terminal and forget the insurance.

Oh yeah, you are allowed to add a Handling Fee to your shipping and handling fee. This will show to your customers as a single number (ie postage $5 handling/packaging $3 -  your customer sees $8).

And definitely look into Paypal labels. Not only can you save from 5% to 17% depending on the service, but you can save going into the PO entirely and just drop your packages into the nearest mailbox.

*Tracking/ Delivery Confirmation is another question. On eBay anything with enough value that a phoney claim of non-delivery would hurt, gets tracked.  Even if I have to upgrade.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I see you are a returning seller.

You may be surprised that eBay is now Holding your customers' cleared payments for 21 days against your seller performance. You can phone Customer Support every 30 days and ask that those restrictions, as well as restrictions on the number and value of items you list, be removed or lessened.

This is a Buyer Protection policy, nothing personal. With your past successful record, you should be able to get this eased quite soon.

Welcome back!

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

What "aubreyclay" is referring to is the 10% final value fee that is applied by eBay to the sale value of your item, as well as to your shipping charge, but this is something that should be figured into your cost of sales, and really has nothing to do with your question.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@lornadoll wrote:

I just sold 3 items and the postage was calculated by Ebay and the buyer immediately paid the amount of the item plus the Ebay postage amount. When I got to the post office, I was informed that I had to pay extra for insurance as Canada Post no longer covers values up to $100. The result was that I lost $7 for insurance on items I already didn't make much profit on. ...

You picked the wrong Canada Post parcel service.

You shipped regular parcel (insurance extra) rather than using expedited parcel (which includes $100 insurance) -- both are the same price. To buy expedited parcel service over the counter at the post office you need a Solutions for Small Business card (used to be called Venture One). It's free from Canada Post.

You do need to show the card and ask for expedited parcel (otherwise the employees will not mention it).

-.-

But you could have saved more money buying your shipping through paypal (no card required for expedited parcel) plus there are additional shipping price discounts.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply