Will Canada Post send my package back if it's a bit over 2 cm?

I want to ship as Light Packet USA and Lettermail, but will they send my package back if it's a little bit over 2 centimeters? I'm really not sure how strict they're with these things. It would be a big hassle for me, and the buyer. Thank you.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

@easycanadianitems wrote:

I want to ship as Light Packet USA and Lettermail, but will they send my package back if it's a little bit over 2 centimeters? I'm really not sure how strict they're with these things.

Fairly strict because this is a case of having the item not jam the postal sorting equipment (designed for processing lettermail).  You can go a tiny bit over and still have it go through the system (since the machines can handle 0.8 inch thick lettermail). [2.03cm on my calculator]

Returns: As long as you have a clearly marked return address it will get back to you.

Thickness checking: at the counter with the plastic Canada Post size template, OR the mail slot at a postal outlet OR the lettermail slot at a Canada Post mail collection box. If it fits it goes.

Packaging: the packaging is where you balance protection versus thickness. For what I sell via lettermail, padded envelopes are too thick, kraft paper bubble envelopes are about right and I have a bunch of heavy duty paper envelopes that are even thinner. Lots of options to consider.

Shipping: You can purchase Light Packet through paypal -- there should be a postal tracking number on the label, write it down, paypal doesn't seem to record the number. At this time it is just an internal Canada Post tracking number, but you (and your buyer) can see online when the item was scanned into the Canada Post system.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

If you take it to a retail postal counter, they will be assiduous about ensuring it does not exceed the 2-cm guideline. They have a plastic piece they used to guide it through as a test. (You will most likely get the hairy eyeball as they do it so they know that you know not to try and pull as fast one on Canada Post.) 

If your envelope doesn't fit easily through the two-centimeter gap, the postal counter employees won't accept it as a light packet (international) or oversized lettermail (domestic). I made my own 'test measure' at home from stiff cardboard. It's not pretty but I drew eyes and a nose and made the slit a mouth. I call it 'Mister Bigmouth'. It was very early in the morning when I came up with this solution. You'll have to forgive me, I was feeling a little daffy at the time. 

I would strongly recommend you take your envelopes to the postal counter for mailing, even if you already have the required postage available at home. Handing it to a real person as opposed to leaving it in a street box will, in my personal postal experience, reduce your lost-in-the-mail losses. You don't want Item Not Received cases to taint your feedback AND reduce your profit. When you are offering a postal service without tracking as is the case with light packets and lettermail, you must take every step possible to reduce the risk of it going astray. 

As to your original question as to what happens? Yes, I am certain that Canada Post is very strict about not accepting anything over two centimetres deep. The mail is sorted by machine and if it doesn't fit, it doesn't fit. Period. Will it be returned? It's probably supposed to be sent back but I would consider it gone for good. It's not tracked, it's not insured, and there are no service guarantees for them to keep so what reason do they have to break their backs to return it to you? It likely goes into a big bin marked 'handle later' and is then eventually dispatched as 'undeliverable' by whatever means used to get rid of the stuff they can't store any longer.  

Good luck as you carry forward. 

I'm more optimistic than mjwl.

I've not had any problems with using the street boxes, although I didn't use the one outside the high school, because: ados.

And I prefer to drop off my parcels and envelopes near to pick up time. So around midnight on Sunday for the 9am box and about 3 pm at the 5 pm box.

I have had items returned for additional postage. Because my return address is clearly on the parcel, Canada Post has returned items fairly quickly from the terminal. But I have been in cities (Ottawa and now Victoria). If you live in Elbow SK, this may be slower.

I've also had the postie ask for the name on the label, since I use my eBay ID. But that's not been an actual problem, just a moment of communication.

The problems I've had were for weight. Solved by buying a new metric digital scale from Canadian Tire for $10-$15 to replace the old one that went back into the kitchen.

However, I use poly envelopes which are almost indestructible. If you are using paper, including bubblewrap, the machinery can tear those up.

Ask a Question
Top Helpful Posts