Wrong GST/HST PayPal - Canada Post Shipping Charges

mlhk22
Community Member

Hi,

So I'm trying to print a Canada Post shipping label thru PayPal on one of the items I sold.

Has anyone encountered the wrong GST/HST charge before? See screenshot below.

PayPal is auto charging me a flat 15% GST/HST - I live in Alberta so it is only 5% GST which normally should be (I have done this many times before). This has never happened before.

Any help would be great. I know its late at night - I will try calling PayPal tomorrow morning. 

Thanks.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@mlhk22 wrote:
So I'm trying to print a Canada Post shipping label thru PayPal on one of the items I sold.

PayPal is auto charging me a flat 15% GST/HST - I live in Alberta so it is only 5% GST which normally should be (I have done this many times before). This has never happened before.

Some Canada Post services are charged sales tax based on where you are located and some services are charged based on destination.

There have been some tax calculation problems on paypal shipping reported since the start of the year (but not this type of problem).  Good luck with PayPal -- the shipping labels are handled by Pitney-Bowes, so PayPal support may be of little use.

-..-

But why you are using regular parcel to ship when expedited parcel should cost less?

Expedited gets gets a bigger discount than regular parcel does. Expedited also has $100 free insurance and a guaranteed delivery time frame (shipping refundable if not delivered in time).

-..-

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

@mlhk22 wrote:

Some Canada Post services are charged sales tax based on where you are located and some services are charged based on destination.

There have been some tax calculation problems on paypal shipping reported since the start of the year (but not this type of problem).  Good luck with PayPal -- the shipping labels are handled by Pitney-Bowes, so PayPal support may be of little use.

-..-

But why you are using regular parcel to ship when expedited parcel should cost less?

Expedited gets gets a bigger discount than regular parcel does. Expedited also has $100 free insurance and a guaranteed delivery time frame (shipping refundable if not delivered in time).

-..-

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Thank you! Yeah I was just trying to play around to see if the glitch was only to regular or expedited parcel, but it was to both. Even if the GST is charged by destination, it was going from Calgary to Edmonton, so it should still be 5%. Oh well. Thanks tho!
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

"Even if the GST is charged by destination, it was going from Calgary to Edmonton, so it should still be 5%."

Yeah, that's a definite error. Some computer programmer at Pitney-Bowes has damaged the tax tables. The only province with 15% is Nova Scotia (that will change later this year when 3 other provinces move their HST rate to 15%)
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

A related shipping problem thread:
http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Who-do-I-call-about-problems-with-Paypal-labels/m-p/33866...
with includes a suggested toll-free number to use.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply