eBay International Shipping Errors?

I recently ordered a package on Ebay, from guaranteecellular. I was given the tracking information. The issue i've is that on eBay's tracking page it says. 

International Priority Shipping (USPS)

Estimated delivery Thu, Oct 22 - Fri, Oct 30

But the tracking number is wrong, it's for a American location. I'm located in Toronto, Canada. I contacted the Seller and he said that they've nothing to do with eBay international shipping program and that i'm on my own. Doesn't the seller add the tracking detail? What do I do now?

Thanks

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Don't panic.

Your seller participates in the Global Shipping Program. While this is not a program that is particularly useful to buyers, especially not to Canadian buyers, it does encourage US sellers to offer their products internationally.

The seller has shipped by USPS to Erlanger KY. This is the GPS plant and is run by Pitney Bowes.

Your item will be processed there, the import fees (duty and sales tax and a ~$5 service fee) remitted, and it will continue on its merry way to Canada with thousands of other packages.

Once in Canada it will be delivered, probably by Canada Post or CanPar. Or someone else. Not really important. It should arrive sometime next week.

At worst, if it has not been delivered by the estimated delivery date on your notice, you can go to eBay's Resolution Centre and demand a refund.

But it will turn up. The post office is actually very efficient.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Thank You! But will I be able to track my package or will I just have to wait until it arrives?

Those comments are invisible, so I added it above.

And sorta. The tracking GPS/PB puts on the package is more or less internal and while eventually it gets posted, that may be after the package has been delivered.

In any case, as a buyer, this is not relevant. The tracking number is only for the benefit of the seller, who can use it to prove delivery and win a fake non-delivery case.

You pay for it but is is not really useful to you.

If the parcel is late, you file an Item Not Received dispute and get all your money back. If the purchase was only delayed, which is unusual, and arrives after the refund, you get to keep your free purchase, because the seller is not affected and GSP doesn't want it.

If you are away from your home when the delivery is attempted, the carrier will leave a note in your mailbox about where and when you can pick up the package.

It's usually your local postal outlet, and you will need photo ID.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I also have another question, will I have to pay Import tax when I get the package?

No.
You paid those when you paid for the item.

The GSP annoys the hockey sticks out of Canadians because all applicable duty and sales taxes are charged before the seller can even ship.
This is required by Canadian law. Neither the seller nor the GSP has any choice.
And those are for goods valued at $20CDN (About $15 USD) or more.

However, the Canada Border Services Agency and Canada Post have an informal policy of ignoring low value imports on the sensible basis that it is silly to charge less in import fees than the labour cost of assessing them. And CBSA officers earn in excess of $20 an hour (33 cents a minute)

Message 7 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Don't panic.

Your seller participates in the Global Shipping Program. While this is not a program that is particularly useful to buyers, especially not to Canadian buyers, it does encourage US sellers to offer their products internationally.

The seller has shipped by USPS to Erlanger KY. This is the GPS plant and is run by Pitney Bowes.

Your item will be processed there, the import fees (duty and sales tax and a ~$5 service fee) remitted, and it will continue on its merry way to Canada with thousands of other packages.

Once in Canada it will be delivered, probably by Canada Post or CanPar. Or someone else. Not really important. It should arrive sometime next week.

At worst, if it has not been delivered by the estimated delivery date on your notice, you can go to eBay's Resolution Centre and demand a refund.

But it will turn up. The post office is actually very efficient.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Thank You! But will I be able to track my package or will I just have to wait until it arrives?
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Those comments are invisible, so I added it above.

And sorta. The tracking GPS/PB puts on the package is more or less internal and while eventually it gets posted, that may be after the package has been delivered.

In any case, as a buyer, this is not relevant. The tracking number is only for the benefit of the seller, who can use it to prove delivery and win a fake non-delivery case.

You pay for it but is is not really useful to you.

If the parcel is late, you file an Item Not Received dispute and get all your money back. If the purchase was only delayed, which is unusual, and arrives after the refund, you get to keep your free purchase, because the seller is not affected and GSP doesn't want it.

If you are away from your home when the delivery is attempted, the carrier will leave a note in your mailbox about where and when you can pick up the package.

It's usually your local postal outlet, and you will need photo ID.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Thank you so much!
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

I also have another question, will I have to pay Import tax when I get the package?
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

No.
You paid those when you paid for the item.

The GSP annoys the hockey sticks out of Canadians because all applicable duty and sales taxes are charged before the seller can even ship.
This is required by Canadian law. Neither the seller nor the GSP has any choice.
And those are for goods valued at $20CDN (About $15 USD) or more.

However, the Canada Border Services Agency and Canada Post have an informal policy of ignoring low value imports on the sensible basis that it is silly to charge less in import fees than the labour cost of assessing them. And CBSA officers earn in excess of $20 an hour (33 cents a minute)
Message 7 of 7
latest reply