received item i didn't purchase

I've received an item in the mail today that i assume was from an ebay purchase, however i do not remember purchasing this item at all as it's not on my purchase history. at first i thought that the seller might have accidentally shipped someone else's order to me but i can't seem to find the order # on the package. when i used the tracking # on the package it said that it was from Turkey and i am a 100% certain that i didn't order this package as it would have remember order a package from turkey. 

so now i'm scare that this seller who sent me this package (padding used for push-up bras) that i didn't order have my mailing address and phone number.

i tried contacting Ebay but i can't seem to find a phone # or email.

Please help. Thank you.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

The seller obviously has your mailing address, since she sent you a package.

What do you think she is likely to do with that?

Especially from Turkey?

Send you candy* at Ramadan?

While eBay will give phone numbers and other contact information to members involved in a transaction, the policy is to give information to BOTH parties.

So unless your phone number is normally part of your address, the seller does not have it.

And again, what do you think he is likely to do with it?

Your financial information, if you had been involved in a transaction, is carefully anonymized by Paypal. So no worries there.

As to the unordered item itself, it is too expensive to return overseas.

Hold onto it for 30 days, then donate it to the thrift shop.

*My next door neighbour is Turkish. He gave us halvah a couple of months ago as part of his Ramadan celebrations. A Lebanese friend used to give us wonderful fatoush for the same reason. Muslim friends = free food!

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Well, that's an odd one.

There was no packing slip at all? That's too bad. 

Here are some possibilities:

1. This is an ebay order that you bought where the seller misrepresented the item location and drop-shipped from Turkey;

2. This was an ebay order where the seller misrepresented the item location and mis-filled and sent you the wrong thing in which case you can contact your seller and tell them you received the wrong item;

3. This has northing to do with anything you purchased and some seller from the past made a major error and sent a new order to an old customer, or

4. This was the result of some weird technical mix-up where sellers were given the wrong buyer information for new purchases. Something like this was reported awhile back on an industry blog.

Only you know, based on details that only you have, which of the above is most likely.

Is there any indication who sent this to you? If so, start by contacting them.

Is it possible someone else at your address bought this? If so, ask your family members or roommates.

Is it possible that someone new to the neighbourhood got their address wrong? Or that someone sent this to you as a gift?

Message 3 of 3
latest reply