Refund on a return item

Im just curious if there is anything eBay can help with this issue.

A few months ago I bought an item. Item did not fit so I returned it to seller. I had to ship to China via boat with an estimated 6 to 8 weeks delivery. I did not get tracking as that would have been 3 times the shipping charge than what paid.

Now the 8 weeks has past and the seller has not received it. Im willing to give it 2 to 3 more weeks just in case.

But is eBay able to help me have the seller refund me without an item. Or is it the chance I took by not tracking the item.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Refund on a return item

you only have 45 days to file a case.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Refund on a return item

Hello 'rosesrred',

<<I returned it ... to China via boat .... I did not get tracking ....  is eBay able to help...Or is it the

chance I took by not tracking the item.>>

It's the chance you took by tracking the item, -  sending the item Surface mail (slow and not tracked/

delivery confirmed).

Every week there are posts on these boards from someone who returned an untracked item in

good faith and then never heard another word about it.  At this late date there is nothing you can do.

Well, if you paid with a credit card there is a teensy chance you could call the 1-800 Customer Service

number and ask to do a chargeback.  I expect they will tell you the deadline has passed for that, too.

When you buy on ebay you have only 45 days in which to file a claim.  When you return an item, you

must use a Delivery Confirmed service or the seller will say it never arrived.  And if you return an item

you need to seek a refund, not a replacement.  Promised replacements are rarely sent.

Have a look at the following link that explains what to do when there's a problem, noting in particular

the section on Timelines:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/buy/item-not-received.html

So now you know.  I hope it wasn't expensive.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Refund on a return item

Ooops, I meant to say "by _not_ tracking the item". And now it's too late to edit.
Oooh, tired eyes, clumsy fingers, and time I got a cup of tea! Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Refund on a return item

You were scammed. First with a badly described* item then by being encouraged to return slowly and without tracking when swift tracked return is required.

You might be able to make a chargeback from the credit card you actually paid with (Paypal is the mediator). Phone the 1-800 number on the card. Have your dates, payments, and transaction numbers handy for the clerk.

Cards have longer deadlines than Paypal, but rarely more than 90 -120 days. And they still may ask for proof of shipment if not of delivery, so I hope you kept the PO receipt.

*The Chinese cannot believe how big we Westerners are. I recently ordered some XL leggings, normally about a 16, that barely fit my friends skinny 12 yo daughter.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Refund on a return item

NEVER EVER ship an item back to a place like China. First off, the shipping fees are ridiculous (never mind adding a tracking number) and second, you're lucky if it'll even reach the seller's address within 6-8 weeks, giving you essentially no time to file a case against them for anything because you have to add int he time it took to reach your address. Without a tracking number, seller can easily say they never received the item. Something to consider keeping in mind for future China/Asian country purchases.
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Refund on a return item

Thank you for that info.
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Refund on a return item

Thank you for your reply. So far the seller is really co-operative, I just could not find info on time period to report to ebay ( I too had tired eyes and could not see)

And thankfully was not too expensive so that its not a great loss.
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Refund on a return item

Thank you for this info. Unfortuantly It was deducted from my banking account and not my credit card.
So far the seller is being very co-operative.

The sad part was I made sure to do the measurements, I too am a Westerner six XL but via my measurements I bought it in the 3XL. The sad part was its was a nice jacket, my arms gust did not fit 😞 and for that they did not give measurments
Message 9 of 9
latest reply