Buyer asks, "Would you accept a u.s.postal money order (Canadian version) instead of paypal"?ThisOK?

A potential buyer asks, "Would you accept a u.s.postal money order (Canadian version) instead of paypal? I would not expect you to ship until payment has cleared--and would you ship to a p.o.box? you would have to ship with your national post office." Is all this ok? I'm a first time seller so I'm not aware of potential scams.

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Buyer asks, "Would you accept a u.s.postal money order (Canadian version) instead of paypal"?ThisOK?

It's no problem.

While sellers cannot demand a payment that is not electronically traceable, which means Paypal or a few other accepted services, a buyer can offer any sort of payment, cash, money order, personal cheque -- at one time Canadian Tire money was accepted by some sellers.

A USPS money order is fine, and cashable at your local post office, provided that it is the INTERNATIONAL one. The domestic one can only be cashed in the USA.

There is no need to ask for a Canadian dollar MO, Canada Post can handle exchange just fine on a USD MO. You may even make a few pennies on the deal. Or not.

And a post office box* is the safest address you can have. The owner of the box must either have a key or pick up the item at the counter. Safer than a letter box on the porch or at the end of a driveway.

*But not a 'supermailbox' like those Canada Post is trying to foist off on us. A long unhappy story.

Message 2 of 2
latest reply