Buyer opened a PAYPAL claim but not an EBAY claim

I sold a $35.00 magazine 3 weeks ago to an American buyer. Three weeks later he opens a claim with PAYPAL but does not specify exactly what his issue is. Was it received damaged or did he receive it at all ? I do not know and PAYPAL does not offer me the option of asking those questions, just to prove that I did mail the item. If damaged I want it back even if I have to pay shipping costs.  I did ship it but there are no tracking numbers to prove it. What I find odd is that the buyer did not open a claim with EBAY only PAYPAL. Should I bother investigating this more or is it a waste of my time. I just think that the buyer is trying to scam me....

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

There is an advantage to you if his Dispute is Not As Described, because PP demands that the Buyer prove return delivery to the seller before the refund is approved.

However, in this case, I think the buyer has opened a Not Received dispute and since you did not track such a low value item, you will have to refund.

This is based on the PP demand for Proof of Delivery.

Which is a pain.

On the other hand, you don't get an eBay defect.

On the third hand, the money you have saved over the years by not tracking more than covers your loss in this case.

Three weeks is pretty close to the 20 days I usually allow for delivery anywhere in North America, and there was the Labour Day weekend in there, but US customers are much more impatient.

My suggestion is to refund gracefully, adding a note to the buyer that WHEN the magazine arrives, he can repay the refund using Paypal's Send Money service. This often works, since most people are honest.

Politely.-- Captain Malcolm Reynolds

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

There is an advantage to you if his Dispute is Not As Described, because PP demands that the Buyer prove return delivery to the seller before the refund is approved.

However, in this case, I think the buyer has opened a Not Received dispute and since you did not track such a low value item, you will have to refund.

Which is a pain.

On the third hand, the money you have saved over the years by not tracking more than covers your loss in this case.

Three weeks is pretty close to the 20 days I usually allow for delivery anywhere in North America, and there was the Labour Day weekend in there, but US customers are much more impatient.

My suggestion is to refund gracefully, adding a note to the buyer that WHEN the magazine arrives, he can repay the refund using Paypal's Send Money service. This often works, since most people are honest.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Which is a pain.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply