Charge-backs and PayPal

Due to a recent charge-back from one of my bidders I am leery of adding anymore items to Ebay. If I do, will my PayPal work?

PayPal is still "looking into it"  Ugh!

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Charge-backs and PayPal

Yes.

Whether you win or lose on the chargeback is not relevant to new payments.

"Looking into it" usually means they are not accepting the buyer's word. Were you asked to provide a Confirmation of Delivery? If it was a damage claim, there is less likelihood that you would win (it's a he said/she said), but sometimes, occasionally, during a solar eclipse, PP will cover the chargeback and not go after you.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Charge-backs and PayPal

The problem with online credit card purchases is that the seller does not have any real proof that the buyer is the cardholder.

No signature.

No PIN number.

No whatever that number on the back of the card is that we're supposed to keep secret.

So, if the cardholder is dishonest, or if her teenager decides to use mum's card without mentioning it, or if when the bill arrives she doesn't recognize the name of the entity charging it, an 'unauthorised' charge query could go in.

The info you sent would be helpful in the third case,when the embarrassed buyer realizes her errror, probably helpful in the second case, if the teen fesses up, but not too useful if the buyer is scamming.

I;m not clear on what you sold, but inexpensive artworks are not usually targetted by scammers.  So fingers crossed.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Charge-backs and PayPal

Yes.

Whether you win or lose on the chargeback is not relevant to new payments.

"Looking into it" usually means they are not accepting the buyer's word. Were you asked to provide a Confirmation of Delivery? If it was a damage claim, there is less likelihood that you would win (it's a he said/she said), but sometimes, occasionally, during a solar eclipse, PP will cover the chargeback and not go after you.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Charge-backs and PayPal

Thank you Reallynicestamps!
I'm fairly new at this Ebay thing and not sure if I will stay on after this. I shipped to this buyer before without incident (although no feedback was left)
This last time I just got a note from Paypal saying that it was an "unauthorized charge" so I sent them proof that it was indeed charged by her and a copy of the shipping label. I did not, however, put tracking on it ,so I may be hooped.
I hand paint ACEO cards which I put a lot of work and time in to and usually only get about $10 for, plus shipping.
I think if I do put more cards on I need a new plan. Maybe if I sell more than a couple of cards to the same buyer I'll just have to cough up the $17 for tracking to the US.
Anyway, thanks so much for responding!
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Charge-backs and PayPal

The problem with online credit card purchases is that the seller does not have any real proof that the buyer is the cardholder.

No signature.

No PIN number.

No whatever that number on the back of the card is that we're supposed to keep secret.

So, if the cardholder is dishonest, or if her teenager decides to use mum's card without mentioning it, or if when the bill arrives she doesn't recognize the name of the entity charging it, an 'unauthorised' charge query could go in.

The info you sent would be helpful in the third case,when the embarrassed buyer realizes her errror, probably helpful in the second case, if the teen fesses up, but not too useful if the buyer is scamming.

I;m not clear on what you sold, but inexpensive artworks are not usually targetted by scammers.  So fingers crossed.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Charge-backs and PayPal

Thank you Reallynicestamps! 🙂
Message 5 of 5
latest reply