Seller has told me his PayPal email is wrong; sent me another email address. Is this legal?

I purchased a Nerf gun for my son.  In the original listing, seller said not to use the current PayPal email address and would send the winner another one.  He's done that, but I'm not sure I'm dealing with the real seller of the item.  Can I trust this?  Should I pay him via the "new" email? Many thanks for your help.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

I agree. If he is willing to cheat eBay out of their fees, how honestly will he deal with you?

If your payment will not go through on the eBay -attached Paypal account, ask him for a Mutual Cancellation. You will be released from the transaction and can leave appropriate feedback.

BTW, the seller may not realize that PP's Buyer Protection is almost as strong as eBay's. He may plan to take the money and run, but he will get a nasty shock if he tries, now that you know about your rights as  a buyer.

It wouldn't go through I think this is my sons, he us in camp, weak connection to internet, he though it wouldn't go through

Hello 'crosskatya',

<<In the original listing, seller said not to use the current PayPal email address and would send the winner another one>>

Wow, - really?  He's not supposed to do that, he's supposed to have his listings set up so that

buyers can safely, easily, and confidently pay. 

It sounds like he is trying to avoid ebay fees by getting you to pay to another address.

I would love to look at that listing but lately we are not allowed to post item numbers to the boards.

Dreadful, that, - because you can see how it hampers other members' ability to offer any sort of

comprehensible assistance.  Oh well, that's ebay for ya!

I have no doubt that the holder of the second paypal address is the same as the holder of the first

who put up the listing.  After all, it was he who put that in his ad, right?

If you choose to send your money that way, you can enter the ebay item number when you send

the payment because you still have paypal's buyer protection if you are purchasing and not just making

a gift to someone.

Still, if it were me I wouldn't go for it, but then, I would have moved on when I saw that blurb in the

listing, if it is as you describe.  I like everything to be above board, and I always prefer to deal with

an honest upright seller, even if it costs a little more money.

Just out of curiosity, what happens when - looking at the item in your Purchase History - you click on

Pay Now and try to follow through with payment just like with every other legitimate listing?

Ask a Question