Buyer bought, I shipped, items show as rec'd but funds not released

ca_cunn
Community Member
As a new seller (in this account I had a previous account with +/- 600 positives but had to take a two year medical hiatus) I am aware that Paypal and Ebay are eager to give the 'appearance' of safety and security for their buyers and sellers. As a result I have shipped several items at my own expense, at least until 'whomsoever maketh the decree' sayeth 'pay him for he hath been a patient and foolish person causing no harm to our sterling corporate reputation". These items now show as delivered on the tracking system. How much longer does Paypal keep my money interest free before they release it?? Anyone?
Message 1 of 19
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yes.

BTW, Free Shipping does not mean that you pay the shipping out of your own pocket. It means that the cost of shipping, certainly domestic shipping, is included in the asking price.

Which is cheapest?

$5 item with $10 shipping?

$10 item with $5 shipping?

$15 item with Free Shipping?

The buyer's cost is the same in all cases, Your costs are a little lower because you will not be charged shipping FVF on any shipping even if you are sending some items Priority Post to Samarkand.

You can ask eBay to lift the Hold which is placed on new sellers, returning sellers, sellers in high value/high fraud categories, and sellers with a history of violations.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

j44b
Community Member
Usually a 21 day waiting period before you can access your funds. I also had to go through this process after taking time off E-bay selling. Hope this helps
Message 2 of 19
latest reply

When does the twenty-one day waiting period begin and what do they mean when they say. "It could take longer if the buyers expresses any concerns"?
Message 3 of 19
latest reply

Just to clarify, I shipped three items on the15th, They show up on tracking as delivered on the 28th, and I still have to wait another 8 days before Paypal releases my money?
Message 4 of 19
latest reply

Yes.

BTW, Free Shipping does not mean that you pay the shipping out of your own pocket. It means that the cost of shipping, certainly domestic shipping, is included in the asking price.

Which is cheapest?

$5 item with $10 shipping?

$10 item with $5 shipping?

$15 item with Free Shipping?

The buyer's cost is the same in all cases, Your costs are a little lower because you will not be charged shipping FVF on any shipping even if you are sending some items Priority Post to Samarkand.

You can ask eBay to lift the Hold which is placed on new sellers, returning sellers, sellers in high value/high fraud categories, and sellers with a history of violations.

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

And a passing thought-- it might have helped if you had re-opened your old account. Not so much with eBay but 600+ FB is a comfort to buyers, even if you haven't done anything for years.

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

21 days from shipping day or delivery confimation, that can change due to many variables, buyer responses, shipping delays, the way PP treats the transaction, as covering their __sses for themselves and buyers. Until you have a proven track record it is what it is. I think it took closer to 27 days for my first sale. Painful but safe. Cheers
Message 7 of 19
latest reply

If you ship with Canada Post, the hold is usually for the full 21 days.

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/pay/payment_hold.html#avoid

While you're establishing a successful selling history on eBay, funds from your sales will be pending in your PayPal account for a period of time.

Follow good shipping practices to help access your funds from each sale sooner:

• 21 days after the buyer pays in most cases is applicable to Canadian sellers. Funds will be available earlier than 21 days under the following circumstances.

• 3 days after we can confirm the order was delivered, if you list on eBay.com, ship from inside the United States using USPS or UPS, and print labels using eBay or PayPal. Additionally, your tracking information uploads automatically and you’ll get funds to help cover shipping (Some restrictions apply).

• 3 days after we can confirm the order was delivered, if you list on eBay.com and ship from inside the United States using USPS, UPS or FedEx and manually enter your tracking information on eBay or the PayPal Transaction Details page.

• 7 days after your latest estimated delivery date, if you mark the item as shipped in My eBay and an estimated delivery date can be calculated. Delivery estimates are currently supported for listings created on eBay.com when the buyer is located in the US, and for listings created on eBay.ca when the buyer is located in Canada.

Note: In some cases, such as international shipments, we can't calculate a delivery date or confirm delivery. It may also take longer to get your funds if your buyer reports a problem.

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

According to the following, if you print the shipping labels using Paypal, (which does have a discount on some services) some of your money will be released earlier.

Using pending funds to pay for shipping

If you print shipping labels on eBay (Canada Post domestic or First Class international), up to $15 of your buyer's funds will be available immediately to cover shipping costs for any order less than $50. For any order with a total cost that exceeds $50, up to 30% of the funds from your buyer will be available immediately to cover shipping costs. If you print shipping labels on PayPal (UPS or Canada Post), you'll need to pay for shipping when you print the label but the reimbursement will be deposited back to your PayPal account within 24 hours.

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

The customers have the items they bought according to Ebay tracking and I can't have my money for a total of twenty-one days, then it goes into my Paypal account where, once I transfer it to my bank, it will languish for another eight days before they put it into my bank account. Paypal has my money for 29 days interest free and charges me for that privilege! This DOES NOT seem right!
Message 10 of 19
latest reply

..the total amount involved in the three transactions I am discussing here is $US140.00, I have fronted more than 60.00 in postage (I will at some point recoup this, I know.) but having to put out my merchandise and my cash and then wait just doesn't seem worthwhile. As I said I had an account with over 600 positive feedback before I got sick now I feel as if I am being treated like some type of criminal mastermind. Not sure this is going to be a viable venue if this nonsense doesn't go away and SOON!
Message 11 of 19
latest reply

This 'nonsense' as you call it, is unlikely to go away soon. Whether it is right or wrong, that's the way that ebay and Paypal have decided to deal with new selling accounts. There is no reason to take it personally as everyone has to follow the same rules. I have been selling here nonstop for a number of years and if I were to start a new selling account, I would go through exactly the same holds on that account.

It is frustrating that they don't treat Canada Post users exactly the same as they treat new sellers who use USPS as the latter does tend to get their money released earlier.

As far as taking 8 days for money to go from Paypal into your bank account...perhaps it depends on the bank that you deal with but I find that it takes about 2 days to transfer into my bank account.

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

Well it appears that is the way it is, but it should not be, I'm not talking about the GDP of the European Union here,, the total is, as I said, a hundred and forty bucks plus shipping costs. There is more than that sitting in "available" credit in my Paypal account. It appears logic plays absolutely no part in their limitations and restrictions or decisions.
Message 13 of 19
latest reply

Why can't you just use your old account?
Message 14 of 19
latest reply

If the OP hasn't been selling for a year or two, using the old account wouldn't matter as far as ebay holds go.

Message 15 of 19
latest reply

True, when I reactivated a dormant account, I was also subject to the 21 Day Hold. I was expecting that though.

The reason for activating a dormant account was to have a higher feedback rating, more to do with the customer's level of trust than with PP and eBay's Buyer Protection Policy.

Message 16 of 19
latest reply

Your money is not earning interest for Paypal. It is in an escrow account.

I seem to remember that at one point PP did not charge fees to sellers, instead making their income on the interest they earned in the few minutes they held the money.

But that changed to fees many years ago.

Message 17 of 19
latest reply

Can't find it!

Message 18 of 19
latest reply

"Can't find it!"

???

It is your old email address.

Message 19 of 19
latest reply