Canadian Government wants PayPal to Confirm all Canadian members IDs?

After I successfully processed a PayPal payment on November 1st,  PayPal informed me that to satisfy the requirements of the Canadian Government it needed to confirm the identity of each of its Canadian members.   This was done by simply answering a few questions confirming information that was already online.

c

I passed the first question without a problem.  I must have made a typo on the second set because I FAILED.  I can't remember the exact questions, but they were pretty basic things like date of birth, address, etc.   That's why I said I must have made a typo.  But I have no idea even of where I made the mistake because PayPal didn't give me another chance to answer.  It just told me I failed and because of that failure, my account was frozen and I'll have to jump through hoops to get them to release it.   I already sent them copies of my 2 most recent bank statement - showing PayPal payments that they could even look up.  I also sent a copy of my hydro bill for further confirmation of my address.

Now they want a copy of my driver's license and  "an attestation by a guarantor."  Excuse me?   After more than 2,000 transactions over the last 10 years without a single problem - they want an "attestation by a guarantor?"   Oh I mis-wrote - there were two payments denied at the beginning of this week, regular pre-authorized payments totaling less than $40.   Thank you so much, PayPal.

Has anybody else had to fill in this identity thing with PayPal since November 1st?   Has anybody else had problems with it?   I came here expecting to see lots of complaints and there's not even one other.  Now I'm REALLY nervous!  lol  

Message 1 of 53
latest reply
52 REPLIES 52

Yeah you're right the online bank statement does have the address. well that's a lot of hassle anyway, now to find a scanner and go to the doctor or dentist.. after all that paypal better accept it

Message 41 of 53
latest reply

Before you try phoning, forward  the email to

spoof @paypal.com

First you get a polite thank you.

Then if it is a phishing attempt, you get an email saying so or if it is for real confirming that.

If the PP clerk sounds confused, there is a good chance it is a phishing attempt, so you may as well get that out of the way before spending hours on Hold.

Message 42 of 53
latest reply

I sent them the document and also the link for the governement website of registre des entreprises. It's all the same informations as my paypal and bank account.

When they decline ask for a postal address. Ask for the name of a person to send the documents too. Ask if that person will be available to sign for the registered letter.

And only send scanned copies or photocopies.

This is not information I would send to an email address. Or a fax number.

This is just not professional behaviour.

Message 43 of 53
latest reply

Its not a phishing scam. You should read the thread. This is legit from paypal. They are requesting documentation from Cad sellers. They have asked for so much info from so many ppl that they are back logged on processing them documentation. The due date has come and gone for mine and yet they still have not even been able to look at my file.

Message 44 of 53
latest reply

Hey there.

Yep, I am getting the same nonsense, I have been a registered user since the beginning, with more transactions under my belt that I can remember. They initially requested proof of address, government ID, and SIN number (this was when I called Paypal due to a frozen account, so this is a legitimate request). After succumbing to these requests (after having been registered with there for years already), they then called us and requested the same "Attestation" that they requested of you! Absolutely ridiculous, and in my eyes, not an acceptable practise. Even a legitimate brick and mortar bank doesn't require this microscopic request. This is because our "Nanny State" government is looking for every opportunity to tax Canadian Citizens and want records of your transaction for audit purposes. Remember to keep receipts and records, as if you are ever audited, you can also declare losses (ie: I bought a Rolex 5 years ago for $!0,000,00, and sold it last year for $7,000.00, equalling a $3000.00 loss, that would result in a possible return to you). It is very regrettable that Paypal/E-Bay, have to comply to the Canadian Government requests. This will ultimately result in a loss of revenue to Paypal and E-Bay, and of course, You and I.

Frustrated in Quebec 😞

Message 45 of 53
latest reply

" as if you are ever audited, you can also declare losses (ie: I bought a Rolex 5 years ago for $!0,000,00, and sold it last year for $7,000.00, equalling a $3000.00 loss"

May I strongly suggest you spend a few minutes with a competent tax accountant.  

Message 46 of 53
latest reply

As an online seller we are not required to register an official business, we can report the income as an individual. These are the documents they are asking to upload:

Proof of business identity documents

Under Canadian law, we're required to confirm your business identity. The documentation that you need to submit depends on the type of business.

1. A business certificate of incorporation
  2. An annual business record filed under provincial securities legislation
  3. A financial statement or annual report signed by an independent auditor

We are not obligated to incorporate and I have no idea what the second one is. Does anyone else know? As for #3 they are asking for a financial statement. Do they mean bank statement?

Message 47 of 53
latest reply

@kjasnick wrote:

As an online seller we are not required to register an official business, we can report the income as an individual. These are the documents they are asking to upload:

Proof of business identity documents

Under Canadian law, we're required to confirm your business identity. The documentation that you need to submit depends on the type of business.

1. A business certificate of incorporation
  2. An annual business record filed under provincial securities legislation
  3. A financial statement or annual report signed by an independent auditor

We are not obligated to incorporate and I have no idea what the second one is. Does anyone else know? As for #3 they are asking for a financial statement. Do they mean bank statement?

Who is this "they" ?

If it really is PayPal then they have flagged you as an incorporated company.

2 - depends on your province -- but indicates who owns the company.

3 - something every company and organization prepares -- their Assets & Liabilities, their Income and Expense, the profit/loss for the fiscal year. Usually only the big companies have an independent auditor. Most make do with just an accountant.

-..-

I'd suggest contacting paypal and explaining you are not an incorporated company.

-..-

Message 48 of 53
latest reply

unika819
Community Member

I'm having the same issue, I'm verified since 2010 with them, and right now they even refused my driver license, passport copy, health card. That's just one big pain in the and customer service is not helping at all!!!!!

Message 49 of 53
latest reply

Please read the thread from the beginning.

Most posters, including our resident tax accountant, pierrelebel, will tell you that you are sending information to a phishing scammer.

Which is why Paypal's customer service is confused.

They have nothing to do with the emails you are responding too.

Go back to the original email.

Does it address you by NAME or as 'customer' or 'client'?

Hover over the address.

Does it sound a little odd?

Send the original email to spoof@paypal.com.

They will tell you if it is real or a scam.

Message 50 of 53
latest reply

First off: This is not an email. This is a message that shows up directly on paypal.com.

PayPal confirm

Unless you're suggesting that PayPal's SSL certificate got spoofed, then this is not a spoof.

Second, people are replying to this thread, no matter how old, no matter if the original post was an actual spoof, because it is still one of the top 10 results from searching about this.

Third, the documentation that Paypal is asking for as proof of identity does not exist.

There's no such thing as a "proof of insurance with date of birth", unless they're asking for a SIN number, which they are not legally allowed to. And there is no CPP contributions statement if you live in Quebec and have never contributed to the CPP, but rather the RRQ.

So please stop copypasting trite phishing information and start posting helpful information for the sake of everyone else finding this thread on Google.

Message 51 of 53
latest reply

OMG, same here! There is NO insurance with Date of Birth, the Canadaian Privacy Act is clear on 3rd party companies cannot add your DOB on there paper work sent to you. I called 5 times and kept on being told that the Govt needs that info. Why would the Govt want 3rd party independent corp. paper work to indetntify us? Makes no sense, govt and privat corp. have no association and that is NOT a valid way to indentify a person!!! I provided my health card wihich is an insurance card from the govt and was told they don't accept that either. So, the govt doesnt accept their own ID cards but does on 3rd party independent insurance co???!!! Even if that would be the case where the DOB is on the insurance still makes no legal sense. 

Paypal people over the phone are arrogant and dismissive, saying our govt is asking this from us and sicne they want to keep their business license in Canada they have to get that info from us. Info that goes against the law of the land? INSURANCE NEVER HAD AND NEVER WILL HAVE A DATE OF BIRTH ON IT!!!

I provided:

House taxes from the city/govt

House Mortgage paperwork from my lawyer/ stamped by the city as genuine

House Title from the city/govt

Car Title From the city/govt

Insurance from my car

Insurance from my House

Health card from the provience/govt

Credit card statement (full page with transactions on it as they only allow full info)

STILL, non of these are accepted as identity confirmation as per our government, so says paypal, really? Govt can only identfy me from my independent insurance co with a DOB which doesn't exist?! Yet all my govt paper work from lawyer to city CERTIFIED AND STAMPED is not accepted by our govt???!!!!!

I was told by paypal that they do that everyday for Canadians and they have been receiving such info and I should call my insurance co and ask for the to give me a letter with my date of birth on it if not on the papers they sent me. MAKES NO SENSE!!!

Anyone else have that problem?

BTW, I am a casual seller on ebay, have been on since the bigining 2002, had similar problems back then too, was solved. I sell under 1K a year!! So, my paypal is personal account.

Message 52 of 53
latest reply

I forgot to mention I have 2 ebay accounts here, this one is a newer one I got to sell misc items but I have my primary account with 100% 2500 Positive FB and never had a problem with buyers nor with paypal, everything running smoothly, then got this same side alert as shown in the post above mine.
Message 53 of 53
latest reply