Did anyone else get threatened with account suspension?

Yesterday I recieved an email from PayPal basically telling me to stop opening claims or my account might be suspended. I've had my PayPal account for years & made hundreds of payments & I can remember every claim I have opened as a buyer. There has been 4.
I called PayPal hoping to get some answers & had to be transfered to 4 departments. The first 3 people I talked to at PayPal don't even know why I recieved the email, one guy even said that's not alot & my account looks fine. The last girl (resolution center) was rude, threatening & not too bright so I finally just hung up on her but I started to wonder if this is actually because I have issued some refunds which made them loose thier cut of the transaction.
The only other things that happened on my account was I cancelled an invoice the day before I got this email.
Has anyone else got an email like this or have any idea what department I should talk to? I talked to the email department, resolution center, account limitations department & then the resolution center again.
Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Are you 100% sure the email was actually from PayPal?

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

it's from paypal@paypal.com
Although I should also mention that no one I talked to could actually see the email on thier end. But the first lady I talked to in thier email department had me read the whole email & said it is a paypal email.
The email said I didn't have to contact paypal about it, usually phishing emails want you to contact them 😕 is it normal for PayPal to send an email & not be able to see it on thier end?
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

" it's from paypal@paypal.com"

Unfortunately, that does NOT mean it actually came from PayPal.

I suggest you forward that email - including headers - to spoof@paypal.com

Was the message addressed to you by full name (as registered) or by email address or "dear member"?

Years ago, I received messages that appeared to come from PayPal, fully addressed to me by name yet they were confirmed later to be spoof.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

The subject is "Your paypal transaction history"
And then the email itself starts with my full name. The end of the email is....
You can find additional information and tips about buying and selling safely on our Business Resource Center at https://www.paypal-businesscenter.com/buy-and-sell-safely
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

I don't think it's fake & PayPal didn't say it was but it honestly would make more sense
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Send it to spoof@paypal.com and don't click on anything until 'spoof' confirms it is the real thing.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

The email is genuine and is probably generated by an algorithm when you make "more than average" PayPal claims.

I got mine today following a string of bad buying experiences and consequent claims. I was concerned about this even before getting the email.

One item never arrived ... so a claim. Another was not as described and although buyer and seller agreed to a small refund, buyer did not pay up as the clock ran out ... so another claim. Another was an item meant for Europe not very useful for Can/US TV .. but not disclosed in description.

There is no point in getting excited about such an email and no point in wasting PayPal staff's time contacting them about it. The email is more of an alert for high number of claims, a plea to be careful not to generate too many in future and a threat to withdraw buyer protection.

With my three problem purchases I was already wondering if eBay was worth continuing with ... even with buyer protection. When something never arrives, for instance, you lose about 2 months waiting before ordering elsewhere. My concern is the part of the email that says I might be denied protection if there's another issue soon.

So, I have transferred my cash out but not yet decided whether to cancel the PayPal account ... and that would also mean doing the same with eBay.

So whilst I do urge members not to overreact if they get this email, I do have concerns about the number of bum purchases and the need for continuing protection.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

i get that mesage today too.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

A day or 2 after I got that email I recieved another email that was obviously fake that I forwarded to PayPal & they replied saying it was definitely a phishing scam. I assume that first one was too since as I said the first 2 people at PayPal said my account looked fine & I definitely hadn't opened many claims compared to the number of purchases I had made.
Message 10 of 10
latest reply