I bought a pair of shoes and when they arrived they were not as described.

I bought a pair of shoes and they  were not as described. I contacted the seller and sent her pictures of the shoes at her request. She did not respond after I sent her the photos.I was forced to put a claim against the purchase. I paid through Paypal and therefore EBAY instructed me to file the claim  through them. The resolution centre ask me for a statement in which I explained the issue. The seller claimed I did not send photos to her and that the shoes were worn once.The photos I sent to her through the ebay website clearly differ from the photos on the ebay posting by the seller. I have tried to contact Paypal but I cannot find a phone number or email address anywhere. My issue is ....does EBAY and PAYPAL support a buyer beware attitude. Since when can a seller abuse the site by falsely representing items? I was clearly misled and I should be compensated rather than the seller getting away with their actions. Why would one continue to shop at EBAY  if they do not stand by their buyers? How can I dispute the decision by Paypal?

Thank you,

Regards,

Disgruntled buyer.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

If the seller refuses to refund voluntarily, Paypal will tell the buyer to return the item to the seller.

The buyer is told to use Delivery Confirmation/tracking . The postage for this will NOT be refunded.

If the seller does not refund when she gets the item back, Paypal will refund the buyer and go after the seller for their money.

So, on the one hand, you will be refunded. On the other hand, you will be out the cost of return postage (with tracking) unless the seller decides that she was wrong and refunds it as a separate payment.

And you are not the first to think that is unfair, but if you return something to WalMart, they won't be refunding you the cost of your bus tickets either.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Hello and thank you for your reply. The resolution centre for PayPal did not approve of  the refund.The shoes are clearly not what they were described as.Should I send them back to the seller. I fear I will be out the cost of the shoes. I realize I will have to pay for shipping. For me, it is the principle of the issue, preserving the integrity of the Ebay buying experience.

Thank you   

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Hello,

I contacted Paypal and spoke with an agent who assured me they would review the case. Paypal claimed they had reviewed the advert and had affirmed that the shoes were used. The seller claimed they were worn once. When I received them it was clearly not the case. Paypal did not request to view my photos, nor did the seller give an explanation after she received the images. What prevents a seller from posting a pic of a item in good shape, and then continue to use it and send it after it has changed in condition? The paypal agent could not answer this question. I am very disappointed in Paypals attitude toward protecting the buyer and their attitude seems to be buyer beware.They mentioned they would review the case and 10 minutes later I received an email stating the case is closed in favour of seller. No attempt at a review...lip service only !What advantage is there to using paypal?

Thanks...feeling ripped off!

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Paypal in my experience does not defend the buyer. They mentioned they would review my case, including viewing pictures , but that was merely lip service. What advantage is there in using and paying for a service that seems to honour the Buyer Beware mentality.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Paypal was not interested in reviewing my claim. They appear to have a buyer beware attitude. solution...not to use their services!
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

The case is now closed, so this is for future reference only.

If you cannot prove that the shoes were returned to the seller, Paypal will not refund you.

Period.
You cannot have both the shoes and the money.

Period.

You can still go to the credit card you actually paid with (using PP as the mediator) and phone the 1-800 customer service number. Ask about a chargeback.

It is likely they will require proof that the shoes have been returned to the seller, but some cards allow proof of shipping rather than proof of delivery.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply