PayPal limited choices for Canada Post

73rhc
Community Member
I don't know if this has been asked. Why are the options for shipping labels so limited on PayPal.

I have an item going to Germany. When I put in the weight and dimensions, xpresspost is my only option. Having checked Canada Posts site, I know that there is international parcel- surface. Xpresspost is $95 and int. parcel is $50. I know about the tracking and the lack of, in both instances. But the buyer wouldn't pay the $95 and I won't absorb it, as it would not be worth it.

The other 4 options given are not possible due to weight overage.
Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

At what point is the service stipulated?

And are you using metric measurements?

When I set up a listing, I can choose any service from a long dropdown list. EBay recently started notifying that certain dimensions did not match those for the chosen service.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

The services are mentioned when trying to purchase a shipping label. The choice are there even before weight and dimensions are input. They are there as default choices.

As for my listing, there was nothing set up for Germany. I set up for Canada and US. The other country was TBD.

P.S. I always use metric.
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

If your item is big, heavy and valuable, Xpresspost really is your only option with Canada Post. International Parcel Surface is not presented as an option in Paypal shipping because, although it is tracked, it will take up to eight weeks to be delivered and that is too long to expect a buyer to wait. 

You can take it to a private courier, but chances are that it will cost more and your buyer will be slapped with higher customs brokerage fees. This is the unfortunate reality of overseas shipping from Canada. 

If you do want to send it via courier, I'd suggest DHL since it is based in Germany. 

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

I'm not positive but I think that only commercial customers can buy international parcel surface and air online. Others have to go to the post office. If it was just that PayPal was concerned about the time surface took, then they wouldn't give the option of small packet surface as it can take just as long.
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

I think that might be it.

No offence to the previous poster, but the point is not how I should send it. But why isn't the option available via PayPal.
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

With all due respect, the only point to printing your shipping label via Paypal is for the discounts it offers from using its partners.

Those partners are Canada Post and now Fed-Ex. Only those. 

As a seller, you are not married to paypal shipping.

You can visit any other courier online and print your shipping label directly.

The only stipulation is that you then upload it manually to ebay and/or paypal. Add it under Tracking. 

In short, there is no law that says you have to use paypal to print your shipping label. It therefore would make no sense for paypal shipping to offer a label-printing service that no one needs. The choice is out there for anything you want to utilize. 

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

(Now, if the question is why doesn't Paypal offer discounts for more partners and better discounts for the ones it does..... well, then, I'd like to know too. I half-believe ebay is what's keeping Canada Post in business these days and I'd like the discount offered to be a little more competitive. If you counted all the shipping labels generated by Paypal for Canada Post, I'm certain they number the same as any other large online retailer so better discount, please! 

But that is another matter entirely.)

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Paypal shipping doesn't let you print a shipping label for small packet surface any longer. This stopped about two years ago. Only Small Packets Airmail, Tracked Packets Airmail and International Xpresspost. (To the best of my recollection. I have no outstanding international orders at the moment so I can't tinker with the label options.) 

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Paypal shipping doesn't let you print a shipping label for small packet surface any longer. This stopped about two years ago. Only Small Packets Airmail, Tracked Packets Airmail and International Xpresspost. (To the best of my recollection. I have no outstanding international orders at the moment so I can't tinker with the label options.) 

Small Packet USA Surface shipping surface was discontinued by Canada Post 2 years ago.

Small Packet International Air and Surface shipping services are still available from Canada Post and are available on PayPal Shipping.

Canada Post Insurance was discontinued from Small Packet services 2 years ago when SP USA service was dropped. (Third party insurance is available from InsurePost, U-Pic, shipsurance for some countries if needed with restrictions on what items are covered.)

Please note that you only see the shipping options available for the country selected in the shipping address. You need to change the country to something other than Canada or USA to say France to see Small Packet Surface option.

Here is a screenshot of shipping options to France

PayPal ShipNow France CP Shipping Services.jpg

PS PayPal ShipNow option allows you to create a shipping label without any eBay sale. You get all the discounts as before. You can ship personal items, items sold directly, whatever. The discount are a PayPal discount available anytime.

I used PayPal ShipNow to start the creation of a shipping label to see the shipping services to France.

it is impossible to find the ShipNow option in PayPal. Here is a direct link to PayPal ShipNow. Bookmark it or put on your browser toolbar for easy access.

https://www.paypal.com/ca/shipnow

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

As for International Parcel Air and Surface, you cannot use PayPal for these services as mentioned above. You have to go to the post office to fill out the form (similar to manual Small Packet CN22 form).

The good news is that if you have a Canada Post Venture One card with 5% discount, International Parcel services qualify for the discount! One of the very rare times A Venture One card is useful!

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

I'm fairly sure that the OP is aware that it is not necessary to use PayPal shipping but it is obviously more convenient if all options are available in one place. As far as International surface being a service that no one uses, there are sellers who sell heavier items who do use it but as I said, i don't think that PayPal is able to offer labels for that service.
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Thank you, "PJ".  "mjwl" is not reading my original post. When did I say I was married to printing shipping labels on Paypal??? I use it for convenience only!!! I can get a discount at the counter with my Venture card.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

I stand corrected and I am moving on. 

Message 14 of 14
latest reply