Paypal just screwed up and it cost me $40.00. Has anyone else had a problem with paypal customer ser

I spend around $400.00 a month on ebay and have had a terrible experience with paypal that all ebay shoppers should know about.  On November 22, 2015, I  realized I was running a bit short in my checking account so I called paypal and asked if they could bill my charge card directly.  They said no problem and walked me through the process of having my credit card billed.  On November 24,I checked my account and my orders were still being processed through my checking account.  I called paypal and could not get an answer on why this was happening. I informed them that I had an order for $154.00 going through and I wouldn't have enough money in my account until Nov.26.  They said no problem that the order wouldn't go through until Nov.26. It did go through and it went NSF and was charged $40.00.  I talked to a supervisor who contacted the bank while I was on the phone and asked the bank to stop the NSF because they have no recourse to return my money.  I personally will not use ebay any more and will only deal with credit cards.  As a Canadian I also realized that paypal uses.73 cents/dollar as an exchange rate even though ebay uses the current rate. If anyone knows how I can contact PayPal executive please let me know. RS

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Paypal just screwed up and it cost me $40.00. Has anyone else had a problem with paypal customer ser

If you have both a bank account and a credit card linked to your paypal account, you have to select one or the other each time you checkout. If you are set to automatically checkout without logging in, it will just use the last choice you made. Is this possibly the problem? I change my funding methods EVERY time I use paypal to buy something. Sometimes, I want to use my balance, while others I might alternate between a bank account and credit card. But the point is that I have to make the new selection myself if I want it to change. It's a lot easier to spot on a desktop computer but NOT on a mobile device or app. 

But sorry to hear about the NSF bounce and fee for it. That does kind of suck. 

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Paypal customer service used to be quite good so it's strange that they would tell you they could change your payment method since as mj said, you have to do that when you pay. I don't think that they are even legally allowed or able to change it on their own so whoever you talked to likely gave you wrong information.

Both paypal and ebay use the current exchange rate but paypal does charge a conversion fee of 2.5% just like most banks do.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

I don't even use a Paypal app and I think I somehow had my Paypal account set up that I can't even use my phone or tablet browser to login... So whatever shopping I need to do is always done with my desktop computer online so that I can pay with my desired method (credit card) every time. 

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

I made three purchases yesterday on paypal and two allowed me to make a choice to use credit card, but one didn't give me a chance, and went right from my purchase to item payed.  They do have a glitch in their system so be careful. RS

Message 5 of 5
latest reply