Prepaid credit card usage via Paypal

I got a number of prepaid credit cards as gifts for my birthday last month.  I would like to use them to purchase merchandise on Ebay.  However, Paypal doesn't allow me to confirm them so I can't use them. I am in Canada using Ebay.ca, and the cards are in CDN$. Any suggestions? And yes I did activate them through their respective internet sites.  Thank you

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Prepaid credit card usage via Paypal

mcrlmn
Community Member

Anti-money laundering laws, etc. prevent gift cards from being cashed out, so there goes a second option.

But  some claim to have done so. In which case the cash could be transferred to PayPal or linked to a bank account.

You're out of luck if the latter doesn't work;and relegated to in person transactions.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Here is PayPal's page on pre-paid gift cards. I have no experience with them myself so I can't give any direct advice, but perhaps this will be helpful to you:

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/template-management/prepaid-gift-cards

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

I just realized the link is for PayPal in the U.S., not Canada. At the bottom of the page, the last answer in the FAQ says:

"You may also get an error message if your prepaid card was not issued in the U.S. or if you are trying to buy from an international merchant."

I can't find a matching Canada page, so perhaps prepaid cards on PayPal is only possible in the U.S.?

Again, I don't know for sure, and I apologize for linking to something that doesn't apply to you. I guess my quick little Google search wasn't as successful as I thought.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

@ca2015-malin wrote:

I got a number of prepaid credit cards as gifts for my birthday last month.  I would like to use them to purchase merchandise on Ebay.  However, Paypal doesn't allow me to confirm them so I can't use them. I am in Canada using Ebay.ca, and the cards are in CDN$. Any suggestions? And yes I did activate them through their respective internet sites.  Thank you

I f they are prepaid credit cards, and not merchant gift cards. use them for gas, meals, groceries etc and use the money you did not spend to purchase on Ebay.

As they say, it all comes out of and goes into the same pocket.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply