Snowbird with USD account in USA can't use as payment method

Is anyone else experiencing this problem and/or have you figured out a way around this?

I am a Snowbird.  Live in Canada, have a US vacation property and a USD bank account in the States which I routinely use as my preferred payment method.

For the past three months or so, every time I go to pay for an item on eBay (.ca or .com) the only payment methods that PayPal is offering me are my Canadian bank accounts or credit cards.

This is making me absolutely crazy.  I've transferred funds to the US account in the States in order to pay for items and neither eBay check out or logging in directly to PayPal will allow me to use the US account as my payment method.

I've called eBay support and I spent a couple of hours on the phone with PayPal support and none of them can resolve the matter.

All bank accounts, including the one in the US, are confirmed for many years. 

This is a relatively recent problem and none of the Tech people seem to be able to fix this.

I'm so annoyed with both eBay and PayPal right now...

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Why don't you transfer money from the bank account to paypal first -- then pay using your US$ paypal balance.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Because it says 2-3 days for the transfer to complete before I can pay the vendor.  I want to pay immediately - like I always used to be able to do. 

Why has PayPal removed a confirmed bank account from my payment sources?

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

@cadillac_girl wrote:

Because it says 2-3 days for the transfer to complete before I can pay the vendor.  I want to pay immediately - like I always used to be able to do. 

Why has PayPal removed a confirmed bank account from my payment sources?

Do you have a US credit card that backs (confirms) that US$ bank account?

-..-

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

No, I can't get a US credit card because I don't have a Social Security number.  We have Social Insurance Numbers in Canada.

It's a confirmed bank account anyways.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@cadillac_girl wrote:

No, I can't get a US credit card because I don't have a Social Security number.  We have Social Insurance Numbers in Canada.

It's a confirmed bank account anyways.

My understanding is that paypal requires a credit card to back the bank account to be able to use the account for immediate payment. And you should be able to use any credit card that can deal with US$, not just a credit card that is based in the USA.

That said, paypal may have changed the rules from the last time I was paying attention (which was a few years ago).

-..-

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

It was never the case before.  I've used this account for years with no problem and used it to pay eBay and PayPal invoices as recently as early Nov.  It's been appearing and disappearing as one of my sources for three months.  I kept logging out and logging back in until it finally came up as a source.  Suddenly, it's no longer available at all even though it's still listed on my summary. This is definitely a fault with PayPal's security algorithms. As a long-time customer they have seriously p'd me off.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Once you done it, then it will be smooth.  Just be patience and tell the sellers of the delay(s).

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

?

I already have more than 863 transactions on eBay and even more on PayPal.  It's been smooth - Up until a couple of weeks ago.  This is absolutely a fault in PayPal's new (and they assume, improved) security algorithm. It's bad code and they need to fix it.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@cadillac_girl wrote:

?

I already have more than 863 transactions on eBay and even more on PayPal.  It's been smooth - Up until a couple of weeks ago.  This is absolutely a fault in PayPal's new (and they assume, improved) security algorithm. It's bad code and they need to fix it.

Ah... so you have no interest in modifying things on your end so your US$ bank account works -- you just want paypal to fix their system.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

No, I just don't understand why what used to work seamlessly now no longer works.  It's definitely a recent PayPal issue. I've already set my primary currency to US to no effect. I've also set up a new PayPal account that is US-based in case this condition is permanent but it will take a few days for it to be confirmed/verified.  And I've transferred the immediately needed amount from the US based bank account into my existing PayPal US balance so that I can pay the invoice that I need to - again, it will be 3 to 5 days before the funds become available even though I see they've already debited the bank account.  I noticed another thread on this board discussing PayPal's excessive exchange rates to convert from Canadian funds to US (opinions vary), but I'm beginning to suspect that this new condition is really just another cash grab by PayPal?  Anyways, I've taken steps to mitigate the situation but I'm not happy about having to go this circuitous route.  Bottom line is, it used to work properly, why can't PayPal fix this so it works again? It's my account, my confirmed payment options, my choice to select which source I want to use. Not PayPal's right to force me to constantly buy US currency at their elevated exchange rates.  I think I have every right to be annoyed with them.  I just needed to find out if anyone else has encountered this problem and if they had found a proper fix for it.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply