pay pal shipping not available...again

Haven't been able to use PayPal shipping for the last couple of days. Contacted PP and here is what they had to say: "I'm so sorry that you're having issues with our shipping platform. This is a confirmed bug that our technicians are aware of and are actively trying to fix the issue. I added your account to the ticket, so they can fix it. Allow 24 - 48 hours in order to get resolved. Thanks for understanding and have a wonderful weekend."

This has already been going on for 24-48 hours and they don't seem any closer to fixing it. So if any of you are having problems...don't hold your breath.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

That's not great news. 

I haven't had anything to ship since mid-week. 

What is the bug? Where do you get hung up?

Can you try CPC's EST and use a Solutions for Small Business account to gain a modest discount as well as access to Expedited parcel?

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

@judithsjewellery wrote:

Haven't been able to use PayPal shipping for the last couple of days. Contacted PP and here is what they had to say: "I'm so sorry that you're having issues with our shipping platform. This is a confirmed bug that our technicians are aware of and are actively trying to fix the issue. I added your account to the ticket, so they can fix it. Allow 24 - 48 hours in order to get resolved. Thanks for understanding and have a wonderful weekend."

This has already been going on for 24-48 hours and they don't seem any closer to fixing it. So if any of you are having problems...don't hold your breath.

Is it one shipment or all shipments? I ask because no one is reporting issues with PayPal shipping (yet!).

Sometimes one item does not work with PayPal shipping. If the address is very long and exceeds 25- 30 characters it will say PayPal shipping is not available. I have had issues with long city names in Quebec Province, international in Europe with long street address or city names or long province state. Maybe 5-10 times over the years I had a too long address line issue. I have not used PayPal shipping in the past year or so since I am using discount postage stamps for the small items I sell.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

You are correct, that is also a distinct possibility. 

The error messages provided by Paypal Shipping are frustratingly non-specific. Paypal Shipping is Not Available At This Time is what you get no matter what the underlying problem may be. 

Sometimes it can be a n name or address that is a little too long (although, come to think of it, I think that one does have a specific error message to go with it) but it can also be a character in the buyer's name or address that has no English keyboard equivalent to their own. The tool cannot cope with that and says, Paypal Shipping is Not Available At This Time instead of something that might be more helpful like, This address does not make sense to my robot brain. 

If your buyer is foreign, try tinkering with the address. If it has some non-English words in it, that may also be a problem for the tool. I once almost had a total meltdown over paypal shipping's inability to recognize the way the Dutch put their street names first and numbers last in their addresses.

If the buyer is Canadian, trying googling their address to see if what you got may be incomplete.

Finally, document the error here so that if you cannot ship within your stated Handling Time you can appeal (maybe) any Late Shipment Defect you might get.

Good luck. 

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I used pp shipping yesterday without a problem.

I did get that message a week or so ago with an international label.  I find that most often when I have a problem with an intl label it has something to do with the state/province field.  In this case when I clicked on edit address on the label, the state was not showing in that field even though I could see the state in the address in the pp transaction info.  When I added the state info I was able to print the label.. I don't know if that was really the problem but it did work.

In the past, I have had to take the state out....that field is optional in most countries but it has often caused problems when it is not in the address.  Before I do that, I do check a site to see how that country usually addresses their mail.

http://www.upu.int/en/activities/addressing/postal-addressing-systems-in-member-countries.html

I sometimes have to first google the location names in order to tell which name  is the city, area, state etc.  The wrong name might just be in the wrong field.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

After posting this I was browsing around and found another thread about the same problem, of course I can't find it now.Smiley Sad

This has happened on the last two labels I have tried to print. As I said previously PayPal is aware of it, they are working on it but who knows when it will be fixed. Apparently this "bug" as they call it is not affecting all accounts. 

Of course I can always use CP to print the label or do it the old fashioned way and use a penSmiley Surprised No need to panic and document everything, since the buyer are all in the US there is no problem with symbols that the program doesn't recognize.

This was more of an FYI in case others have the same problem. You will have to contact PayPal so they know to look at your account.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

While PayPal customer support is far better than eBay customer support, I would still be a little skeptical.

Did you try another browser? Clearing cache and cookies?

Message 7 of 7
latest reply