1000 free FP listings starting tomorrow: legit?

Did anyone else receive this promo? Its in my email but not in my ebay email or in my Selling Manager on either of my stores. No way I am clicking on Activate Offer without seeing it in ebay.

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

I didn't receive any mention of it, but that is not unusual for me. If I am invited, I don't see it until the start in my selling manager. As you can't list until tomorrow, it would be safer to wait until then, I am sure someone will come up with the link if it is genuine.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

It's legit.

http://pages.ebay.ca/promo/2015/0625/Sitewide.html

Just about the same time as last month. I wish it was for 2000 though like last month, but I'll take the thousand. 🙂

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

I didn't receive any mention of it, but that is not unusual for me. If I am invited, I don't see it until the start in my selling manager. As you can't list until tomorrow, it would be safer to wait until then, I am sure someone will come up with the link if it is genuine.

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

It's legit.

Just about the same time as last month. I wish it was for 2000 though like last month, but I'll take the thousand. 🙂

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

You've accepted the offer "List free – up to 1,000, 30-day fixed price listings".

*does the happy dance* I didn't get an e-mail or anything like that in ebay message (yet) so thanks for posting! 

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

Aaaaaaand "sell similar" still works like a charm. Happy listing people Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

I did not receive any emails but it is in my "Promotional Offers" on my "My ebay" page.

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

Offer appeared on Selling Manager Summary page

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

@gillian1023 wrote:
It's legit.

No email for me as of yet, either onsite or off, however I was able to activate the promo from the link provided.

A "glass is half empty" sort of person would be thinking at this point that this lack of notification of the promo is by design and not by mistake. Could Ebay actually be that stupid as to continuosly mess this up after so many times and so many people complaining? I doubt even Ebay is thatt retarded.

Another piece in the mysterious puzzle of   Ebay!

Thank you for the link gillian!

thD

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

Woo-hoo!!  This one makes me deliriously happy, perfect timing, perfect listing type.  Woman LOL

However, I no longer rely on eBay to give me email notification.  Thanks Gillian for posting this; I found my offer in the promotional section of my Summary page after reading this thread. 

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

I never get the emails about these; they simply show up on the Selling Manager page.

I will be hard-pressed to utilize this no matter how much I might need it at this time of the month, however, since I am one of the unlucky few sellers whose mandatory Product Identifiers has been required two weeks earlier than announced AND the advance work I did to include UPC on the listings was pointless. I am now altering 829 listings by hand. Again.  

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

email just came in from eBay.  It was sent at 1:20 Eastern time this afternoon.

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

email just came in from eBay.  It was sent at 1:20 Eastern time this afternoon.

Still didn't get it. Neither as an email or as a message in ebay Messages but it does show in the Selling Manager and has been activated.

So.... (awkward silence)....

Anyone else discover the hard way that a 'sell similar' wipes out the existing data in your listing's UPC field? At least tonight it has; I can't speak for previously and cannot predict the future but I can tell you that I manually revised 43 listings this evening to include the UPC as required and then tried to 'sell similar' from those listings at which point the UPC field was wiped clean as a newborn baby's bottom. Tried it both in the Bulk tool and as individual listings. Nothing, zip, zilch, nada.  

Don't say I didn't warn you. Write them down before you attempt it. Or create a dummy item specific category with the UPC data and call it Product Identifier or something. Or it will be gone if and when you attempt to utilize that listing to 'sell similar' from it.  

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

Using Sell Similar will wipe out the UPC. This is deliberate design by eBay for the UPC field to prevent accidental carrying forward of a UPC when creating a new item listing using Sell Similar. This was posted by an eBay employee a couple of weeks ago in their weekly forum.

In the weekly forum on eBay.com, sellers told ebay that this was going to cause issues with sellers trying to list for free promos as well as just refreshing listings that have gone stale in search.

Nothing to do about this UPC issue at this time except complain.

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

Using Sell Similar will wipe out the UPC. This is deliberate design by eBay for the UPC field to prevent accidental carrying forward of a UPC when creating a new item listing using Sell Similar. This was posted by an eBay employee a couple of weeks ago in their weekly forum.

In the weekly forum on eBay.com, sellers told ebay that this was going to cause issues with sellers trying to list for free promos as well as just refreshing listings that have gone stale in search.

If I had been thinking straight, I would have anticipated this. Of course, a 'sell similar' has to wipe the UPC field clean or there would be no end of accidental items listed with the wrong UPC. It can be no other way. Unless ebay decides to flag it with a 'Are you sure this is the correct UPC for your item?' on the form, it will stay like this. I was lost in a brainfog at the time. Was it really stated explicitly on the eBay Canada Board Hour? I don't know how I missed it then. Other than that I am sucked into a quicksand of UPCs at the moment and searching for an low-lying vine to grasp. 

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

@pocomocomputing wrote:

If I had been thinking straight, I would have anticipated this. Of course, a 'sell similar' has to wipe the UPC field clean or there would be no end of accidental items listed with the wrong UPC. It can be no other way. Unless ebay decides to flag it with a 'Are you sure this is the correct UPC for your item?' on the form, it will stay like this. I was lost in a brainfog at the time. Was it really stated explicitly on the eBay Canada Board Hour? I don't know how I missed it then. Other than that I am sucked into a quicksand of UPCs at the moment and searching for an low-lying vine to grasp. 

Not in the eBay Canada forum weekly session. If I recall correctly it was in the eBay.com USA weekly session just before the UPC error message showed up in the Sell Your item form. It was referenced a few more times in the USA forums. I think I mentioned it here in some topic.

Not that history of where and when matters. The required UPC is the problem. Bulk editing using Sell Similar is a problem.

I can see making your own Item Specific say called My UPC to save the UPC in a listings Item Specifics and when Bulk Editing with Sell Similar, copying from MY UPC to UPC. Hopefully the My UPC will show up and hopefully the two can be positioned close together to do a quick copy + paste. I don't think they can be side by side. But you would have to experiment with this to see what you can and cannot do with this idea.

I have read that Item Specifics get reset sometimes when a category changes their Item Specifics. I do not know if this is eBay Item specifics or user Item Specifics as well. From personal experience with Item Specifics, I have had a user Item Specific called HS Code where I place the customs code for shipping. It has been carried forward in all Relists and Sell Similar for the paste 1+ years that HS code was required by Canada Post for some shipping services.

The other listing user field that is carried forward unchanged by Sell Similar is the Custom Label field. I just did a test with Bulk Edit and I can put the Custom Label field and the UPC/ISBN/EAN field side by side in bulk edit for an easy copy + paste from Custom Label to the UPC/ISBN/EAN field.  Whether this will speed up the transfer one by one, you decide.

The nice part about Custom Label is the it can be edited inline without opening the listing in Selling Manager in Active Listing view and even in Completed listings Sold and UnSold view. So adding the correct UPC to Custom Label is easy. Turbo Lister also sees the Custom Label field. So you can add them in Selling Manager and see which have the UPC at a glance.

Custom Label is shown by default so you need to use customize in Selling Manger to show and position the field in Active, Sold and UnSold listings views. Same with Bulk Edit, you need to turn on Custom Label and move ti to somewhere close to UPC field.

Just some rambling thoughts on how to make a workaround for this issue of UPC not carrying forward. The Custom Label method seems to be the better one than having My UPC.

Some of my categories require a UPC field but are used items where I cannot find a UPC so I need to just enter the Does not apply. Even that gets wiped out on Sell Similar and is a pain for me to have to enter this. For the few items that do have UPC, I need to include it in the listings or in My UPC or Custom Label so I do not have to go look at the item to find UPC again.

PS Of course the listing Title is an obvious place to place the UPC. Another possibility.

Message 15 of 22
latest reply

If I had been thinking straight, I would have anticipated this. Of course, a 'sell similar' has to wipe the UPC field clean or there would be no end of accidental items listed with the wrong UPC. It can be no other way.

I can see their point however all other item specifics stay when sell similar is used so of course sellers are going to assume that the upc code stays as well. I do think that there must be some other way they can handle this.

Was it really stated explicitly on the eBay Canada Board Hour?

It was mentioned on the June 17th board hour - post 15

But you seemed to be a tad stressed that day so I can see how it slipped by.

Message 16 of 22
latest reply

Excellent, excellent advice and information as always. Thank you very much pocomo and pj.

Message 17 of 22
latest reply

I finally got an email last night with the offer, a bit late, but I have not actually had one for a couple of years.

Message 18 of 22
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Me too, I wish 2,000 even 5,000.

Just wonder, it used to be fixed priced then auction-style then fixed priced then auction-style and so on.  Now we are getting the fixed price and again fixed price.  Hope next time is auction-style free listings promo real soon. 

Message 19 of 22
latest reply

My last 3 free listing promos have all been the 30 day fixed price. I use Turbo Lister so most of the time I don't have to do the "Sell Similar" method. Uploading from Turbo Lister treats listings as new listings.

Message 20 of 22
latest reply