2014 Fall seller update re tracking on shipping from Canada

I am very disappointed with the 2014 shipping requirements for tracking for shipping from Canada. I think this update is unfair discrimination targeted to favor US sellers.  I ship inexpensive lightweight packages using the Light Packets method. As a result of the new tracking requirements I have lost my Top-rated status plus on ebay.com because I am not able to validate tracking for Light Packets to US buyers. This has definitely affected the placement of my listings in Best Match on ebay.com. I was almost always ranked in the in the top spot but no longer am. US sellers can use First class shipping and receive free delivery confirmation when they print a label through PayPal but that option isn't available for Canadian sellers for the similar type of Light Packets shipping. As a result since I have now lost my Top-rated plus status on ebay.com,  I see no incentive to offer extended holiday refunds to maintain it and actually when it gets right down to it even print my shipping labels through PayPal any longer since there is no advantage to me to do so. I may as well save myself some money on ink and paper and just use the shipping labels supplied by Canada Post.

EBay has mentioned that validated tracking will be available for Canadian sellers later in the year. Later doesn't quite cut it. Now is when we need as the holiday season is just around the corner. Sorry if I sound frustrated, but it seems that every year when the new fall updates come into effect they make things more difficult for Canadian sellers. Any suggestions as to how to work around this. Using Tracked Packet is not a viable option when the cost for it is higher than the cost of the majority of the items sell.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

I do not quite agree. I have heard these lies for over eight years. I was told at Live in 2006 that eBay was meeting with CP, as we spoke, and that prices with tracking were imminent. Insert crickets chirping.

I do not believe we will ever have cost effective tracking. For the tiny number of eBay shippers that want it, CP will not do it. I would not pay $1 extra for it, for any reason. I would save that dollar.

Photobucket
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

EBay's ultimate goal is to rid itself of small and medium sized sellers.  It has forgotten where it came from and who made it.  I have this week's lisitngs and then I'm done.  Between this tracking requirement and the arbitrary Money Back Guarantee, I'm done with trying to grow my business here.  It can no longer be done in eBay.  Greed has gotten the better of them and to heck with the "little" sellers.  So sick of the dictatorship that this site has become.

Buyer responsibilities state that when you bid on an item or commit to buy, you have agreed to the seller's terms.  Then Ebay overrides the seller terms and gives the buyer all kinds of unwarranted rights and ends up screwing the same sellers who make them all their money!  Talk about bad business practices... maybe Ebay should practice some of what it preaches and forces on its sellers!

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I've begun to add a disclaimer to my listings.  I bold it so every customer who reads my description will see it.  It reads:

IMPORTANT SHIPPING INFORMATION:

Due to eBay's new Money Back Guarantee, shipping options are limited to traceable packages for Seller Protection. Customs and duty fees are NOT included in the shipping cost and are the sole responsibility of the buyer.  We apologize for any inconvenience and added costs this may incur.

PLEASE FILE ANY COMPLAINTS WITH EBAY AS THIS IS OUT OF OUR CONTROL.

If eBay insists on over-protection for the buyer, then the buyer will pay more in the end so I can protect myself while following their dictatorial rules.  If it forces me out of the market, then in the end it is ebay that loses my sales (I can go elsewhere).

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Due to eBay's new Money Back Guarantee, shipping options are limited to traceable packages for Seller Protection.

Ebay and Paypal already required delivery confirmation in order for a seller to win an item not received case. What's the difference now and why change your shipping methods? Why not charge a little bit more and build up a 'self insurance' fund that you can dip into when there are problems.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Why do you need tracking for a $1 item?  

Message 6 of 6
latest reply