About Me Page ??????????

I don't know how I missed this and it looks like it has been a while - but when did the old "About Me" page dissapear - I spent a lot of time and effort on that thing and now it's gone.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

About Me Page ??????????

eBay decided to pull the plug on the "about me" pages last year. There was an announcement on eBay.com.

It seems too many sellers were using the feature to attract buyers to buy outside eBay.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

About Me Page ??????????

@pierrelebel wrote:

It seems too many sellers were using the feature to attract buyers to buy outside eBay.

That may be one of the reasons, but eBay did, after all, permit (even encourage) people to put links and photographs, etc. on the "Me" pages for a number of years.  They had only themselves to blame if it backfired on their new "high tech/high fashion" retail image. 

I think the main reason for the deletion of the "Me" pages was that it furthered eBay's agenda to homogenize and depersonalize the site to make it better resemble a big online commercial retailer.  They really don't want to project the image of individual little sellers all over the place doing unusual, unique or "funky" things anymore.  Now we will all look the same -- a pared-down "profile" page with few options, that says nothing about the individual behind the ID.  

I agree completely with 'ross' -- I was extremely disappointed to see the "Me" pages disappear.  I too spent a lot of time and effort on mine, to give my customers some insight into what I do and how I create my items, and put a face to the seller ID.  

I also found other people's "Me" pages interesting -- even fascinating -- as an insight into some of the myriad of ways of selling on this site.  Of course anybody, buyers included, could have a "Me" page, but sellers (like you and I, and obviously 'ross' too) were often very good at inviting prospective customers in to discover something about the seller him/herself. 

To 'Ross' - Yes, eBay pulled the plug on this quite a number of months ago.  It started with an announcement about a year ago that people could no longer edit their "Me" pages and that they would be discontinued.  Then one day last summer they just vanished, to morph into the plain vanilla "Profile" page we now all see.  I've discovered it's useless to try to "personalize" that page, and of course followers and highlighted items only go round and round inside eBay itself.

By the way, this isn't the only personalized feature eBay has dropped over the past year!  I've learned that when a feature begins not to work properly, i.e. when editing becomes difficult or impossible, watch out -- that feature may be about to disappear.  They did this to the Promotion Boxes (which I used to love using), and to some aspects of the store headers.  Get ready, because the next thing you know I think those old customized store headers are about to disappear too.  My prediction is that we'll all be obligated to use the new, one-size-fits-all storefronts by the end of this year.   

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

About Me Page ??????????

As mentioned above, eBay announced the elimination of the About Me page over a year ago and implemented it last year. When they took away the About Me page, the just took the links within eBay pages. You can still access your old About me page using the old About Me URL address format.

http://members.ebay.com/ws2/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=rosscd57

If you (rosscd57) want to save the page for possible future use, you still can get at it for now. Eventually it will be gone, that is, purged from the eBay system. But it takes eBay years to do this. There are still old eBay pages that come up when I use Google search to find something on eBay. Lots of orphaned eBay pages, especially on eBay.ca where they have no staff or money to make pages current, lol.

Anyone wanting to see and save their About Me page, just use the code above and change the eBay id from rosecd57 to yours and paste it in your browser address bar and press enter.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

About Me Page ??????????

You can still access your old About Me page here:

http://members.ebay.com/ws2/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=rosscd57

The links are all gone from eBay site pages but the info is still there for now.

Copy the info and save it somewhere and save the pictures as well since they are on eBay picture services.

If anyone else wants access to their old About Me page to save the info, just change the link above to have your eBay id instead of roscd57.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply