About to sell again

noatlake
Community Member

Hi guys - I am finally back from the cabin and getting ready to sell again. Have not been active since last May - anything critical that has changed since then?

For instance can I still list on .ca and sell in US dollars? The was some discussion about that before I left.

The fishing in Horsefly Lake was great. The 13 hour drive back to Alberta - not so much.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

About to sell again

"to sell again"

???  There is no selling history on this User ID.

"can I still list on .ca and sell in US dollars?"

Yes but eBay recommends Canadian list and sell in Canadian dollars (except for auto parts category)

Please take a look at this announcement from August 27th:

http://announcements.ebay.ca/2015/08/27/7703/

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

About to sell again

Whoa - what happened there. That is an old user ID from another member of my family that has not been used in years. It looks like I have sorted it out.

Pierre, I took a look at the eBay announcement and I do not buy it. I wonder if they based those stats on North American sales or just Canadian sales. I think the later.

I would prefer to keep listing in US dollars - I think the odd dollar and cent amount from a conversion will frighten them away. I would like to see $25.00. not $29.56. Further -  once the amount is listed it likely will not change but the Canadian dollar could be all over the place - one could lose money.

Anyone out there listing in Canadian dollars and selling to the US have a comment or an opinion on this?

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

About to sell again

I don't think that announcement mentions that if you use sell similar the listing will default to Cdn $ regardless which currency the listing was in previously. You can change it to U.S. Of course but it can be tough to remember to do that each time.  If you use 'relist' the currency stays the same.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

About to sell again

@rosscd57 wrote:

Pierre, I took a look at the eBay announcement and I do not buy it. I wonder if they based those stats on North American sales or just Canadian sales. I think the later.

I would prefer to keep listing in US dollars - I think the odd dollar and cent amount from a conversion will frighten them away. I would like to see $25.00. not $29.56. Further -  once the amount is listed it likely will not change but the Canadian dollar could be all over the place - one could lose money.

Anyone out there listing in Canadian dollars and selling to the US have a comment or an opinion on this?

I completely agree with you, for precisely the reasons you've stated, and then some.  

Since this .ca announcement came out, my argument has been that the ".com cart disconnect" (i.e. inability of .com buyers to use their cart when purchasing from Canadian sellers) could very well have skewed eBay's statistics, as much as the ca. 5% difference they claim to have seen.  Besides, they tell us it may only apply to certain sellers, in certain categories.  What good is switching currencies when the "likely" result may be neutral or worse?  Ridiculous! 

The vast majority of my buyers are American.  Why would I switch to listing in a currency that isn't completely familiar to them when I can still list in $US?  

And if you really want to see how upset Canadian buyers are at the moment, read through the Fall Seller Update and check out this thread.  I don't know how a lot of us who simply can't afford tracking are going to survive this one.  You will probably be OK, because as I recall you sell larger, high-priced items that probably have to go by tracked services anyway.  

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Updates/2015-Fall-Seller-Update/m-p/314736#U314736

By the way, welcome back!  Woman Wink

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

About to sell again

Welcome back.

"Anyone out there listing in Canadian dollars and selling to the US have a comment or an opinion on this?"

As is often the case, I am in minority here. 

From my twenty-eight years in worldwide mail order experience including eighteen years on eBay and other online venues including my own website until retirement - and I list on both eBay.com in US$ and eBay.ca in Cdn$ - eBay is correct to encourage Canadian sellers to list in Canadian dollars (except for auto parts).

All in all it makes sense.

For example, let's say your item is worth Cdn$ 135.00 and you are happy to sell it at that price.

If you list in US$, it will show US$100 on search result pages on eBay.com (that is what viewers will see to make their buying decision) and Cdn$135 on eBay.ca as eBay automatically convert foreign values to Cdn$ on eBay.ca

If you list in Cdn$, it will show Cdn$135 on search result pages on eBay.ca (that is what viewers will see to make their buying decision) and US$100 on eBay.com as eBay automatically convert foreign values to US$ on eBay.com

So listing in Cdn$ should not affect the visibility of your product on either site. The decision making process is not affected.

When listing in Cdn$, a Canadian seller would also list a shipping charge in Cdn$ which is more realistic than listing a charge in US$ when actually paying the same amount in Cdn$

Then there is the savings involved in PayPal conversion.  That works out to a net $25 in your pocket for every $1,000 in sales.

Canadian viewers would also be encouraged to buy from you since they would also save that 2.5% conversion fee annoying many Canadian buyers when buying from a Canadian seller.

The way I see it - WIN - WIN in most instances.

About ten years ago I ran duplicate listings in US$ on eBay.com (using this ID) and in Cdn$ on eBay.ca (using a different ID).  Transactions at the time told me that listing currency was largely immaterial overall.  I had some Canadian buyers purchasing my US$ listings and American buyers purchasing my Cdn$ listings!  That was when we were allowed to run duplicate listings.  The rules have changed since then and the introduction of the TRS 20% discount made it impractical to use two selling IDs.

Good Luck.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

About to sell again

" I wonder if they based those stats on North American sales or just Canadian sales. I think the later."

Its based on total global sales by Canadians.  Of course we don't know the methodology they used or have access to the data and tools they do.  But its easy enough to do some searches and pick out Canadians listing everything in CAN$ doing at least as well or better as those in US$.   Im baffled by the comments we always get claiming buyers "wont understand" or will think the "price is higher".  Its like they've never searched for anything on ebay to see ebay converts all the prices displayed to local curency in every country 

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

About to sell again

One of the other problems I see for Canadian sellers listing in $Cdn on .ca is the management of pricing, especially if one is selling primarily to Americans and has primarily U.S. competitors.  In my situation, for example, listing in $Cdn would involve constantly monitoring and shifting prices to match my U.S. competitors' $US pricing (which stays stable, while mine fluctuates with the falling and rising $Cdn).  

I will continue to list in $US.  I don't like the idea of my U.S. customers seeing one price one day, and another the next.  This issue was less of a concern when the two currencies were at par for a long period, but is definitely a consideration now.  It's the bouncing around and uncertainty that I see as a real issue.  When I list an item at $17.95 US, it will still be $17.95 US a year from now, and I can easily adjust all my pricing in relation to my U.S. counterparts.  

Secondly, although search results display "smart currency", the actual listings don't.  This is bound to cause some "sticker shock" to U.S. buyers who suddenly see a higher number when they click through to an item.  Some may just see the number itself and hit reverse.  In my view, anything that avoids the back button syndrome is a good thing!  Some buyers are not as sophisticated as other demographics.  

Obviously the choice may be different for sellers with a broad mix of U.S., Canadian and international buyers. 

Message 8 of 8
latest reply