Address was correct, but registered item was returned. Refund or resending options?

This week an item was returned to me after being sent to Italy. It included an apology letter (polite Japan Post for you) that stated "reason unclear" for the mis-delivery. I've asked the buyer if he wants to have it re-sent. I do not believe JP would cover the cost, even though it was registered, because it was returned only after it was in Italy, out of their hands (strict Japan Post for you).

In searching for similar situations, the recommended option seems to be to open a case for mutually-agreed sale cancellation. Is that the best thing to do? I'll lose out on the shipping fees I spent, but that's not a big deal I suppose..

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Address was correct, but registered item was returned. Refund or resending options?

Japan Post?? Buyer at Italy??? Were you drop-shipping from Japan or something? 

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Welcome to the Canadian forums.

We do not ship to Italy anymore because of issues like this or worse. At least you got your item back. Some really nice items you are selling by the way. If the buyer doesn't respond to the case then you will be stuck with the fees but you already have your item back so no big deal.

(this seller just seems to want an English speaking forum)

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

I'm a Canadian seller living in Japan. eBay doesn't have a Japanese site, so I have to keep using my .ca account.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Thanks for the compliment! I see.. I've heard Italy mentioned before, so I wasn't surprised when this happened.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Ah, I see. I'm not sure what I'd do in this situation because I fortunately haven't encountered it yet, but I do have Italy blocked on my listings. I heard that it's mostly the Italian customs being a PITA and that's why a lot of people don't ship to Italy. I have, however, shipped to Italy a few times during 2010-2012 and there wasn't any problem other than it being a tard slow. When Italian customers contact me via email/eBay messages, I check their feedbacks first to see what kind of feedbacks they have given to other sellers (obviously I'm gonna ignore those that have given negatives out). Then I ask them if they are okay with slow shipping because Italian customs can be troublesome, and if they respond with appropriate understanding, I'm more than happy to make the sale with them. I haven't shipped anything to Italy in 2013 and 2014 so I can't really comment on it.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

By the way, I have had one book that made a round trip from Japan to Canada, back to Japan then back to Canada again. I bought the manga from a Japanese online bookstore using printed matter SAL shipping (usually 2 weeks), and when I finally received the book 2 months later, there was an English note on it that says "This item was returned to this (Japan Post) office without any reason for non-delivery. Please return it to us after indicating the reason for non-delivery with a date-stamp on the back in accordance with Article RL 147.8.1 of the Universal Postal Convention. Thank you in advance." Very polite lol, and nice of them to just send it back to Canada again. I wonder why Canada Post failed to deliver to book to me the first time, but since I didn't get charged extra to have it reshipped, I just shrugged it off.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply