After spending hours putting UPC codes in the system it appears to dump them on the next relist.

After spending hours putting UPC codes in the system it appears to dump them on the next relist. Most of my listings are for Japanese products. Does the omniscient UPC data base have foreign UPC codes and did I just waste massive amounts of my time?

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

After spending hours putting UPC codes in the system it appears to dump them on the next relist.

Thanks, Pierre. I read that on Friday. It was reassuring to see the powers-that-be from ebay stress how very important a task this is; I have agreed with that all along. We NEED product identifiers in order to stay competitive as an online marketplace. I figured out half a year ago that there was something funny going on when I couldn't find my stuff on google but an identical item from amazon would show up 19 times before anything from ebay (usually a dotcom listing expired six months ago) would show in the google search results. 

My issues are not with Product Identifiers but how they have been adopted on ebay.ca.

I spent a considerable amount of time investigating the impact of the new requirement for me when it was announced. None of the issues I raised with the faulty ebay.ca Product Catalogue have ever been addressed and the workarounds I was told to make to correct the lack of a UPC field entirely prior to mid-June did not help. Then came the requirement on June 15 two weeks earlier for me than it was supposed to be. The UPCs that I had entered prior to that did not roll over and so I had to do them all again. PLUS the ones that I had tried to add via the Bulk editor vanished as soon as I hit submit. Then the next ones that I tried to enter were rejected as invalid. Then I raised for the second time that the details in the Product Catalogue for a listing that probably covers almost thousand different Hot Wheels is incorrect.

What else? Or, the Sell Similar feature wiping data from the UPC field of a hundred listings; that was fun but half my fault as I should have guessed as much before I hit submit. I'm sure that I'm forgetting some other parts of this saga but no matter, it's nearly irrelevant now. I have only 115 more listings left to revise (many for the second time because the custom UPC data field I created in May and early June does nothing but sit there like another line of text on my listing) and then I am done with it... until some bug comes along and wipes out all the Item Specifics we've entered or whatever catastrophic event could make this worse. 

If I didn't feel so strongly that Product Identifiers were important, I would have stuck DOES NOT APPLY to each one of my 820 listings and left it at that. 

Happy Monday! 

Message 21 of 21
latest reply