Agressive buyer

I have a buyer that has been messaging me all night, everything was going good until the final price was discussed. He began to get aggressive and demanded I send him a paypal invoice for 2 of the 18 comics we were discussing and just throw the others in for free as they are just 'trash'. The word 'trash' was the first warning sign the others were when he sent another message demanding the invoice that he might not pay tonight and that I take down the listings as we already had a deal. I immediately put him on my Best Buddy List.

The help I need is, Does this stop him from messaging me and clogging up my phone all night? As per professionalism I did not respond in any way once he started making demands.

His last 3 feedback from sellers were of nonpayment and wanting free shipping( against the rules but thankful anyway.) As I wrote about the feedback I just realised that could be why he demanded outside ebay transactions as I have the regular blocks in place for non paying and no paypal accounts.

FYI any deal I make is considered null and void as soon as anybody becomes rude and aggressive.

Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Agressive buyer

Did he actually buy anything? If not he is not a buyer. At best he is a potential customer and mostly a pest.

Good for using the BBL.

If you sent him a PP invoice, delete it. If he sends you money (he won't) refund it.

Go to the PP Resolution Centre and ask them for help. They have a pretty good staff there.

I dont' understand how he got your phone number, but I understand that texts cost the receiver nothing.

So just delete them.

If you have call display, don't answer any calls either. Let them go to voicemail,then delete them.

You could even turn off your phone for a couple of days. Seriously, only turn it on when you need to make a call. It's doable.

After a few days he will give up.

Also you can contact your email provider and have him blocked. You may also be able to contact his provider and complain about harrassment.

Message 2 of 39
latest reply

Agressive buyer

Message 3 of 39
latest reply

Agressive buyer

Sorry my phone is linked to my ebay app. So it dings every time I get a message or when something is sold, paid and when paypal receives any money.

In a moment of the stupids I was going to send him an invoice but that stopped when he referred to the other items as trash.

Some deals are just not worth having just a waste of my Saturday night lol

Message 4 of 39
latest reply

Agressive buyer

Do not respond to anything. Do not engage in any discussion. That is a trick people of this ilk use. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Do not read any texts that are sent. Don not listen to any voice-mail. Simply delete as Stamps says.

Eventually they will find a new target to annoy and will forget about you.

Photobucket
Message 5 of 39
latest reply

Agressive buyer

@kcgwynne wrote:

The help I need is, Does this stop him from messaging me and clogging up my phone all night? As per professionalism I did not respond in any way once he started making demands.

The answer to your question is "No" it does not.

I have had this happen in the past and have found that the most direct and effective way to deal with this is to contact Ebay by telephone and fill them in on the situation. Have them look at the messages in your inbox and inform them that you have already blocked this person from purchasing but that you want them to stop harrassing you as well. They cannot stop him from messaging you but they will send him an email telling him to "cease and desist" or they will take action against his account. Make sure to point out his recent feedback as well.

That should be the end of it at that point.

Cheers,

thD

Message 6 of 39
latest reply

Agressive buyer

Do not respond to anything. Do not engage in any discussion.

Do not read any texts that are sent. Do not listen to any voice mail.

Solid Advice.

Message 7 of 39
latest reply

Agressive buyer

...have found the most direct and effective way to deal with this is to contact eBay by telephone and fill them in on the situation.

Yes, Report The Person.

Trust me, eBay takes these type of complaints very seriously as they can monitor the messages.

Message 8 of 39
latest reply

Agressive buyer

I have had 3 agessive buyers in the last month, No1 was a buyer jumped the gun filed a not recieved item, 4 days after i posted, all his emails and e bays e mails were buried on page 2 of my e bay in box , of course i missed them, i did send him an e mail saying it will be up to 10 days before delivery,he never replied next thing i new he had his refund,he recieved the item, then he gave me a negative said marbles were not as described,I have sent many e mails trying to appeal to his better judgement,  no good, he kept my money and my marbles and gave me my first negative in 10 yrs., --Whow,

No2 was propably lagit he lived in the Bronx never recieved his marble, i sent him his refund,

N0 3, after 10 days sent an e mail saying no item and sent his address , it was a diferent than what the send invioce gave me , he also filed under buyer protection program I tried to tell e bays computors tha t his address was incorrect, all they were interested in was that there was no tracking, i also phoned in and the girl on the phone said thats to bad ---No Tracking,

These bad expiriances have made me feel sick the buyers are looking for items with no tracking its and then puttiing the boots to you................Have a goog day  Reggie............................................i think i am done..........................

Message 9 of 39
latest reply

Agressive buyer

An actual buyer can always contact you about the items they have bought. A potential buyer can be put on your BBL and then be blocked from contact by setting your preferences under buyer requirements to 'blocked buyers can not contact me'

note - by buyer in this context I mean someone who has won an auction or clicked on buy it now. Even if they haven't paid I believe that they can always contact you.

Message 10 of 39
latest reply

Agressive buyer

If you sent him a PP invoice, delete it.

Is it possible to do that as I've never heard of it being done.

Message 11 of 39
latest reply

Agressive buyer

"Is it possible to do that "

Yes.

From the moment a PayPal invoice is sent, and until it is paid, you are given two options by PayPal:

1) Send reminder

2) Cancel

Test it!  Send me a PayPal invoice.  I will NOT pay it.  Then cancel it.

Message 12 of 39
latest reply

Agressive buyer

I believe you. I was thinking about an ebay transaction....but it looks as if there was no actual ebay transaction so I was confused.

Message 13 of 39
latest reply

Agressive buyer

03-01-2015 01:34 PM - edited ‎03-01-2015 01:38 PM

An actual buyer can always contact you about the items they have bought. A potential buyer can be put on your BBL and then be blocked from contact by setting your preferences under buyer requirements to 'blocked buyers can not contact me'

That doesn't work. Believe me, I have tried. It might block bidders who are automatically stopped from purchasing a seller's items due to Unpaid Item Strikes or Policy Violations but it does NOT address the ones you manually add to the Blocked Bidders list yourself. This, I have learned the hard way. 

Message 14 of 39
latest reply

Agressive buyer

Interesting to know. So you have put someone who has never bought anything from you on your bbl, checked of the 'can't contact me' preference but they could still contact you?

Message 15 of 39
latest reply

Agressive buyer

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am a Canadian seller.  It is one of many reasons why I started to use mail service with tracking number the last 2 years to protect myself and I have seen the huge reduce amount of potential scammers since then.

With the expensive mail service that I am offering, I would think I would lose lots of potential buyers but to my surprise I am getting lots of items sold and most of them are happy that I offer the mail service with tracking number so they knew where their items are going.  I even get many regular customers coming back again and again.  It is sad for many of us sellers that don't get full seller's protection and that eBay and PayPal don't protect us fully, not 100% unless it includes a tracking number.

Message 16 of 39
latest reply

Agressive buyer

reggie-  Given the value and the size of your items, I think you would find 'cookie jar insurance' useful.

This just means that on every item you add a few pennies to either the asking or the shipping as a premium to cover occasional losses.

Even if the amount is only a nickel or a dime, actual claims are so few that the premiums will easily cover the occasional loss. And of course the loss is not of the selling price it is of the cost of the item (procurement+ fees+ shipping).

Your first buyer sounds like a crook. Not much would have helped that transaction.

I'm puzzled about the number of eBay messages you are getting. I might get one or two a week, not counting notices of sales. Perhaps you should have a dedicated email address for online selling.

Your second-- I must admit I am always nervous of selling to NYC and environs. The USPS there doesn't seem too professional. But invoice him again in a week or so, politely remarking that you understand the item has now arrived. You can use PP for this and add the eBay transaction number.

Your third-- Sounds like he really didn't get the item, since he gave you the wrong address. In that case, eventually it will come back to you.

Message 17 of 39
latest reply

Agressive buyer

rethinking my post.. 🙂

Message 18 of 39
latest reply

Agressive buyer

03-01-2015 02:43 PM

Interesting to know. So you have put someone who has never bought anything from you on your bbl, checked of the 'can't contact me' preference but they could still contact you?

Yes, and it has occurred on multiple occasions within the past two years.

For whatever reason, some bidder (usually with a relatively unused account, meaning numbers in the single- or double-digits) will decide it is their new mission in life to comb through my listings and tell me what a 'donkey' I am. After the first message or so, they are added to the 'blocked bidders' list and that 'do not allow contact' box is always and remains checked. The offenders never buy anything (obviously) but they are nonetheless able to contact me repeatedly both through the MyEbay/MyWorld page and Ask a Question on the bottom of the listing. After they have been blocked. 

Some have sent me as many as eight messages in a night, others spread out their attack over weeks if not months. 

Either this is some glitch that affects only me or it is widespread occurrence. I've been insulted, sworn at and threatened on several occasions by the person at the time who is behind a 'blocked' ID (again, not an actual buyer of mine) and it blocking them manually does nothing to prevent it.

I don't feel good about ignoring the messages entirely but I don't reply. I don't think it's wise to ignore a threat, in my opinion it is the kind of thing should be monitored in the event it escalates to the point police might need to become involved. 

I brought this matter up at a board hour a week or two ago and was assured my most recent offender had been death with. I hope so. He's not one who has sent the most messages but one who has sent the most disturbing ones. 

In fact, I have set up the 'Q & A thing' now to try and erect a barricade between contact between potential buyers and myself. It's too bad, I used to like answering questions about my products but now things have just gotten too weird too many times. 

Message 19 of 39
latest reply

Agressive buyer

Thanks for the explanation...I'll have to remember that.

Message 20 of 39
latest reply