And we thought Ebay & Paypal were bad! Read about Etsy

Hello,

We’re writing to tell you that we are making some changes to our Etsy Payments Policy (formerly referred to as our Direct Checkout Policy), which will impact how you receive payments for sales made on Etsy. You are receiving this email because our records show that you currently live in a country in which Etsy Payments is available and you have not previously signed up for Etsy Payments. Please review these changes, which will go into effect on May 17, 2017. For more information about the changes we’re making, or to view a full list of countries in which Etsy Payments is available, you can review the revised Etsy Payments Policy here.

The changes to the Etsy Payments Policy include:

If you live in a country in which Etsy Payments is available, you are required to sign up for Etsy Payments, which will result in your shop accepting payment by authorized credit and debit card transactions, some bank transfers services, PayPal, Apple Pay, and Android Pay. In order to sign up for Etsy Payments, you must provide account information for a valid bank account in the United States, Australia, Canada, the European Union, Hong Kong, New Zealand, Norway, Singapore or Switzerland.

If you live in a country in which Etsy Payments is available and you do not provide account information for a valid bank account in the United States, Australia, Canada, the European Union, Hong Kong, New Zealand, Norway, Singapore, or Switzerland prior to May 17, 2017, your selling privileges will be suspended until you provide this information.

These changes will take effect on May 17, 2017 for all Etsy sellers. We encourage you to review the revised Etsy Payments Policy. If you do not agree to these changes, you may close your shop before May 17, 2017. If you continue to use our Services (including Etsy.com and the Sell on Etsy mobile application) on or after May 17, 2017, you’re confirming that you’ve read and agree to the revised Etsy Payments Policy. If you have any questions or need help, please contact our Help Center.

Thank you,
Etsy Payments Team

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Thank you, that is good to know.  I spent most of yesterday looking into other sites to sell at.  Etsy was one, as some of my stuff fits their criteria.  Ruby Lane was another.  But after reading your post, I'm going to have a rethink.  Ebay is now a complete bust for me, so now I'm just waiting for my last listings to time out.  I used to look forward to look at ebay in the morning.  I guess I'll have to just look at the news over my coffee instead.  lol

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

After doing by Books  at the end of March and seeing what I made  I decided to close my Store out at the end of this month

I have been on for 17 years so I need a break away from it for awhile. If it was not for the good US exchange rate I would have closed up earlier. I did 2 Shows in the last 2 weeks and I cleaned up allot of my stock so now is a good time. I plan to put a few items on each month so I don't go back to PP & E-Bay holding my money.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

'dutchman' -- I'm not sure what your issue is with this.  Etsy Payments simply replaces the old "Direct Checkout" with a more seamless payment flow.  It's basically the same as it's always been, except that everything is now "on the same page" so to speak.  

It used to be that sellers could opt out of "Direct Checkout" (which allowed buyers to use their credit cards, etc.), and choose to have buyers pay only via Paypal, which never made any real sense to me.  What the new feature does is to integrate all payment types into one system, although Canadian sellers can still choose to have their Paypal income stream shown separately.  For them, nothing changes.  For sellers who specified Paypal only, yes, they will now have to opt into "Etsy Payments" which handles credit cards and such, just as eBay has done now for a while with its checkout flow.  I don't see how that's a bad thing. 

I'm sorry to be discussing Etsy here, but I think you may be misreading the import of this announcement.  In my view, it's actually a better, clearer way of doing things, and provides wider, easier checkout options for buyers.  Win-win, I would think. 

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

@pinetreecottage wrote:

Thank you, that is good to know.  I spent most of yesterday looking into other sites to sell at.  Etsy was one, as some of my stuff fits their criteria.  Ruby Lane was another.  But after reading your post, I'm going to have a rethink.  Ebay is now a complete bust for me, so now I'm just waiting for my last listings to time out.  I used to look forward to look at ebay in the morning.  I guess I'll have to just look at the news over my coffee instead.  lol

Just one thing about Etsy: if you do move over, expect to see lower sales turnover of your items than on eBay.  While it's true that Etsy does cater to the market that eBay seems to have decided to abandon (the OOAK, vintage and craft areas), the reality is that eBay still has the greater exposure.  If you're not thriving on eBay, you likely won't find Etsy any more lucrative.  Etsy, despite its "niche" appeal, just doesn't have the same wide audience as eBay. 

I'm sorry when I hear that other "boutique" sellers are leaving.  I'm still holding on, but barely.  I think eBay really no longer cares to support and promote its original core type of seller, and this has been reflected in both its policies and its focus over the last 3 or 4 years.  And if eBay itself doesn't get us, Canada Post will surely put the last nail in the coffin. 

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

'dutchman' -- I'm not sure what your issue is with this.  Etsy Payments simply replaces the old "Direct Checkout" with a more seamless payment flow.  It's basically the same as it's always been, except that everything is now "on the same page" so to speak.  

It used to be that sellers could opt out of "Direct Checkout" (which allowed buyers to use their credit cards, etc.), and choose to have buyers pay only via Paypal, which never made any real sense to me.  What the new feature does is to integrate all payment types into one system, although Canadian sellers can still choose to have their Paypal income stream shown separately.  For them, nothing changes.  For sellers who specified Paypal only, yes, they will now have to opt into "Etsy Payments" which handles credit cards and such, just as eBay has done now for a while with its checkout flow.  I don't see how that's a bad thing. 

I'm sorry to be discussing Etsy here, but I think you may be misreading the import of this announcement.  In my view, it's actually a better, clearer way of doing things, and provides wider, easier checkout options for buyers.  Win-win, I would think. 

My biggest issue it they are jamming it down people's throats whether sellers want it or not. You have 2 choices, take it or leave. Remind you of Ebay?

Etsy is becoming a small Ebay, Chinese sellers, non vintage reproductions, our way or the Hiway, and seller be d attitude.

Ever since they went public, they are also loosing site of their roots for the almighty dollar.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Etsy was always a strange site.

Remember April Foley's site Regretsy?

http://thefw.com/say-goodbye-to-regretsy-with-these-strange-etsy-finds/

She had a running battle with the fakers and phoneys -- and etsy kept trying to shut her down.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

I have a store on Etsy (and RL) and something Etsy does that I've never fully understood it that Etsy is very involved in cash flow.

That is, buyers pay Etsy for items and then Etsy in turn pays Sellers.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

@pinetreecottage wrote:

Just one thing about Etsy: if you do move over, expect to see lower sales turnover of your items than on eBay.  While it's true that Etsy does cater to the market that eBay seems to have decided to abandon (the OOAK, vintage and craft areas), the reality is that eBay still has the greater exposure.  If you're not thriving on eBay, you likely won't find Etsy any more lucrative.  Etsy, despite its "niche" appeal, just doesn't have the same wide audience as eBay. 

I'm sorry when I hear that other "boutique" sellers are leaving.  I'm still holding on, but barely.  I think eBay really no longer cares to support and promote its original core type of seller, and this has been reflected in both its policies and its focus over the last 3 or 4 years.  And if eBay itself doesn't get us, Canada Post will surely put the last nail in the coffin. 

Another advantage of hanging on is that the amount of competitors/competition is likely diminishing too which would be good for the "hanger oners".

As a sort of related example, I believe despite my prohibitive shipping costs to Brazil for example, my increasing !?!?!?!? sales there are because few people will ship to that country anymore so those of us who still do have much less competition.....

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@sylviebee wrote:

I have a store on Etsy (and RL) and something Etsy does that I've never fully understood it that Etsy is very involved in cash flow.

That is, buyers pay Etsy for items and then Etsy in turn pays Sellers.

Not exactly.  For the longest time, Etsy permitted sellers to decide whether to accept Paypal only, Paypal plus Direct Checkout (Etsy's credit card, etc. processing system) as separate payment systems, or more recently, Paypal and Direct checkout as a combined feature.  

Paypal payments by buyers have always gone directly to the seller, not through Etsy.  I suspect that Etsy's original payment system (Direct Payments) was designed to handle much lower volumes of transactions, and was set up so that they could keep track of sellers' actual income.  It's just a different means of approaching the online transactions between buyer and seller, and I imagine their computer accounting system is now more or less stuck with it.  

However, keep in mind that Etsy entirely handles -- that is, collects and remits -- VAT for sellers at the time of the transaction, a big time saver and problem-solver for sellers.  The buyer sees the VAT up front and pays it at the time of purchase, saving surprises for both parties.  The intervention of Etsy in collecting payments, then paying sellers, allows them to do this much more easily. 

EBay leaves it up to the buyer to pay on receipt, which has been the cause of many issues for sellers, especially to Europe and the U.K.  Well, actually, eBay does do this with the GSP, but in a way that generates extra income for Pitney Bowes and creates higher costs for buyers (no doubt eBay gets something from Pitney Bowes too).  

I was actually surprised that Etsy didn't decide to charge sellers a fee for collecting and remitting the VAT, as there must be a fair amount of accounting involved at their end.  I actually wouldn't be averse to paying a small fee in order to make purchasing easier and clearer for buyers and selling easier for me. 

Up to this point, the VAT payments were dealt with differently by Etsy depending on whether the buyer chose to pay with Paypal or Direct Payments.  For the former, Etsy bills the VAT back to the seller; for the latter, the buyer pays directly and the seller never has to be involved at all.  

However the recent move to integrating the payment system will likely help Etsy in these transactions.  Since they're not charging sellers for the VAT collection service, it's hard to justify complaints about a better-integrated payment system that will streamline the process.  Doubtless the integrated payment system will also help to make the whole accounting process for Etsy simpler. 

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:
Etsy is becoming a small Ebay, Chinese sellers, non vintage reproductions, our way or the Hiway, and seller be d attitude.  Ever since they went public, they are also loosing site of their roots for the almighty dollar.

Yes, it's sadly true that the face of Etsy (like eBay before it) has changed radically since they went public.  I'm sure a lot of "boutique" sellers were dismayed to see the public offering announcement at the time.  Those who had seen the process on eBay knew what was coming.  

To be honest, I'm not sure how they're going to manage it (the big Chinese sellers, etc.) and still maintain a semblance of their original mandate.  The two seem completely at odds.  

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

@dutchman48 wrote:
Etsy is becoming a small Ebay, Chinese sellers, non vintage reproductions, our way or the Hiway, and seller be d attitude.  Ever since they went public, they are also loosing site of their roots for the almighty dollar.

Yes, it's sadly true that the face of Etsy (like eBay before it) has changed radically since they went public.  I'm sure a lot of "boutique" sellers were dismayed to see the public offering announcement at the time.  Those who had seen the process on eBay knew what was coming.  

To be honest, I'm not sure how they're going to manage it (the big Chinese sellers, etc.) and still maintain a semblance of their original mandate.  The two seem completely at odds.  

They may just open the flood gates and allow everything to be listed. More money for them and will be able to compete with Ebay to some extent. I just wish they would get rid of the listing fees as they are now set up.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply