Anonymous ratings... DSR... No more

Starting in late April, detailed seller ratings will no longer be anonymous. 

An announcement ....for buyers....appears to be so...

From the following link

http://announcements.ebay.ca/2014/03/24/7588/

Quote.....

Feedback is key to keeping eBay a trusted marketplace and a great place to buy. When you make a purchase, and then rate your experience in the areas of communication, shipping time, shipping cost, and item description, you’re helping your seller and eBay ensure your ongoing satisfaction.

While the current system of anonymous ratings provides sellers a general indication about their service, they need details to address any issues effectively. For example, if a seller’s ratings indicate their packages take too long to arrive, it will help them take the right action if they know the issue is with shipments to a specific geographical region.

Sellers will soon be able to get reports that provide this kind of detailed information.Starting in late April, detailed seller ratings will no longer be anonymous. Sellers will be able to run reports telling them which of their transactions received low detailed seller ratings.

With this change, sellers will be able to make much better use of the ratings to continually refine their selling practices—and deliver the great service you expect.So please continue to leave ratings and feedback that honestly and fairly reflect your buying experience! 

---------------------------------------

One must assume that sellers should not contact a buyer about  low ratings... as before 

The question is...

Will buyers leave the same rating as before... now that the sellers will know who left the low rating....

The Seller-Buyer relationship is being adjusted..

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Get ready for sellers block bidders list to blow up .. I still won't care .. Shipping time bad block block block go away .. LOL ... Not I won't be doing that I will probably not even take a look at the feature ...

I have gotten alot of unfair feedback in my time and some deserve but I am here to sell and make money not to try and change the worlds opinion On me ,Ebay,Canada post....

This should be interesting to see how some react to this..

Message 2 of 29
latest reply

I am very happy that ebay is finally doing something about those DSR's. I just hated them.  Buyers still need to explain why they rate the seller the way they do.

Item not as described.  -  The buyer needs to state why the item was not as described.  I see a lot of buyers who do not read the description and just indicate it was not as described. 

Communication - What about the communication made you rate what you did.\

Shipping - Did the seller ship the item within the time period indicated on their listing. 

Shipping & Handling  - What about the cost is unreasonable?  Did you take into consideration, the packing material and postage?

Message 3 of 29
latest reply

Will they actually be asked those questions before leaving feedback or is it going to be the same as now ???

Message 4 of 29
latest reply

Click on the link in that announcement... for more information

such as 

Starting in late April, the detailed rating system will no longer be anonymous, and you’ll also be able to see which transactions have

low detailed seller ratings for item description and ship time

That is a 1, 2 or 3 for item description  and a 1 for shipping time.....

Message 5 of 29
latest reply

I am quite happy to see this, I checked my reports and a month ago I got an unusually high number of "3"s. I don't know why or what transactions. My problem was exactly what they are trying to help with, I can't fix it if I don't know what is wrong.....

Message 6 of 29
latest reply

This is good news. Yesterday I found I had just received 1's for shipping time and shipping charges. I have checked my recent feedbacks, and can see no-one who was unhappy with their purchase, I would love to know who had given them. Most of the buyers mentioned fast shipping.

Message 7 of 29
latest reply

Triber, it is possible to see who gave you the 1s by running reports but it takes a LOT of time unless you do it on a regular basis (I don't). I think you can google and find out how to do it. I rec'd 1s in all categories back last May from a buyer who I later found out was well known on .com for positive FB and leaving 1s - she's on tons of peoples BBLs!

I didn't do anything about it, by the time I found out about her it was kind of late and I don't think there was a place to report a buyer then. It was an international shipment so wasn't really counted and will drop off soon. I hate seeing  those ones there though, especially since I know that there was nothing wrong with her item and she rec'd it really quickly!

Message 8 of 29
latest reply

Anyone who worries about what the customer thinks, after, is missing the point. Craft your business so it never gets to that point. Worry about what the customer thinks BEFORE you even start. After is uncontrollable.

What is important is the defect rate. At 5% I am really going to have to ramp up my screwing up. A friend and I have been discussing this. Our current rates are running around no more than 2%. We will have to deliberately mess up at a rate of 150% more than where we are now.

Again, "sellers" are focusing on one little line in their overall business. Look at the big picture as Brandee alludes to.

What I see is an overall loosening of rules for sellers, and a tightening of rules for buyers. I was fine before, I will be better after.

If you are worried about DSR, you are making it personal. This is business. I worry about inventory and money. THAT is business.

Photobucket
Message 9 of 29
latest reply

This seems to contradict the current advice about what shipping time means.  Don't know if this is good, bad, or another error in explanation from eBay.  From the announcement:

While the current system of anonymous ratings provides sellers a general indication about their service, they need details to address any issues effectively. For example, if a seller’s ratings indicate their packages take too long to arrive, it will help them take the right action if they know the issue is with shipments to a specific geographical region. 

From eBay Feedback Detailed Seller Ratings:

How quickly did the seller ship the item?

• Rate the seller only on the time it took to mail the item, not the time it took you to receive the item.

• Don't hold sellers responsible for delays in mail services, international custom delays, or for the time it takes for your payment to clear. If you picked up the item locally, you won't be able to provide a rating for this category.

• If the seller met specific requirements, the seller automatically receives a 5-star shipping time detailed seller rating and you won't be able to provide a rating for this category.

Note: If we determine at a later date that the seller met the requirements for an automatic 5-star shipping time rating, we may adjust the rating to 5 stars.

Message 10 of 29
latest reply

Thank you vintagenorth. I am not that bothered, I just couldn't understand who could have left it when all the feedbacks seem very positive.

Message 11 of 29
latest reply

Triber, I have read people saying how they generate and PRINT reports every day. They keep binders of reports. They track everything. Why do they do this? So they will know. It is the ultimate narcissism where they believe everything about themselves is so important that they generate and print daily reports.

These are the same people that look for software to tell them "IF" they are making a profit.

I believe that some buyers get confused and leave the wrong end of the scale.

Thing is, now there is going to be thread after thread over on .com about putting buyers on the BBL list because they are known for leaving low DSR. Just something else for the Chicken Littles, down there, to complain about.

" I am not that bothered"

Photobucket
Message 12 of 29
latest reply

A similar announcement but aimed at sellers

http://announcements.ebay.ca/2014/03/24/7586/

Message 13 of 29
latest reply

The dsrs have never been anonymous, all it does is save the 2 minutes it took for anyone to find out

There was good reason for people to run reports,  being bale to lobby to get them removed or preventing someone from leaving more could save losing 2% of gross sale sin extra fees, or behind booted altogether

The "defect" rate expanding what a "defect"  is is hardly relaxing anything.  They are getting their fee increase this year by removing piles of people from getting TRS discounts.   People falsely claiming not received will now get their refund, and if the seller quickly voluntarily refunds will quickly remove their discount for all sales too

Message 14 of 29
latest reply

Anyone who worries about what the customer thinks, after, is missing the point. Craft your business so it never gets to that point. Worry about what the customer thinks BEFORE you even start. After is uncontrollable.

I agree that attention should be paid to your customer service plan before the sale however, ignoring input from your customers after a sale is not a good idea as it can help you going forward.

Although I don't pay much attention to my DSR's I think that it is going to be more important to do so with the new defect system...not so that someone can be put on a BBL but because if that rating was left by mistake or because there was feedback extortion of some sort or because the buyer was a competitor etc etc...then I can appeal that rating. I absolutely agree that some sellers do go overboard on trying to protect their ratings but I can understand why some of them do it. Ebay judges us on opinions that buyers give...not facts and if a seller gets unlucky and gets some poor opinions that aren't always accurate, they can lose their business here.

Message 15 of 29
latest reply

What is important is the defect rate. At 5% I am really going to have to ramp up my screwing up. A friend and I have been discussing this. Our current rates are running around no more than 2%. We will have to deliberately mess up at a rate of 150% more than where we are now.

How did you find out what your defect rate was?

Message 16 of 29
latest reply

@maggiebvintage2010 wrote:

This seems to contradict the current advice about what shipping time means.  Don't know if this is good, bad, or another error in explanation from eBay.  From the announcement:

From eBay Feedback Detailed Seller Ratings:

How quickly did the seller ship the item?

• Rate the seller only on the time it took to mail the item, not the time it took you to receive the item.

• Don't hold sellers responsible for delays in mail services, international custom delays, or for the time it takes for your payment to clear. If you picked up the item locally, you won't be able to provide a rating for this category.

• If the seller met specific requirements, the seller automatically receives a 5-star shipping time detailed seller rating and you won't be able to provide a rating for this category.

Note: If we determine at a later date that the seller met the requirements for an automatic 5-star shipping time rating, we may adjust the rating to 5 stars.

Good point. Those statements definitely contradict each other. Plus... it will help them take the right action if they know the issue is with shipments to a specific geographical region. What exactly is the right reaction in a situation like that?

Message 17 of 29
latest reply

How did you find out what your defect rate was?

PJ, I think Mr.E has been around for quite a while (no offense Mr.E) and is registered on .com and the .com sellers have already received their defect rate information. On .ca we are supposed to receive ours sometime in April, I think.

Message 18 of 29
latest reply

I don't believe that they are automatically sending that info out to any seller but I do know that some U.S. sellers phoned ebay customer service to receive it.  So I am asking Mr Elmwood if he phoned to receive it or if he knows of another way to figure it out.

Message 19 of 29
latest reply

It would be great to see all ratings from every buyer, not just those 'low detailed seller ratings'.

Recently, I generated a few DSR reports to figure out a buyer bought from me multiple times, and gave me 4-s every time !

Blocked !

Message 20 of 29
latest reply