Another way for Ebay to filter listings they show - off the US boards and gets more scarry every day

"We are going to create a filter that allows buyers to look at only those products that have free returns, and only those products that have returns.

"We think that's a great way of delivering on a new kind of buyer expectation. ...

"Our sellers then have an opportunity to get highlighted by offering that kind of advanced and enhanced return policy."

So new today from eBayclosed is the revelation that the yoyos in charge have found a NEW WAY to hide/demote your listings if you REFUSE to play ball with them on their new hairbrained idea on FREE SHIPPING.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Another way for Ebay to filter listings they show - off the US boards and gets more scarry every day

hlmacdon
Community Member

Filter for returns is already there so I'm not sure one for free returns will make that much of a difference since it likely is already one of the best match criteria that gets considered.

Still think they need a better gateway to separate collectible/vintage/auction versus discount goods. Filters aren't it.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

I get maybe one Remorse return per year so it's difficult for me to gauge whether offering Free Returns would result in more. 

I do know it would certainly make me angry to offer free returns whether or not anyone used them. Like a slow rolling boil kind of angry. 

Ebay needs to stop thinking like A without stock of its own to sell.

We ebay sellers are millions of independent operators.

I can't give away my stuff for free with free postage and free returns. If I did, I'd have to mark up every item by several times what I paid for it! So, yes, here's a $10 diecast which I'm going to need to ask $75 to sell with free postage one way and perhaps back. Until ebay can negotiate flat-rate cross-Canada shipping for ebay sellers for $3.50 per parcel, it's not happening. My 'free postage' offers add $15 to the asking price.  Id' have to pad every item with $30 in postage plus my regular markup. No one would buy it. 

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Ebay needs to stop thinking like A without stock of its own to sell.

We ebay sellers are millions of independent operators. 

But you see I think the point of offering buyers a filter for free returns is that eBay wants to appear to be like any other major (U.S.) retailer.  Whether they actually are or not, and whether buyers actually know or care, is hardly the point, as long as they look the part.  Sooner or later they'll expect the majority of buyers -- especially the younger or newer ones feverishly fingering their mobile devices -- won't think twice about it at all.  Those certainly seem to be the buyers eBay is trying to appeal to. 

It's sad for a lot of us who won't realistically be able to cope with more and more narrow requirements.  This is where eBay is headed though, away from the millions of little operators who cause them most of their headaches and waste most of their time.  

Professional commercial sellers, especially those based in the U.S., with a big domestic market and cheap USPS or other shipping at their disposal, will probably have little trouble offering free returns (which no doubt will ultimately be fully automated, just hit a button and whoosh, you get your shipping label to send the item back, no questions asked).  And inevitably, as shoppers here get used to the idea, they'll start filtering more and more for "free returns", just as they now do for "free shipping".  You create a market expectation, then fulfill it.  The rest of us, who can't possibly meet that mark, will fade below the bottom of the screen. 

A similar idea is what gave the big department stores a huge marketing leap forward many decades ago and destroyed much of what were neighbourhood family businesses.  Some of the large concerns (like Eaton's) had the idea of offering free delivery and "no questions asked" returns and advertised such.  (Anyone who grew up in the 1950's or 1960's in any sizable town or city in Canada will remember the site of those dark coloured Eaton's trucks constantly scurrying up and down the streets).  For small store owners, the idea of having to return individual items to their suppliers and wait for reimbursement, after paying out cash money to customers for frivolous returns, was untenable.  So those owners got squashed, pushed out, or left of their own accord.  

The more I think about what has gone on here on eBay over the past year, the more I'm apt to agree with 'dutchman'  that eBay is now trying to achieve through attrition what it couldn't achieve between 2013 and 2016 with punishment, i.e. weed out the ranks of the small, independent sellers.  Just wait until same-day or next-day drone deliveries are the expected norm. 

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Just saw an ebay commercial on TV.  It is obvious they are trying to appear like any other retailer. By forcing the streamlined policies on all of us sellers, they can enjoy the profits from fees and store subscriptions, without any of the risks businesses that own their own stock face.  They have nothing to lose.  

I'm only commiserating with those of you who do this for a living, as I seldom sell anything, and nobody is looking.  I suppose the filters are efficient at keeping buyers from visiting my listings.

I will stay on ebay, until I get told to leave, just to come here and read how things unfold.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

I can't give away my stuff for free with free postage and free returns.

But you don't do that.

Free Shipping just means the price of shipping is included in the asking price for the goods.

And that was true of Eaton's as much as it is on eBay.

(Although Eaton's was able to scale those costs better than the smaller retailer.)

And free returns are part of Cookie Jar Insurance.

Again something that Eaton's had as part of their business plan.

Come to think of it, whatever happened to Eaton's? Smiley LOL

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

I don't charge a handling fee. It's part of my business policies.
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

I can't give away my stuff for free with free postage and free returns.

But you don't do that.

Free Shipping just means the price of shipping is included in the asking price for the goods.

And that was true of Eaton's as much as it is on eBay.

(Although Eaton's was able to scale those costs better than the smaller retailer.)

And free returns are part of Cookie Jar Insurance.

Again something that Eaton's had as part of their business plan.

Come to think of it, whatever happened to Eaton's? Smiley LOL

You were sounding just like one of the previous business development mangers I worked with for a moment there, right up until you pointed out where the trip down this road leads to. No coincidence such decisions are typically made by a marketing/management person rather than an actuary. I tried suggesting bringing one in for a consult during a meeting once and the looks I got! Robot Mad

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

The 'satisfaction guaranteed- or your money refunded' was introduced by Timothy Eaton in the 19th century.

And what happened to Eaton's was 'shirtsleeves to shirtsleeves in three generations'

The grandchildren got jobs they were unable to handle.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply