Any Canadian sellers here who use USPS to ship their items?

I am curious if there are any Canadian sellers who use USPS... like going down the the states and shipping their wares through there?

I'm asking because I've heard of some people doing this, but I am not sure of the logistics of it all, like, do you require a US mailing return address on it or can you use your own Canadian address? Do you even need a return address on it?

I have a bunch of posters that I would like to sell, but being from Canada, I am afraid that CanadaPost is going to charge an arm and a leg for them, so I would like to see if shipping via USPS is a viable option for me since I live near the border (though this would probably require me getting a Nexus pass to make it worth my time).

Message 1 of 261
latest reply
260 REPLIES 260

I know its now jul 2016 so a lot has changed. Stallion Express now ship 6 days a week, their rates are better than chitchats for everything, they have longer opening hours and they have monthly billing which means that you only pay them at the end of the month (and this can be done online). I've switched from Chitchats to Stallion Express since late 2015 and I have brought a few friends over from Chitchtats as well.

Also, due to changes in USA regulations, we can now send up to $800 (not just $200!!) without paying any import duties or taxes.

Message 221 of 261
latest reply

Their website has all the information you need including their phone number 🙂

Message 222 of 261
latest reply

I have just switched from chitchat to Stallion express last week. One thing I like about their service is monthly payment so I dont' have to line up everytime when I go there. whereas with chitchat, if you show up after 3:30pm, you'll be spending at least 15 minutes or more just for lining up! and it's a little chaos there!

My only concerns is my international shipments. I wish Stallion will come up with the cheaper international services soon!

Message 223 of 261
latest reply

Thanks Buddy,

I have been considering switching to Stallion for a few weeks, you just convinced me.  They say they will pick up at my address for $30.00.  That suits me fine.

Norm

Message 224 of 261
latest reply

First time posting!  Just a heads up for Alberta - DYK is running into some border problems, so right now they do not accept FBA.  They still can do EBAY, etc...but I sure hope they resolve the address thing soon and get back to assisting FBA clients.

Message 225 of 261
latest reply

As far as I understand, US customs does not like Amazon FBA because goods have not been sold to Amazon.

You can still ship to Amazon if you have a broker.

Message 226 of 261
latest reply

@nicspice2 wrote:

First time posting!  Just a heads up for Alberta - DYK is running into some border problems, so right now they do not accept FBA.  They still can do EBAY, etc...but I sure hope they resolve the address thing soon and get back to assisting FBA clients.

US customs CBP has been very sensitive on all Amazon FBA shipments. This is not DYK's border problems. This is the personal exemption of $800 USD deemed as ineligible by CBP to all Amazon FBA locations: technically, sellers have not sold the items to Amazon and there is no bill of sales. Being Amazon, their exemption per day will automatically be over $800 USD anyway.

If you have a broker, DYK will be able to take them across in a few weeks.

Message 227 of 261
latest reply

Great, thank you so much for clearing that up!
Message 228 of 261
latest reply

Do you use DYK?  If so.....does it work well for you?

Are you in Calgary?

Message 229 of 261
latest reply

Peter can you pls send me the custom s declaration form for this/.

Message 230 of 261
latest reply

is there is a list where we can find out whats duty free and whats not?
Message 231 of 261
latest reply

What about the letters, its letter so i believe it doesnt need declaration at the border or it does? how do you declare that at the customer? 

Message 232 of 261
latest reply

Dunno who you think you are talking to, but this is a member to member Board.

Here is the CBSA website if you are importing something

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/menu-eng.html

and

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/courier/menu-eng.html

If you are exporting, buy a Paypal shipping label with your customer's cleared payment. You can even buy this if your customer's payment is still under the New Seller 21Day Hold.

And you may get a discount between 5% and 17% off PO counter prices on some services.

If it is a document, put that in the appropriate spot on the shipping label as you process the purchase (easier to do than to explain)

If you sold it, it is OTHER . Documents are things like , oh, a copy of Aunt Tess' will for the family archives.

You can respond to posts by hitting Reply.

You can also edit your own posts by clicking on Options in the top right hand corner.

Message 233 of 261
latest reply

@gulg-ca wrote:
is there is a list where we can find out whats duty free and whats not?

There isn't going to be duty on items that you are taking to the US up to ship unless an item is  $800+ so unless you are selling expensive items you shouldn't need to know the duty rates.  

Message 234 of 261
latest reply

Thanks for the info. What i meant was, now Christmas and New Year season is coming, I also send a lot of greeting cards to my regular customers, if I take them with me to the border, among my other packages, do I have to declare them or since they have no value I dont need to fill up any declarations?

Message 235 of 261
latest reply

I live in Windsor ON.  I recently sold a comic on ebay, and would like to drive over the border to the USA and ship to the buyer from the USA (who lives in the USA).  The value is $620.00.  How much in duties and taxes will I pay when I cross the border?  What do I need to provide the border agent to make the process seamless?  If it helps, I have documentation that I originally purchased this item in the USA.  Does that mean I will not have to pay duty when transferring over the border to sell? 

Thanks for your help.

Message 236 of 261
latest reply

@jtrias00 wrote:

I live in Windsor ON. I recently sold a comic on ebay, and would like to drive over the border to the USA and ship to the buyer from the USA (who lives in the USA). The value is $620.00. How much in duties and taxes will I pay when I cross the border? ...

The current import limit to the USA is $800US (a little over $1000CA) -- you're under the limit.

Message 237 of 261
latest reply

British Columbia Chit Chats has expanded their hours to  8PM  on Monday and Thursday !!!

Message 238 of 261
latest reply

I agree 100%
Message 239 of 261
latest reply

LOL the dreaded long line up. How I dont miss that anymore.
Message 240 of 261
latest reply