Any Canadian sellers here who use USPS to ship their items?

I am curious if there are any Canadian sellers who use USPS... like going down the the states and shipping their wares through there?

I'm asking because I've heard of some people doing this, but I am not sure of the logistics of it all, like, do you require a US mailing return address on it or can you use your own Canadian address? Do you even need a return address on it?

I have a bunch of posters that I would like to sell, but being from Canada, I am afraid that CanadaPost is going to charge an arm and a leg for them, so I would like to see if shipping via USPS is a viable option for me since I live near the border (though this would probably require me getting a Nexus pass to make it worth my time).

Message 1 of 261
latest reply
260 REPLIES 260

mangoslurpee
Community Member

Shipping within Canada is really expensive using Canada Post.  Has anyone driven a parcel to ship via USPS back to Canada? How does this work?  Am I allowed to do this or am I breaking some sort of law?  Also, if I charge my customers GST/HST, does this affect what I write on the Customs slips at the USPS counter?

I'm very confused.  I wonder if this is worth the USPS savings?

Message 21 of 261
latest reply

azutrum
Community Member

Hi, I think as the posts above state you can ship through USPS via Canada.

Chitchatexpress

As for the GST/HST and the custom rules, I don't understand myself.

Can someone explain for instance shipping a $50 mp3 player from Canada using USPS? The difference in price with USPS vs. Canada post.

Message 22 of 261
latest reply

If shipping back into Canada via USPS and if you have charged your customer GST etc----declare the item for the exact amount that you were paid----but write on the package  

GST PAID and your GST number

Message 23 of 261
latest reply

May I ask what documentation you need to bring when across the border? From my understanding, bring parcels to USA, do you need to pay any duty tax? I have quite a bit of parcels and I wonder if the custom will question me or stop me if I go across the border. Thanks in advance!

Message 24 of 261
latest reply

Duty and additional fees are dependent on the value of the item and where it was made---but basically any package going to an individual address the is under $200 will not have any duty or fees.

BUT----you will have to pay a commercial entry fee as you are transporting commercial items.   Depending on your border---you may or may not have to use the commmercial lane--if you have a Nexus card,  you MAY NOT use it.

You will need to fill in commercial entry forms--with each package you are carrying entered on them---and copies of the invoices.

Your best bet is to go to the border you will be crossing at and ask them what form you need to fill out

Message 25 of 261
latest reply

I go across every week and ship to my US buyers from a post office in Washington State.

I keep all of my items under $200 so I can use the CBP Form 7533. I go through the commercial lane and now have my transponder for 2012 so I am no longer paying the $10.75.

I use my Canadian address as my return address and like that I can use the free boxes there and order to my US postal Box the sizes they do not have on site.

USPS also has something they call Regional Priority Post so I will save even more this year on my shipping costs.

With the loss of Canada Post's Flat Rate Boxes it makes it even harder to ship to my Canadian buyers.

My feedback shows how happy my US buyers are.

David

Message 26 of 261
latest reply

I like the Regional Rate A boxes---but you have to be careful with Regional Rate B boxes.   Usually not cheaper if going to Zone 4-8

I can't see the new Regional Rate C box being of any use at all

Message 27 of 261
latest reply

leatherstuffnmore
Community Member

How much is shipping insurance using USPS on a parcel worth 500.00 usd? I have a parcel to ship to the US and are considering mailing it within the US. Also it is allowed I believe I saw someone post that you can use your Canadian return address on the outside of the parcel? I am jusst returning an item I purchased off ebay that needs to go in for repair is all.

Thanks

Message 28 of 261
latest reply

leatherstuffnmore
Community Member

Also if anyone can help me what would it cost to ship an item that is 5 lbs 1 oz in weight dimensions of 17x10x3.5"

going to Indiana and as for shipping from zip code it may be buffalo/fort erie crossing.

Message 29 of 261
latest reply

zeetoner
Community Member

Hey there

There are a few services - but - a bit hard to find and figure out - Just trying to unravel the mysteries now

Problem is volume - you can easily get set up with Fedex (as an example) for the (after the border has been crossed) - the problem is to have the volume to get to the border on a regular basis - like about 20 packages per day or per shipment

If you are from the west island - give me a shout/email

Leon/Zeetoner

Message 30 of 261
latest reply

Several large booksellers in Winnipeg do use USPS.

Two booksellers I know have registered businesses in Pembina North Dakota.

A third delivers to USPS using a permit... and this seller  can deliver over 300 parcels each week... and at times it was a delivery every 4 to 5 days...Also ships back into Canada....  but only to a certain weight....

Winnipeg Manitoba to Pembina North Dakota   is an over 150 mile round trip... So  things  have to be worthwhile....

Message 31 of 261
latest reply

Can any ChitChat's Express users help this blue collar shipper-to-be out?

With this service do you need to print your own postage or do/can they do it? Also, as I plan to courier a box full of mailing tubes for them to send out individually via USPS, I apparently need to send a manifest along. What is this?

Basically, any simple tips/help/links etc for using Chitchat's Express would be greatly appreciated as the whole deal's kind of confusing starting out. I'll be shipping 2" x 15" mailing tubes and 6x10 bubble envelopes (posters and greeting cards).

Message 32 of 261
latest reply

There are several services in Pembina North Dakota where Winnipeg buyers can have their bought  items shipped...  Drive from Winnipeg across the border and pick up their purchase...

This is for a purchase from an eBay seller does not ship to Canada.

Appears to work well as was reported in the Winnipeg Free Press a few weeks ago.

Message 33 of 261
latest reply

You should give Chitchats a call and ask them your questions directly.  They are very helpful

Here's the website:

chitchatsexpress dot com

Message 34 of 261
latest reply

mr.chipset
Community Member

hi!

Do you have found a company that delivers parcels from Champlain to Montreal?

I our online a few company that offer such services. But when I contacted them - there is no answer or they don't do it.

I live in Laval

thank you

Message 35 of 261
latest reply

If you're from Montreal, the people from montrealbooks (montrealbooks@videotron.ca) go down to the States.  They charge $1 per parcel. 

Message 36 of 261
latest reply

hi beautiful_times

Using chitchats have  you encountered any issues or disputes?

Also,  using chitchats usa address, can you not use Paypal to purchase the USPS service needed?

thank you

msc

Message 37 of 261
latest reply

latte403
Community Member

Just found out that DYK Home Plus in Calgary is shipping USPS from US.

They can take along your packages for a small fee of $1/package.

Message 38 of 261
latest reply

francefm
Community Member

I am a frequent buyer on Ebay and I am always surprised with the difference the sellers charge for shipping via USPS. I happened to compare 2 shipments from Florida and the smaller item was more expensive than the bigger one. How the shipping fee is figured out par the sellers. It it approx and they make money on that? Thank for your help.

Message 39 of 261
latest reply

I am a frequent buyer on Ebay and I am always surprised with the difference the sellers charge for shipping via USPS. I happened to compare 2 shipments from Florida and the smaller item was more expensive than the bigger one. How the shipping fee is figured out par the sellers. It it approx and they make money on that? Thank for your help.

Usually the difference is because

Seller A - Uses the lowest cost First Class method

Seller B - Insists on Priority or Express

Seller B thinks all foreigners are lying thieves and/or packages with "tracking" don't get lost.

Of course neither are true.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 40 of 261
latest reply