Any Canadian sellers here who use USPS to ship their items?

I am curious if there are any Canadian sellers who use USPS... like going down the the states and shipping their wares through there?

I'm asking because I've heard of some people doing this, but I am not sure of the logistics of it all, like, do you require a US mailing return address on it or can you use your own Canadian address? Do you even need a return address on it?

I have a bunch of posters that I would like to sell, but being from Canada, I am afraid that CanadaPost is going to charge an arm and a leg for them, so I would like to see if shipping via USPS is a viable option for me since I live near the border (though this would probably require me getting a Nexus pass to make it worth my time).

Message 1 of 261
latest reply
260 REPLIES 260

I ship 2 times a week, its easy and shipping is faster than canadapost , i buy my postage online and just drop it off  , if items are under $200 each there is no issue   with customs 

Message 41 of 261
latest reply

Hi sailor  I live in Chilliwack & I go to Sumas 1 a week .I park on the Canadian side at Sumas & walk over to the Sumas post office. I have a box # but you don't need it if you are just sending mail. I also receive mail so I need a box #.All you need is a 7533 form filled out by you, and all your parcels have to be open for inspection by the border guards. You can't us a Nexus card for this If you are interested in talking over the phone about this let me know.

Message 42 of 261
latest reply

Community Member

If I am casually shipping out one or two items every few weeks (I don't own an eBay store. I just sell some shoes I have either through auction or buy-it-now). Do I need to declare the items with the 7533 form?

Message 43 of 261
latest reply

lostamarak
Community Member

I sometimes sell small articles on ebay but I would like to use the USPS which is just across the border.

When entering the US with these articles, sometimes just two or three, will I have to pay a fee at the border every time I go across?

Message 44 of 261
latest reply

vancityapparelstore
Community Member

Hey taz,

Im interesting in talking over the phone about your shipping procedures over the border. Please let me know, your help is much appreciated

Message 45 of 261
latest reply

vancity, do an internet search on bookstotheborder in New Westminster. They will bring your items to the USA to use USPS for a small fee per package. Despite the name, they will accept more than books for their service.

Message 46 of 261
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

The free USPS poster boxes are not strudy.  I usually put a poster tube into the free USPS poster boxes to protect the poster inside the poster tube.  I did used the free USPS poster boxes and both arrived bend in half!

I bought the square poster boxes from Uline, reasonable prices, and save the storage comparing to the poster tubes.

What I usually do is to wrap tissue papers (crush tissue first then wrap it around the poster) and then put the poster with tissues into the poster tube so it don't touch the poster should the poster tube get damaged.

I usually ship my posters across Canada by Expedited Mail or XpressPost (depending on which city/town) which is reasonable than Regular Post/Shipping.  To USA, I use Expedited Mail.  As for International, it is always risk but I used the Air Mail with insurance and now that Canada Post is no longer offer that mail service with insurance, it is going to be a risk to ship them to International now.

Those are for the posters measured 27x41 inches or more.

I used to drive down to Grand Forks, North Dakota (about 1 1/2 hours)  to ship my items weekly until I became mobility limited with health conditions.  I sure miss doing them as I save a whole lot of $$$ and at the same time doing fantastic shopping, again saving a whole lot of $$$, especially with the groceries, saving about 75%!!  Nowadays I cringe when I see the prices at the grocery stores here comparing to what I knew the cost in Grand Forks, ND!

Message 47 of 261
latest reply

Can anyone recommend any other companies in the Toronto/Mississauga area other than Chit Chat Express? I called and they don't have evening or weekend hours.

Message 48 of 261
latest reply

Does anyone know of a company that picks up packages from Hamilton, Ontario for shipping packages via USPS? I know there is a deposit location in Toronto, but that is 1.5-2 hours of drive away from Hamilton and the traffics is crazy. Thanks a lot!

Message 49 of 261
latest reply

@myshoppingbags wrote:

Can anyone recommend any other companies in the Toronto/Mississauga area other than Chit Chat Express? I called and they don't have evening or weekend hours.

Markham location is opened Sunday 10:00 am – 2:00 pm

Message 50 of 261
latest reply

@antique.collector wrote:

Does anyone know of a company that picks up packages from Hamilton, Ontario for shipping packages via USPS? I know there is a deposit location in Toronto, but that is 1.5-2 hours of drive away from Hamilton and the traffics is crazy. Thanks a lot!

ChitChat opened a location in Mississauga at 6380 Tomken Rd. From Hamilton you might want to drive to the US instead, fill up your car with cheaper gas, and stock up on cheaper groceries.

Message 51 of 261
latest reply

Chitchats now has a Mississauga location as well - Tomken and Matheson area, easy to get to from Hamilton.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. Carl Sagan
Message 52 of 261
latest reply

DEFINITELY!  There are gas stations in the Tuscarora Nation just off the 190 that are 25 cents a gallon cheaper than the regular gas down there.  Almost 25 cents per LITER cheaper than Canada, makes the whole trip worthwhile.

AND there's a Ponderosa Steak House in Niagara Falls, NY that's cheap and has good steaks.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. Carl Sagan
Message 53 of 261
latest reply

There are some details missing from chitchat abot Chichat's Express that many people would wnat to know before using their services. Here's the post I found that explains them. The sysadmin guy mentioned in that post, I believe his name is Raymond, is a real deal, said the's the BOSS, no way to go around him, his management "just automatically repeats what he said", was very rude to me too. I'm concerned for my mail safety now when shipping with Chitchats.

Message 54 of 261
latest reply

Hi,

I would be really grateful if you could point me in the direction of the customs declaration form that you wrote about. I have contacted border agents at Sweet Grass, Montana, and they tell me that I have to use a broker ... my items are book size, weight 1lb 8oz, and sell for around $50 ... at this point I'm selling 20 per week.

Does the information (customs declaration +$10.75) still apply in my case, or do I actually need a broker.

I would be really grateful for any help that you can offer.

Dave

Message 55 of 261
latest reply

@the.big.emporium wrote:

Hi,

I would be really grateful if you could point me in the direction of the customs declaration form that you wrote about. I have contacted border agents at Sweet Grass, Montana, and they tell me that I have to use a broker ... my items are book size, weight 1lb 8oz, and sell for around $50 ... at this point I'm selling 20 per week.

Does the information (customs declaration +$10.75) still apply in my case, or do I actually need a broker.

Dave

The post that you are referring to was written in 2011 so it's unlikely that person will see your post. Your listings say that your items are in the U.S. and you are registered in the U.S. so if you are asking where to get customs forms when you are shipping out of the U.S. you would be best to ask on ebay.com...this is ebay Canada.

Or...are you in Canada and want to cross the border to mail your packages?

Message 56 of 261
latest reply

If you relist your items with the GSP , you might want to check on the difference in import charges between ebay.com and ebay.ca that a Canadian buyer sees. 

A number of your completed listings show me the varied import charges in BC, Canada. 

Good luck with your sales.

Body Beast com 5.57 ic.JPGBody Beast ca 8.35 ip.JPG

Message 57 of 261
latest reply

@the.big.emporium wrote:

Hi,

Dave

Hi Dave. Anything under $200.00 to one buyer does not require a broker.  Just $10.75 each time you cross. I would be happy to scan and send you the form you need.

Vicky

Message 58 of 261
latest reply

hello peterwholesale

is there a way to cantact you, iam also in montreal and i have a question please

Message 59 of 261
latest reply

Anyone know of a service that is for sellers located in Vancouver BC?

Message 60 of 261
latest reply