Any Canadian sellers here who use USPS to ship their items?

I am curious if there are any Canadian sellers who use USPS... like going down the the states and shipping their wares through there?

I'm asking because I've heard of some people doing this, but I am not sure of the logistics of it all, like, do you require a US mailing return address on it or can you use your own Canadian address? Do you even need a return address on it?

I have a bunch of posters that I would like to sell, but being from Canada, I am afraid that CanadaPost is going to charge an arm and a leg for them, so I would like to see if shipping via USPS is a viable option for me since I live near the border (though this would probably require me getting a Nexus pass to make it worth my time).

Message 1 of 261
latest reply
260 REPLIES 260

I just called customs over in Derby Line, VT. They told me I need to use CBP form 7523, is that correct? (The merchandise I sell over eBay all comes from China.) From what I have been reading here, CBP form 7533 is the one that people are using. Can anyone confirm which one is the correct one to use?

Message 81 of 261
latest reply

It depends on what items you are taking across the border.

You can use form 7523 if the items are duty free.

If your items are not duty free, you need to use form 7533.

What are they? Let us know and

we will let you know which form to use.

DYK Logistics (Calgary)

@online-hockey-shop wrote:

I just called customs over in Derby Line, VT. They told me I need to use CBP form 7523, is that correct? (The merchandise I sell over eBay all comes from China.) From what I have been reading here, CBP form 7533 is the one that people are using. Can anyone confirm which one is the correct one to use?

DYK Post, a DYK Logistics Inc. Company
Message 82 of 261
latest reply

I've found a way to get my packages over to the US (Thanks, Books to the Border!) but need to put postage on them.

Tried to register with Stamps.com as you suggested, but they required a US address. 

Is there any service that will let me buy USPS postage online with my Canadian address and credit card?  Can't seem to find anything using a Google search.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Message 83 of 261
latest reply

@cobaltbluedragon wrote:

I've found a way to get my packages over to the US (Thanks, Books to the Border!) but need to put postage on them.

Tried to register with Stamps.com as you suggested, but they required a US address. 

Is there any service that will let me buy USPS postage online with my Canadian address and credit card?  Can't seem to find anything using a Google search.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Just ask Books for an address you can use. It's a USPS requirement but they will accept ANY US street address. they will never attempt to contact you there.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 84 of 261
latest reply

Thank you, recped!   That should make things easier.

Message 85 of 261
latest reply

I sell sporting goods, mostly hockey related. Thanks for your help!

Message 86 of 261
latest reply

Hockey related items are not duty free in the US and you need to use form 7533.

Hope this helps.

Let us know if there is anything we can help.

DYK Logistics (Calgary) www.dyklogistics.com

Message 87 of 261
latest reply

how about shipping electronic parts (tv boards, which are made in china).

Do you need to pay a fee when crossing if using the form 7523 (duty free)?

Message 88 of 261
latest reply

Anyone know if there is a service out of Ottawa that brings items across the border?  

If not using a service and going across the border myself, just to recap what I have read in this thread, and some clarification questions.

For items sold for under $200 going to a personal address, fill in form CBP 7533 - "INWARD CARGO MANIFEST FOR VESSEL UNDER FIVE TONS, FERRY, TRAIN, CAR, VEHICLE, ETC." 

This is also only for duty free items, but if under $200 pretty well everything is duty free???

Bring the ebay sales transaction page with you - makes sense to establish value.   Should the purchase receipt for the item also be included?  Kinda hard for estate and personal purchases. 

When crossing the border, go to the commercial lane, they will process the paperwork and you pay a $10+ fee. 

To prepare postage ahead of time, many are using stamps.com.  This may require a US address - not hard as several parcel pickup places provide one.   

Do you pick up extra USPS boxes and bring them back with you? 

Message 89 of 261
latest reply

@domarrow wrote:

how about shipping electronic parts (tv boards, which are made in china).

Do you need to pay a fee when crossing if using the form 7523 (duty free)?

Electronic parts are mostly not duty free.
You need to use form 7533 as long as your items are less than $200.
Everyone needs to pay $10.75 to go across the border as commercial entry unless you have a transponder issued by CBP. It does not matter whether you use 7533 or 7523.
Hope this helps. Let us know if you have other question.
Message 90 of 261
latest reply

Anyone know if there is a service out of Kingston area that brings items across the border?

Message 91 of 261
latest reply

Haven't posted here for awhile-----

If anyone has any questions regarding USPS or US Customs---fire away   🙂

Message 92 of 261
latest reply

Hi bookstotheborder 

How do you tell what duty applies to or not?  I have the dutiable and duty free forms, not it is sorting out what belongs on which form.

Any assistance is gratefully appreciated.

Message 93 of 261
latest reply

First you need to have the US Harmonized Tariff Number   ----http://hts.usitc.gov/

sometimes a bit difficult to -----there are pages and pages of products listed

This fee is charged on any non-nafta import $200 & over---dutyfree or dutible.    if you can't figure out the duty you will be paying-----but you know the tariff number---call the border with the number and other details

Or you can use this

http://dataweb.usitc.gov/

Message 94 of 261
latest reply

Excellent many thanks for the link to the list.   My US shipping theme is anything over 1 KG that Canada Post shipping kills the profit on!

One general question, is anything made in Canada under NAFTA and no duty?  I have a couple of pieces of Made in Canada weaving equipment worth $200+ each.  Pretty well everything else is under $200. 

Message 95 of 261
latest reply

You shouldn't have to pay anything---just fill out form  7523--US Customs

Just one question---does the weaving equipment have marks on it showing that it was made in Canada?

Message 96 of 261
latest reply

Yes it clearly states the manufacturer name, city, province and Made in Canada, so should be good to go.

Greatly appreciate all your input to this thread, thank you.
Message 97 of 261
latest reply

Does anybody know of a similair service offered in Windsor, Ontario? We're right on the Michigan border so it baffles me that I can't seem to find one!

Message 98 of 261
latest reply

Hello lecoffre. Just wondering if you received an answer regarding shipping from Kingston, Ont. I have a guy that delivers my items to the USPS in Alexandria Bay.
Message 99 of 261
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable
Don't ever use USPS free poster tubes!! They are way too light and not worth it. Check Uline for their poster tubes (don't buy their most cheapest kind, too light). It depends on how many posters you have, if lots like 1,000 or more, then Uline would be perfect for you to order poster tubes or boxes. What I usually buy poster tubes in 3" diamater and wrap tissues (buy at Dollarama or Uline) around the poster and then put it inside the poster tubes. That way the poster won't get any dings if the poster tubes get dings. It worked for me. Out of 200 per year, I got 1 damage as if there was an elephant stomping on it! It was insured, thanks God for that. I shipped them by Tracked Packet at one flat same rate for all states or Expedited (depending on the value if over $100.00). Strange about Tracket Packet is that it accepted larger dimension while Expedited don't and yet Expedited is expensive with limited dimension comparing to Tracket Packet!! You need to do homework and check out at PayPal Shipping. Good luck.
Message 100 of 261
latest reply