Any Canadian sellers here who use USPS to ship their items?

I am curious if there are any Canadian sellers who use USPS... like going down the the states and shipping their wares through there?

I'm asking because I've heard of some people doing this, but I am not sure of the logistics of it all, like, do you require a US mailing return address on it or can you use your own Canadian address? Do you even need a return address on it?

I have a bunch of posters that I would like to sell, but being from Canada, I am afraid that CanadaPost is going to charge an arm and a leg for them, so I would like to see if shipping via USPS is a viable option for me since I live near the border (though this would probably require me getting a Nexus pass to make it worth my time).

Message 1 of 261
latest reply
260 REPLIES 260

Has anyone tried using an US based ecommerce shipping solution to print their labels before sending it to one of these delivery services? I know that Chit Chat Express has a partnership with Stamps.com, but there are other companies, like ShippingEasy, that offer lower rates than Stamps.com. I'm thinking of printing my labels with them, using the delivery service's US address as my account's address, and then sending my package with the label to the company to be taken to the United States. Would this work?

Message 101 of 261
latest reply

"Would this work?"

The only one who can give you a definitive answer to that question is the forwarder - the company you select to carry your packages from Canada to the USA.  Ask them.

Message 102 of 261
latest reply

Ok. I will do that. Is there a comprehensive list of these companies for the GTA?

Message 103 of 261
latest reply

Posting rules do not allow advertising but I am confident you can easily find a list through search engines.

Frankly I do not know how and where these businesses make their money. 

However, I suspect part of their income is generated by the purchase/sale of postage.  I cannot see how they can survive charging only $1 or $2 per parcel to carry from a major centre to a post office in the USA after crossing the border. 

Many many years ago I offered a mailing service locally where I would charge only a few cents (over the postage rate) to stuff and address envelope for mailing.  The profit was not made on those few cents, it was made on the postage which I typically purchased at 30% below face value.

Message 104 of 261
latest reply

I am bumping this back up because i just found out about this and i'm quite interested in finding out someone/business that does this from Montreal. I went through the thread and only mention is chitchatsexpress which have locations in Ontario only.

So anyone knows or doing this from Montreal, please PM or reply.

Message 105 of 261
latest reply

Hi thunderclawz... Few days ago I received infos about a new service from Mtl to USA. It should be in place by mid september. They will have few drop place in Montreal and are, also pick-up service will be available.

I will post any other information as soon as they are available  

Message 106 of 261
latest reply

Not sure if you sent me another pm. I seem to have problems locating where the private messages are. Maybe easier if you contact me through ebays member to member, unless someone can point me in the direction of the private messages.
Message 107 of 261
latest reply

what about product over $200 which is not duty free.

Message 108 of 261
latest reply

@ronin2024 wrote:

Cannot use ChitChat, ship by CanadaPost or courier.

Message 109 of 261
latest reply

@kingstonconsignment wrote:
Not sure if you sent me another pm. I seem to have problems locating where the private messages are. Maybe easier if you contact me through ebays member to member, unless someone can point me in the direction of the private messages.

Scroll up and near the top of the page you should see Messages with a number in the box beside it. Click on Messages.

Message 110 of 261
latest reply

No correct Pierre.

we carry over 150.000 parcels a month to the US in the slow period. We dont make a cent on postage. in fact people who come to the store use our printers and can clearly see how much the USPS postage is. They get all the discounts we get ourselves.
Message 111 of 261
latest reply

"No correct Pierre"

Sorry if I misunderstood the business model.

Would you allow Canadian sellers to bring their parcels to you, with US stamps already affixed on the parcels? 

As you know, US postage is easily available online at 20% to 25% below face value and Canadian sellers could save substantially, just as many do on their domestic postage.

Message 112 of 261
latest reply

No problem Pierre

The fact is,Of  the parcels shipped with us, over 80% have postage printed or applied before we see the package.Many of . people who ship letter mail or first class below 13 oz, don't use our postage program as it doesn't save them any money

Message 113 of 261
latest reply

By any chance, is there a service like this in Edmonton?

Message 114 of 261
latest reply

No But books to the border is within courier distance

Message 115 of 261
latest reply

Sorry. What I meant was what forms do your fill out if your product is over $200 and not duty free and you want to take it across to mail it. 

Message 116 of 261
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

"No correct Pierre"

Sorry if I misunderstood the business model.

Would you allow Canadian sellers to bring their parcels to you, with US stamps already affixed on the parcels? 

As you know, US postage is easily available online at 20% to 25% below face value and Canadian sellers could save substantially, just as many do on their domestic postage.

Canadian can bring their parcels to our store with pre-paid USPS postage and we will take them across the border  to USPS.

As you said, US postage is easily available. Ebay sellers can just print the labels online from ebay.com/paypal.

DYK Post, a DYK Logistics Inc. Company
Message 117 of 261
latest reply

@chitchatsexpress wrote:

No But books to the border is within courier distance

We will soon be opening a location near Edmonton South.

This will help you guys in Edmonton.

Message 118 of 261
latest reply

@ronin2024 wrote:

Where is it going to?

USA or international?

Message 119 of 261
latest reply

Today I went across the Point Roberts WA border with 5 packages valued at $200+.  Previously they charged $6 for the complete declaration form but today I'm charged $6 x 5 = $30.  They explained they're applying the rules more strictly now.  This measure will hit my bottom line hard and I may have to find better alternatives.  The problem is, shipping from the USA to Europe (where some of my clients are) takes only about 10 to 15 days by USPS Priority International, while shipping by Canada Post takes 1 to 3 months, and very significantly higher in postage.

Message 120 of 261
latest reply