Any Canadian sellers here who use USPS to ship their items?

I am curious if there are any Canadian sellers who use USPS... like going down the the states and shipping their wares through there?

I'm asking because I've heard of some people doing this, but I am not sure of the logistics of it all, like, do you require a US mailing return address on it or can you use your own Canadian address? Do you even need a return address on it?

I have a bunch of posters that I would like to sell, but being from Canada, I am afraid that CanadaPost is going to charge an arm and a leg for them, so I would like to see if shipping via USPS is a viable option for me since I live near the border (though this would probably require me getting a Nexus pass to make it worth my time).

Message 1 of 261
latest reply
260 REPLIES 260

@kecoken wrote:

Today I went across the Point Roberts WA border with 5 packages valued at $200+. 

$200+ EACH? Or the total value of all of them was $200+?

Message 121 of 261
latest reply

Hey everyone - I recently started using chitchat express and am using their us Niagara falls addy - I changed my ebay.ca registrant address to the Niagara chit chat address - My question is ? Did i do this right>? I have more than one address on there? Will it not show I am in Canada? but shipping from US?

Message 122 of 261
latest reply

hi there 

can you email me the customs declaration form

thx mark

Message 123 of 261
latest reply

recped posted this link in another thread.   Adding it to this thread, as this is a good reference thread.

recped posted about looking up HS codes:

You can look up the codes here:

http://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/wtz/business/findHsCode?execution=e1s5

Declared value should be the selling price. The official US free limit is US$200, in actuality for items sent by mail from Canada it extremely rare for a package to be charged duty or require full customs processing if the value is below $2500. Shipments sent by private carrier (UPS / FedEx) always require a formal customs entry if the value is US$200 or more.

-----------------------------------------------

Message 124 of 261
latest reply

I have a couple of questions When filling out form 7523.

The IMPORTER OF RECORD is the buyer.  Is this correct? 

Who do you put for the INSPECTED AND PASSED FREE OF DUTY BY: box?  Is this for Customs to fill in?

And finally box 12 and 18 Agent box is for me to sign?

Message 125 of 261
latest reply

Thanks for info RockP, please let us know about MONTREAL to US border service.

JS

Message 126 of 261
latest reply

Anyone have any luck finding a service similar to chitchatexpress for montreal?

Message 127 of 261
latest reply

Way upthread there was a mention of montrealbooks at videotron who at the time of posting were charging $1 a parcel plus USPS postage.

You'll have to look for it yourself.

Message 128 of 261
latest reply

"Hey everyone - I recently started using chitchat express and am using their us Niagara falls addy - I changed my ebay.ca registrant address to the Niagara chit chat address - My question is ? Did i do this right>? I have more than one address on there? Will it not show I am in Canada? but shipping from US?"

I would also like the answer to this. I want my listings to show that they are shipping from the US, do I just change my shipping address to ChitChats US address?

Also, what do you guys recommend, Endicia , or Stamps? 

Message 129 of 261
latest reply

Also, what do you guys recommend, Endicia , or Stamps? 

I use the free Stamps.com version, it's quite simple and does everything necessary (and it's free!).

On the address question, I don't claim to be shipping from the USA, my item location shows Canada. Telling buyers you are "shipping from the the USA" may lead to higher expectations such as asking why it takes two days from the time you print postage to the time it gets an acceptance scan.

I only do flat-rate shipping so I have no need of the USPS shipping calculator on .com, If you need the calculator then you need to have a US zip code ship from.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 130 of 261
latest reply

I use the free Stamps.com version, it's quite simple and does everything necessary (and it's free!).

On the address question, I don't claim to be shipping from the USA, my item location shows Canada. Telling buyers you are "shipping from the the USA" may lead to higher expectations such as asking why it takes two days from the time you print postage to the time it gets an acceptance scan.

I only do flat-rate shipping so I have no need of the USPS shipping calculator on .com, If you need the calculator then you need to have a US zip code ship from.

Oh great there is a free version, I will have to check that out. According to Chit Chats the packages arrive to US by Next Day, so I am assuming that is when the acceptance scan would take place. 

I have two eBay accounts already, so I was hoping to set one up with a US address, and sell only in US dollars, I am hoping to have my items come up in the search better that way (although this is just a theory) 

I hope someone with a similar setup can chime in. Thanks everyone 

Message 131 of 261
latest reply

Really interested in this service in Montreal. Tryed to contact chitchat for 3 weeks, still no reply...

Message 132 of 261
latest reply

game_repair wrote:

Oh great there is a free version, I will have to check that out. According to Chit Chats the packages arrive to US by Next Day, so I am assuming that is when the acceptance scan would take place. 

I have two eBay accounts already, so I was hoping to set one up with a US address, and sell only in US dollars, I am hoping to have my items come up in the search better that way (although this is just a theory) 

I hope someone with a similar setup can chime in. Thanks everyone 

Would that even work? Wouldn't your paypal need to be US as well? Meaning you would need us bank acc etc

Message 133 of 261
latest reply

You can list on .com if you want to use calculated shipping, I don't think there is any extra visibility  although perhaps if you claim on this US id that your items are physically located in the US.

You do not need  separate PayPal account. Within your PayPal account you can have multiple currencies.

Packages dropped off to ChitChat will be handed over to USPS in the late afternoon or early evening of the following day.

Here's an example:

Deliver to ChitChat on Monday

Packages turned over to USPS on Tuesday

Priority delivered to most locations on Thursday

First class to most location on Friday (a few on Thursday, a few on Saturday)

Media Mail/Parcel Select delivered usually in 5 - 7 days, slightly longer to some locations

For First Class & Priority you should see acceptance scans (Niagara Falls) and first sort facility scans (Rochester) the same day they are dropped off.

For Media Mail acceptance scans are a bit spotty, the first scan for certain is usually the following day at the Warrendale PA facility.

You only need a US bank account is you want to remove the funds from PayPal AND keep them in US Dollars. If you want to open a US bank account the easiest way in a post-911 world is to drive down to Buffalo and open one in person. Besides ID you should also find and complete the IRS form W8-BEN which exempts Canadians from withholding tax.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 134 of 261
latest reply

@recped wrote:
You only need a US bank account is you want to remove the funds from PayPal AND keep them in US Dollars.

And why not a Canadian Bank account denominated in US dollars? All banks in Canada offer such possibility. Additionally, several banks have also ATM machines able to dispense US dollars.

Message 135 of 261
latest reply

And why not a Canadian Bank account denominated in US dollars? All banks in Canada offer such possibility. Additionally, several banks have also ATM machines able to dispense US dollars.

Apparently Paypal doesn't allow that. I don't know if that is Paypal's choice or if it has something to do with Canadian law.

Message 136 of 261
latest reply

cost_melo
Community Member
Hi There

Can someone tell me if there is this type of service in or close to Kingston, On?

Thanks
Message 137 of 261
latest reply

pjcdn2005 wrote in reply to 38e_avenue:

Apparently Paypal doesn't allow that. I don't know if that is Paypal's choice or if it has something to do with Canadian law.

More to do with the way money is transfered between financial institutions. CCH in Canada, ACH in the USA.
Most Canadian bank accounts (including the US $ accounts) are set up to use the CCH system. Some banks do have US $ accounts that are ACH enabled (but you have to ask to get one).  Those that are ACH enabled can do transfers through the American system.
This not a problem unique to paypal. Over on the river if you sold on .com you need a US$ ACH enabled bank account to get paid in US$, and .ca required a CA$ CCH enabled bank account,
Message 138 of 261
latest reply

cost_melo
Community Member
Not sure why but I think my last post got deleted. I was just wondering if the services hear that you're talking about are available in and around Kingston Ontario?
Message 139 of 261
latest reply

Hi kingstonconsignment 

Can you please message me about Shipping from Kingston? Not sure how to message someone on here.

Thanks Melody

Message 140 of 261
latest reply