Any body else about done?

So why have we allowed feebay to become this filthy pig that it is today?  Anything that is wrong with it can be directly blamed on the users who have accepted it and allowed it...no, forced it to grow into what it is today.  Do you remember when you used to be able to write ebay and get a little help?  I mean not much help and usually just a form letter referring to help pages or generic text that rarely applied to what you were asking but it was something.  Something to ask "Why?" of, something that simulated caring or customer service.  As far as they are concerned I should be gold.  I pay them the fees, not the buyer and I am pretty sure this is true because I get charged on fees even when the person they screened and set me up with for the sale falls through.  The last time I tried to reclaim that fee, it ended up counting against me that I had cancelled a sale, like a lack of inventory or something.  I figure if I am a small seller but am paying them 300 to 500 a month to sell that there should be some service associated with that from them to me.  500 a month US is what it would take me to open small local retail space or several market type installments and you bet there is service at those things...actual people no less.  

How can it be fair that if a buyer asks me about an items arrival time, it counts against me?  Am I being penalized for invoking contact or using bandwidth or something?  When I blow people up about why they would dispute me rather than write me directly the answer is almost always the same.  All I did was click on contact sellers, and click ask about my item not arriving etc.  The form does not say, to open a dispute with your seller and stick a pin in their eye, click here.  Selling internationally is a challenge, for sure and it always was but now it is obscene and offensive to me to get a couple of these a day.  ebay doesn't care, as long as they get the money, they advertise false times to buyers and then hide behind international may take longer to arrive garbage and leave me to explain the postal system to everyone.  And the feedback section, shipping time.  I think it means the part I have control over, how long did I take to get this going.  I think a lot of people see that as how long did the item take to arrive so the wording of that as well is set to pitchfork.  As long as I get the baton once in awhile, they don't have to discount my listing FVFs, and we are good with that I can tell as it just happened and no one else said boo.  I think another issue I am having is how can someone dispute an items arrival when they have chose the slowest shipping option and the window of delivery is only half way through.  Like if its 6 to 8 weeks delivery, how can ebay allow a claim to be started.  Just starting it is the poison right?, I mean I have now 6 started and 0 ended without my involvement and 100% feedback, do I seem like a suspicious seller?   a frign mad seller sometimes, but respectful and very caring of every item and every person.  Yet, the numbers are still there, like people asking questions is punishment or something.  Should I say in my listings, ebay doesn't want any after sale contact apparently so your item will be X long and don't even think about asking or bugging me before then, I would love to say that.  Another thing that causes me to laugh out loud sometimes is seeing the provide the buyer with proof of shipping...I buy all my labels through ebay so maybe they should provide something because if they are doing that for free, it is the only thing they are doing for free.

A last mention for this is listing, just using the sell an item tab as I found turbo lister to be a misnomer I had no interest in promoting.  When I do a listing, and maybe I am nuts here but I start, you know, at the top of the page so to speak.  I pick a category, then a store category and title etc, work my way down the page.  Does anyone start their listing by pricing it? or by selecting a duration for it?  I ask because when I fill either of these fields my page reloads and jumps me back up to the top, sometimes in the condition statement box, but usually back to the top.  So then I kind of looked (the first 50 times anyway) to see if I missed something etc, usually when a page jumps you to another section it is because it needs an input there, not just cause its all like "d;uh how'd we git here?"  I am used to most services and links etc leading nowhere using the .ca site, something else a good amount of people must be grooving as it is still happening.  It is like it opened yesterday and everyone is growing with it, meanwhile I think I sold my first .ca thing in 2000.  You expect a little something out of your 15yr old, well, most people do.  This "child" is still in diapers and it is getting hard to burp it let alone keep feeding it, I am sucked about dry.

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You make a valid point about sellers allowing this to happen because we continue to use the platform without protest. 

My pet peeve is the number of times my photos are ripped off by other sellers. Each time I report it to ebay, the matter is completely and summarily ignored. I feel twice-over violated as a result.

And don't forget the part about how we're strong-armed into offering items to countries where they'll never actually arrive. Russian Federation, for example, is now default checked in the sell form. Oh, yes, ebay might protect us against low DSRs but not against having to accept negative feedback or disperse refunds for items (even those tracked) that never arrive at their destination due to staggering postal delays or theft along the way. (At least that is how I understood the full implications of those particular announcements.)

Thanks but no thanks. I don't need that kind of aggravation. I'm already dancing with the devil by offering Canada Post Small Packets Airmail to select countries in Europe. It is my opinion that eBay needs to do a MUCH BETTER job in gaining postal discounts for us through Canada Post. I'm certain a huge volume of the parcels generated come via paypal shipping. This would make tracking on parcels so much more a viable option for buyers.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Ebay is not a company I would feel safe investing in.
Message 2 of 28
latest reply

Paragraphs and breaks please. Very hard on the eyes.

Thanks

Message 3 of 28
latest reply

You make a valid point about sellers allowing this to happen because we continue to use the platform without protest. 

My pet peeve is the number of times my photos are ripped off by other sellers. Each time I report it to ebay, the matter is completely and summarily ignored. I feel twice-over violated as a result.

And don't forget the part about how we're strong-armed into offering items to countries where they'll never actually arrive. Russian Federation, for example, is now default checked in the sell form. Oh, yes, ebay might protect us against low DSRs but not against having to accept negative feedback or disperse refunds for items (even those tracked) that never arrive at their destination due to staggering postal delays or theft along the way. (At least that is how I understood the full implications of those particular announcements.)

Thanks but no thanks. I don't need that kind of aggravation. I'm already dancing with the devil by offering Canada Post Small Packets Airmail to select countries in Europe. It is my opinion that eBay needs to do a MUCH BETTER job in gaining postal discounts for us through Canada Post. I'm certain a huge volume of the parcels generated come via paypal shipping. This would make tracking on parcels so much more a viable option for buyers.

Message 4 of 28
latest reply

My pet peeve is the number of times my photos are ripped off by other sellers

Have you tried adding a watermark to the pictures?

Russian Federation, for example, is now default checked in the sell form.

No, it isn't.

It is included in the choices for Custom Destination, but you have to check it yourself.

You can also set up a Block against bidders from countries (or continents) you do not wish to sell to.

Message 5 of 28
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I gave up after 6th line, too close, you need to paragraph and separate them.  Very hard on eyes.  So I cannot continue to read it anymore.  Sorry.

Message 6 of 28
latest reply

Same here. Gave up after reading 5 lines. No paragraphs, no blank lines between paragraphs so impossible to read in detail or skim read paragraphs quickly. Even with paragraphs, way too long to be a coherent post most likely.

Message 7 of 28
latest reply

...the post is relatively coherent I felt considering I was not totally thrilled when I wrote it.

In ebay fashion it turned out looking a lot worse after it was posted than it was displayed to me here.  Here it looked more like the letters I would have made in typing class.

I could not find a way to edit the post so I was intending to just select an answer or something to make it go away.

I definitely defend what it says, but saying it was more for me.  It was moved by a moderator to this group/area so it was at least partially read or something.  Anyway, thank you for your input.

I will make the posts more...this, and hopefully if there is any message to be had or taken away; one will be able to follow along long enough to find it in there.

Thanks,

Kim

Message 8 of 28
latest reply

Sorry about that, it did look better on my screen, thanks for the attempt anyway.  If I could edit I would and if I still cared or thought it 

really mattered I would repost it.  

Thanks again,

Kimmy

Message 9 of 28
latest reply

A good point indeed, but many posters just want to talk about grammar there, their, they're 🙂
Message 10 of 28
latest reply

Thank you for your suggestion. Ebay's available watermarks have always been on my photos. I'd like to note it also doesn't stop other sellers from using my images with them on it. Visible on it. On their listing. 

Shipping to Russian Federation is most certainly checked by default on each and every sell form I open regardless of whether it is a 'relist' or 'sell similar'. I have to uncheck it if I care but Russia has always been on my blocked list so there is no imminent danger there. But I cannot be the only seller to experience this. (Are you listing on ebay.ca or ebay.com?) A new or inexperienced seller will find themselves shipping to a place they do not expect if this is a 'technical' glitch that affects only some users. I assumed it was deliberate because it followed ebay's 'please sell to Russia and Brazil' announcement. 

And now to those of you who complained you couldn't read the original post because of paragraph breaks.... really? Really? You took the time to complain it was too hard to read but couldn't be bothered to even try to read it? I'm half blind in BOTH eyes and yet somehow I managed. If 'golly, too hard to read' is your response to someone's request for help, I have to question what you're doing on this board in the first place because that is not being helpful by any stretch of the imagination. Buyers routinely come here with questions that are scarcely coherent and they are answered respectfully. Answering someone's call for help with 'needs paragraph breaks' is not, in my humble opinion, exactly respectful. 

Message 11 of 28
latest reply

Well said, people come here for help and get childish remarks.
Message 12 of 28
latest reply

I've never seen Russia automatically checked off either.

"Answering someone's call for help with 'needs paragraph breaks' is not, in my humble opinion, exactly respectful."

And calling a business a filthy pig is respectful?  I read parts of the post but to be honest, if someone is name calling in the first part of their post, it's almost a guarantee that the post is not a request for help, it is a rant and the poster is just letting off steam. If someone wants to rant...that's fine...but most people are not going to make a big effort to read a rant that is difficult to read as there is rarely a way to reply to a rant in a helpful way..

Message 13 of 28
latest reply

Have you tried putting the watermark on the item rather than on the bottom where it can easily be cropped off? I don't know how ebay watermarks work but if that is the only way to do them, the solution might be to do your own watermarks.

Message 14 of 28
latest reply

You make a fair point. When I read the term 'filthy pig' I did not take it literally but more as a colloquialism for 'beast' and carried onward from there. And, again, you are correct in that it often difficult to discern steam-letting from calls for assistance. Sometimes people do both. I think the Original Poster would probably benefit from giving his/her buyers a limited choice for shipping options that prevents them from saving money by opting for surface service BUT that is something I would hope ebay should govern. Why does ebay allow sellers to offer it if it flies in the face of every delivery standard accepted as a best practise by ebay?

And, I kid you not, every single Relist and Sell Similar listing of mine has Russian Federation checked by default despite the fact that Russia has always been blocked from among my ship-to countries. It happened immediately after that announcement which implored us to sell to Russia and Brazil. I took this to be deliberate and sneaky, not a technical error, so it surprises me somewhat to hear that other sellers have not been affected by it the same as I have. 

To answer your other question, ebay watermarks only seem to land on the bottom left. There was once an option presented to place it elsewhere but it never worked, I tried. Adding my own watermarks might work, however, the most recent photo policy announcement made it very sternly clear that if a seller dared to place their own watermark on an image, it could not in any way obstruct any part of the image. So, planting my user id in the middle on the object where it might actually dissuade photo theft would no doubt violate the policy. 

Message 15 of 28
latest reply

I hear you! eBay has just gotten so out of hand! God forbid you have an issue as a seller! You might as well take your stuff, flush it down the toilet and set fire to a $20 just for good measure, because eBay doesn't give a rats A-- about its small volume sellers-Even when the buyer is so outrageously wrong-they still hold by stupid policies and don't bother to look at the merits of the case-they just paint everyone with the same brush!

Yeah, I think I'm just about done with eBay myself! It was a good run in the early days but its just to much BS now! Global Shipping Program ripoff!, stupid shipping policies, and absolutely NO customer support for sellers! Its too bad, because it is so globally excepted, but soon it will be just another Ali Baba with a better credit score! 

Good Luck to those that want to persevere! Me, I think I'm completely done as a seller! Time to look elsewhere to pawn my wears!

In general eBay SUCKS!

Message 16 of 28
latest reply

I can honestly say that I have never had any problem with customer service when dealing with an Ebay representative. in fact they have always been quite helpful. 

my problem with this site is that it has changed so much and stopped being what made it great for 3rd party sellers.

like most corporations it seems that it has grown too big for it's own good. the first nail in the coffin was no longer allowing sellers to leave negative feedback for buyers. Yes I get it that sometimes it just became ranting and name calling between buyers and sellers but instead of getting rid of it why not have generic negative feedback..like unpaid order.

my problem with ebay now is the absolute lack of traffic. where did all the buyers go? (I have an idea since I am now selling 20-30 items a week elsewhere) 

all these proposed changes that will make things tougher for sellers will not bring people back. those who have been screwed over in the past by sellers who were allowed to post their shady listings will never be back no matter how 'safer' you make it for buyers.

online auctions seem to have lost their allure so that does not help either..which is weird because every estate auction I attend always have more and more people at them and prices have gone through the roof. so the question is? where have those people gone to sell their collectibles and antiques?

I have a few items that I have listed now and once they end that will be it for awhile here for me. I will wait and  see what the fall roll out looks like and what affect it will have on Canadian sellers

Message 17 of 28
latest reply

Can you please stop resurrecting old threads? Thanks.
Message 18 of 28
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Whats wrong with resurrecting an old thread?  I am truly curious?   I don't see anything wrong with it if there is something to add to or relate with.  It happens all the time in forums.Cat Surprised

Message 19 of 28
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

Whats wrong with resurrecting an old thread?  I am truly curious?   I don't see anything wrong with it if there is something to add to or relate with.  It happens all the time in forums.Cat Surprised

There is nothing wrong with it. 

Message 20 of 28
latest reply