Anyone else experiencing their LOWEST SALES EVER with the switch to CDN funds only???

44 REPLIES 44

Anyone else experiencing their LOWEST SALES EVER with the switch to CDN funds only???

Nope. Pretty much as usual, but I have been listing in both currencies for some years.

Remember your customers see your prices in the currency of the site they are searching on.

If you sell something on dotCA for $9.99CDN, your American shopper sees it as  a bargain $8.00USD.

If you sell something on dot COM for $9.99USD, your Canadian shopper sees it as $12.00CDN.

I can't speak to dollar value of course, but you have left 75 FB for buyers in the past 12 months. That's about 6.25 sales each month for the past year, and as of May 15 you already have four of those.

Since your numbers appear to be normal, is the dropoff in average sale value?

Message 2 of 45
latest reply

What is your question?

I see you had 14 sales in the last month which is more than your monthly average.  What exactly is the problem?

Message 3 of 45
latest reply

If you are experiencing a lull, I'd have to suggest that it has little to nothing to do with your currency of choice. April to June is always slower for me than any other part of the year. 

Message 4 of 45
latest reply

My sales slowdown has come just in the last few weeks following my switching to CDN listings. Lower sales but also just generally lower traffic. Perhaps it is the time of year and I am being premature, but I worry that US buyers won't understand the currency change. I think that when they view the actual listing, the two currencies (and the fact that CDN for price and shipping is in superscript bold making the prices appear higher) will be a big deterrent. Also, when they MAKE AN OFFER, why are they given a CDN currency box? They should only see and make offers in USD, which is their currency.

Message 5 of 45
latest reply

"when they MAKE AN OFFER, why are they given a CDN currency box? "

An offer is always based on the currency of the listing, not the domestic currency where the buyer lives.

If the buyer is located in Great Britain, the offer is in Cdn$ if the listing is in Cdn$. 

The offer from a German is in Cdn$, not in euro if the listing is in Cdn$. 

Similarly, if the buyer is located in the USA, the offer is in Cdn$ since the listing is in Cdn$.

Message 6 of 45
latest reply

Mine are pretty well non existant.  Since they are strong on other venues I don't think its the time of year

Message 7 of 45
latest reply

Mine are pretty well non existant.

According to your feedback you have sold 38 items in the past 30 days.

And your 12 month sales are 311.

-- a monthly average of ~26 sales.

So you are ahead of your average.

It's amazing how often that is true with these complaints. Not always, but often enough that I wonder if some sellers don't actually know how many sales and how much money they are actually making here.

Message 8 of 45
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Mine are pretty well non existant.

According to your feedback you have sold 38 items in the past 30 days.

And your 12 month sales are 311.

-- a monthly average of ~26 sales.

So you are ahead of your average.

It's amazing how often that is true with these complaints. Not always, but often enough that I wonder if some sellers don't actually know how many sales and how much money they are actually making here.

reallynicestamps, you seem to be counting Seller and Buyer stats under All feedback for the 38 in the past month. If I look under the "Feedback as a seller" tab, I see 14 sales "During Past month", 37 "During Past  months", 71 "During past year" for a total of 122 sales in the past year.

Still the sales with feedback are 14 of past month of 122 for past year are higher than average of previous year of about 10 per month.

But is feedback a good way to measure a seller sales since feedback left by buyers is so low today? I suppose it is as a sample of sales most of the time. But using feedback for sales performance is viewing the past from 2 to 4 weeks ago because of the time lag in buyers receiving the item.

Message 9 of 45
latest reply

"But is feedback a good way to measure a seller sales"

Not really. 

However, if you look at actual listings sold, you will reach the same conclusion: this seller is complaining for the wrong reason.  Sales are not down, they are not down because of change to the Cdn$ listing choice.

Message 10 of 45
latest reply

I personally have tried to sell in Canadian funds vs US and I saw a definite decline in sales. As a majority of my sales are made to the USA, it was simply more expedient and convenient for my buyers to list in USD. Why complicate a situation for a buyer?  History shows that ebay serves its own self interests fist and foremost, there is little regard for the individual seller, so do not think for a minute that ebay made this policy to assist us! 

Message 11 of 45
latest reply

I sell on com, only. I just had my best week in 14 years. I am having my second best month ever. Sales are booming.

Photobucket
Message 12 of 45
latest reply

It is unfortunate that folks are forced to abandon .ca, but there it is.

Message 13 of 45
latest reply

@andyandted wrote:

It is unfortunate that folks are forced to abandon .ca, but there it is.

Andy, I am hoping to go to the eBay convention in July. I will try and ask the ca reps what the deal is. I am sure I will get a helpful response.

To my way of thinking, they are attempting to do what they did with Kijiji. Kijiji pretty much wiped out all competition.

I simply do not understand why my CDN sales are about 2-4% of my business when they should be at least 10%. It has always been this way, all 14 years I have been doing this.

Photobucket
Message 14 of 45
latest reply

I'm perfectly content selling on eBay.ca in CAD. My issue is the absence of Promotions Manager. With that, it'd be perfect in terms of its offerings and sales results.
Message 15 of 45
latest reply

"I just had my best week in 14 years."

Lucky for you as you list/sell in the one category (auto parts) eBay.ca recommends selling in US$ on eBay.com

Why Canadians do not buy from you?  They prefer to go to Canadian Tire on Saturday morning to shop for parts after enjoying a double double at Timmy's with a couple of donuts!  It is part of the Canadian tradition (a religion for some!) Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 45
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

"I just had my best week in 14 years."

Lucky for you as you list/sell in the one category (auto parts) eBay.ca recommends selling in US$ on eBay.com

Why Canadians do not buy from you?  They prefer to go to Canadian Tire on Saturday morning to shop for parts after enjoying a double double at Timmy's with a couple of donuts!  It is part of the Canadian tradition (a religion for some!) Smiley Happy

That would be great except I sell nick-nacks: cupholders, trunk latches, glove box handles, window switches, etc. Stuff you either get from me or not at all. A lot of what I sell is discontinued at dealers or far too expensive.

I have sold more glove box handles to Israel than I have to Canada. Same vehicles there as here.

Photobucket
Message 17 of 45
latest reply

I simply do not understand why my CDN sales are about 2-4% of my business when they should be at least 10%. It has always been this way, all 14 years I have been doing this.

Canadians have historically been less willing to buy through mail order than Americans.

When I was in the wood stove business, we got a Vermont Castings franchise because the company could not sell enough stoves in Canada to support mailing their catalogue.

(These were top of the line, US made stoves in the $900- $1200 range when most stoves were $300-$600)

The franchised stores in Ontario immediately started selling as many as VC did out their factory door and our store in the first year sold more than VC had in Canada the year before.

Cultural differences, I guess.

Message 18 of 45
latest reply

@doc_holidays wrote:

My sales slowdown has come just in the last few weeks following my switching to CDN listings. Lower sales but also just generally lower traffic. Perhaps it is the time of year and I am being premature, but I worry that US buyers won't understand the currency change. I think that when they view the actual listing, the two currencies (and the fact that CDN for price and shipping is in superscript bold making the prices appear higher) will be a big deterrent. Also, when they MAKE AN OFFER, why are they given a CDN currency box? They should only see and make offers in USD, which is their currency.

Ditto. After an April that was average or above (when many of my higher ticket items were still in USD), my stats for May (after having mostly converted to CAD) have been a bust on almost every front:

• Sales are down by almost 50%
  • Watchers are down by over 40%
  • Final Values are down 20% - 25% on Best Offers which my U.S. competitors continue get, despite their higher total cost with shipping
  • Fixed Price items and shipping now lower in CAD than they were when selling steadily in USD, are simply not selling period.

Actually, my only stats up are the number of refund *claims* for item not received - more of those in the past 5 weeks than the previous 5 years (and I am not exaggerating one teensy bit there). I've seen a ridiculous spike in such refunds, w-a-y above the shrinkage norm.

So I don't know what I think anymore. With eBay's previous sea changes, I could always manage to chart a successful course, not just sustaining, but also increasing sales, working with their changes, rather than fighting them. But somehow this doesn't feel anything like that.

I just have this gut feeling that remaining on *.ca listing in CAD might not have been the wisest choice for me after all. Literally everything is "off".

Message 19 of 45
latest reply

However, if you look at actual listings sold, ---- How you do that?

Message 20 of 45
latest reply