Anyone else experiencing their LOWEST SALES EVER with the switch to CDN funds only???

44 REPLIES 44

Anyone else experiencing their LOWEST SALES EVER with the switch to CDN funds only???

To look at actual listings sold, do a search of items for sale by seller ("view listings") and, in the panel at left, select "Sold Listings".

That system is not perfect as it does not reflect individual transactions for GTC listings listed with multiple quantities.

Message 21 of 45
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

To look at actual listings sold, do a search of items for sale by seller ("view listings") and, in the panel at left, select "Sold Listings".

That system is not perfect as it does not reflect individual transactions for GTC listings listed with multiple quantities.

Yep. I sell more Ford Focus gray dome lights than anyone, but, you can't see all my sales.

Photobucket
Message 22 of 45
latest reply

Notwithstanding the way it helps Community members answer other members' questions, I've never understood the reason any of that Sold or Completed Listings information is public. It seems to me like the kind of information that should be kept confidenail. A buyer's purchases have been confidential to the point there is now no associated date with a transaction where feedback is left so what reason is there to make public the list some other seller's ended listings?

Message 23 of 45
latest reply

@mr.elmwood wrote:

@pierrelebel wrote:

Yep. I sell more Ford Focus gray dome lights than anyone, but, you can't see all my sales.

I always considered this a potential downside with Quantity sales, and have never used that feature. Even when I have 6-12 of a particular title I always run it until one sells, then either Relist or use the Sell Similar option. Basically, I wasn't certain how Cassini's metrics would treat multiple sales vs. serial one-offs.

Are you saying that despite the absence of all your Ford dome lights appearing in the Sold Listings search, that this has been sales neutral? Obviously it has worked for you because you're eBay's top seller of that particular auto part. But I would have thought potential buyers would be more reassured seeing how many of a particular thing you've successfully sold and delivered

Some examples from my own recent listings:

Item 1

Item 2

Item 3

Bottom line: I'm still struggling with the resoundingly negative overnight impact of remaining in CAD on *ca. So please don't mistake my curiosity for criticism. I'm just asking questions before I make any more sweeping strategic changes.

Message 24 of 45
latest reply

@doc_scribe wrote:

@mr.elmwood wrote:

@pierrelebel wrote:

I always considered this a potential downside with Quantity sales, and have never used that feature. Even when I have 6-12 of a particular title I always run it until one sells, then either Relist or use the Sell Similar option. Basically, I wasn't certain how Cassini's metrics would treat multiple sales vs. serial one-offs.

Are you saying that despite the absence of all your Ford dome lights appearing in the Sold Listings search, that this has been sales neutral? Obviously it has worked for you because you're eBay's top seller of that particular auto part. But I would have thought potential buyers would be more reassured seeing how many of a particular thing you've successfully sold and delivered

Item 1

Item 2

Item 3

Bottom line: I'm still struggling with the resoundingly negative overnight impact of remaining in CAD on *ca. So please don't mistake my curiosity for criticism. I'm just asking questions before I make any more sweeping strategic changes.

I don't know what buyers see, I only know what I see of my sales.

I also like to think that by trying to follow eBay "best practices", I am ahead of many sellers.

I have never believed in ca, not for one minute. That was truly hammered home at eBay Live Chicago 2008 when we had the Canadian breakfast. "Our" VP was there, well, he was VP of Associated Markets. Yeah, Canada is an "associated market".

Back then there used to be Vancouver and Toronto offices employing a great many people. Now there is just Toronto with, maybe about 5, Pierre might know, people. They also employ a water cooler and a telephone. The stapler was let go as they went paperless.

Photobucket
Message 25 of 45
latest reply

Im still is us dollars, my last month was 35 sales broke my record this month 5 i havnt changed anything,still have the same types of categories so im thinking the weather is nice people are at the cabin out fishing ,i average about 25 sales per month this is my worst ever 

Message 26 of 45
latest reply

...which is why I'm also reluctant to make any more global changes at this point.

And FTR, May was a softer month last year, though nothing like this.

Message 27 of 45
latest reply

@doc_scribe wrote:

@mr.elmwood wrote:

@pierrelebel wrote:

Item 1

Item 2

Item 3

I don't think that most buyers ever look at completed listings. They are more likely to click on one of your current listings and on a multiple quantity they will see how many of that item you have sold.  To me, that is more beneficial.

Plus, I think that Cassini does tend to show listings that have had recent multiple sales.  That's why many Asian sellers listings are shown near the top as they tend to have hundreds of sales on one listing.

Sales have been slowish for me this month too although I haven't made any changes to my listing currency.  

Message 28 of 45
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I don't think that most buyers ever look at completed listings. They are more likely to click on one of your current listings and on a multiple quantity they will see how many of that item you have sold.  To me, that is more beneficial.

Plus, I think that Cassini does tend to show listings that have had recent multiple sales.  That's why many Asian sellers listings are shown near the top as they tend to have hundreds of sales on one listing.

Sales have been slowish for me this month too although I haven't made any changes to my listing currency.  

I began converting on March 24th, starting with any lower ticket DVDs shipping free domestically...that seemed like the least risky 'toe in the water'. Until the first week or so of May, all of my higher-ticket International collector-targeted titles requiring tracked shipping remained in USD. So it's what has happened - or rather not happened - after the first week of May that both perplexes and concerns me. Simply because currency is the only thing that has changed with those listings.

I'm beginning to wonder if there was some kind of search push during March/April which increased our cross-site visibility, including *.com, simply to reassure Cdn sellers that staying on *.ca and listing in CAD wasn't - and wouldn't be - such a big deal. And now we're just seeing more typical traffic for CAD listings without that extra visibility push. I mean, apart from my precipitous sales decline, it's also eerie how many watchers I lost almost overnight...as mentioned in my initial post, over 40%!

Apologies for the singular note among these posts, but frankly, this change has been a near paralyzing experience for me. I'm reluctant to list anything new until I can be more certain what I should be listing...when...where...and how.

Message 29 of 45
latest reply

Funny you should mention that buyers rarely use the search for sold listings. As a seller I use that to feel out the potential market for items and what they sold for. Although the results don't tell you if the buyer actually paid, which is a crucial point for auction style.

Message 30 of 45
latest reply

I have noticed a pretty big dropoff in sales (total dollars) in the last 30 days or so, which is around the time all new listings started to have CDN only as the currency. During this time, I also added USPS Media Mail as a cheaper shipping option (while still leaving the more expensive options in place as well).

My average sales have gone from around $100/day (over 90 days) to $65/day over the last 30 days, to just $40/day over the last week. Over the past year, I have been pretty consistently around the $100/day mark, so this is a VERY noticeable dropoff.

Message 31 of 45
latest reply

Looking at a recent listing, your shipping options to the USA are:

C $6.00
United States
Canada Post Light Packet USA

Estimated Delivery within 6-11 business days
Seller ships within 1 day after
C $8.50
United States
Canada Post Light Packet International

Estimated Delivery within 5-10 business days
C $4.50
United States
Standard Int'l Shipping

" I also added USPS Media Mail as a cheaper shipping option "

Since the item is located in Halifax how can you ship by USPS?

When offering multiple shipping options to buyers (I never considered that a good idea) one should always select the lowest shipping cost option first.  That is what buyers see in search result pages and on the listing page under the price. 

This may be one reason why you sales have dropped.  Your shipping charge as seen is higher than your competitors.  Most buyers will not take the time to investigate and check the shipping tab in your listings for a cheaper rate.  By then they have already purchased from your competitors.

If you are willing to ship to the USA for $4.50, that should be the only shipping option available.  Do not use "international" for USA.

Message 32 of 45
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

Looking at a recent listing, your shipping options to the USA are:

C $6.00
United States
Canada Post Light Packet USA

C $8.50
United States
Canada Post Light Packet International

Estimated Delivery within 5-10 business days
C $4.50
United States
Standard Int'l Shipping

" I also added USPS Media Mail as a cheaper shipping option "

Since the item is located in Halifax how can you ship by USPS?

When offering multiple shipping options to buyers (I never considered that a good idea) one should always select the lowest shipping cost option first.  That is what buyers see in search result pages and on the listing page under the price. 

This may be one reason why you sales have dropped.  Your shipping charge as seen is higher than your competitors.  Most buyers will not take the time to investigate and check the shipping tab in your listings for a cheaper rate.  By then they have already purchased from your competitors.

If you are willing to ship to the USA for $4.50, that should be the only shipping option available.  Do not use "international" for USA.

I was wondering about the USPS thing as well.

Shipping charge? You do realize that a lot of buyers think we get to ship for free or at a greatly reduced rate? Buyers see a shipping charge as an extra tax, or as a way of padding the price.

Experienced American sellers that quote "actual shipping" then turn around and get a healthy discount for printing their postage online.

Photobucket
Message 33 of 45
latest reply

Hi Doc! My personal experience with multi-item listing is that in my world (stamps), multi-listings have significant advantage "cassini wise" over single items.

Anytime I can find multi-item stuff I do, it gets many more views and sales than selling individually. Normally this doesn't happen until a couple have sold, but if one is patient over time it works out...

A couple of my best are:  5,664 views, 231 purchases, 3,776 views 54 purchases.

Generally they go in fits and spurts, nothing for a couple months, then a bunch sell, then quiet again, then a bunch sell and on and on...

Message 34 of 45
latest reply

Ask your self. What has Ebay done to promote Ebay? 

Message 35 of 45
latest reply

@jersey..authentix wrote:

Ask your self. What has Ebay done to promote Ebay? 

Good point. The answer is 'precious little'.

From what I have read, ebay thinks non-paid social media exposure is the way of the future. Except that only works to a company's benefit when a company has good buzz. Do you know anyone who has anything good to say about ebay, ever? The company needs multi-faceted spin, damage-control and should be paying money to control it. 

I do my own advertising for myself to bring buyers to my store, though there's no guarantee they shop with me once they get here. Ebay should be subsidizing me for it. 

Message 36 of 45
latest reply

Hi MJ! I also bring folks to ebay as I have a link to my ebay store in my paid print advertising. I know for certain some folks have joined me from those ads. The good news is that a couple have so far only been buying from me!
Message 37 of 45
latest reply

@nvigate.systems wrote:

Funny you should mention that buyers rarely use the search for sold listings. As a seller I use that to feel out the potential market for items and what they sold for. Although the results don't tell you if the buyer actually paid, which is a crucial point for auction style.

As a seller I always look at sold listings when I am listing something. As a buyer, not so much. 

Message 38 of 45
latest reply

@ians_vintage wrote:

I have noticed a pretty big dropoff in sales (total dollars) in the last 30 days or so, which is around the time all new listings started to have CDN only as the currency. During this time, I also added USPS Media Mail as a cheaper shipping option (while still leaving the more expensive options in place as well).

My average sales have gone from around $100/day (over 90 days) to $65/day over the last 30 days, to just $40/day over the last week. Over the past year, I have been pretty consistently around the $100/day mark, so this is a VERY noticeable dropoff.

Unless I am looking at this wrong... less than 10% of your 700+ listings are in Canadian dollars so is it possible that the currency has nothing to do with this particular slow time?

Message 39 of 45
latest reply

As I said earlier in the thread, as long as I have been selling on ebay, sales for this quarter droop like an old man in the heat. 

Message 40 of 45
latest reply