Anyone successfully ship clothes via Lettermail/Light Packet?

Obviously larger/bulkier items like sweaters or jeans are a no-go as it would be impossible to get them thin enough.

But what about lighter items such as t-shirts? Anyone manage to get them under 2 cm and mail successfully by the above methods? Any tips? I have a bunch of appropriate sized poly mailers, but it just seems that they would be so flimsy inside the poly mailer, and even if I folded the shirt to be less than 2 cm, it could still shift around/fold on itself and become greater than 2 cm thick in places.

I've got some t-shirts and I'd really prefer not having to ship them using parcel methods, but I will if that's the only option I suppose.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

I send children's hats and gloves through lettermail. A small t-shirt is entirely possible. I would recommend a Kraft Envelope, Something that has some rigidness to prevent the shirt from settling.  

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

I never sold T-shirts but I have sold thin flimsy items like plastic folders.
You can fold the T-shirts properly, put it in a plastic bag, then tape it onto a thin cardboard that would allow you to still be under 2cm, and then as theundercutter suggested, use kraft envelope since they are more rigid than poly mailer.
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

I do what zee-chan dsescribed, but use the lightest card inserts from liquor store boxes, cut slightly smaller than the folded and bagged clothing, and use poly mailers as they are more protective.  You don't really need any rigidity, just something to keep them from bunching up.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

I send a lot of my items lettermail. Kids clothes, accessories and even some adult clothes. I use plain kraft envelopes. Wrap the item in one piece of tissue, creatively fold it as flat as possible then insert into the envelope. I then using 2" clear packing tape, remove any air from envelope and tape 5 to 6 strips of tape all around the envelope. It's amazing how flat you can get it. I have sent full child's outfits, adult tops etc this way. Things arrive at the customers in really good shape because the tape adds rigidness to pack and keeps everything tidy. I purchased the little Canada Post plastic measuring device that has a slot in it to verify that things fit so I'm never left wondering. This also helps for light pack U.S as well. I have never had a package refused by Canada post and I definitely push the "envelope" with the thickness. Get creative with your folding and taping and you will be more competitive with your shipping costs if you can qualify for lettermail shipment. There is no tracking of course but there is no tracking for light pack to the U.S either and I have run in to very little issues over the years. In fact the only parcels that CP has ever lost of mine have been expedited ones that had tracking. Lettermail has not failed me yet within Canada and U.s (Light pack)

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

The lightest card I can think of would be the stiffeners in pantyhose. While this is about the same weight as a cereal box, somehow I don't think the cereal box would go over as well.

You could  (shudder) purchase bristol board.

I'm spitballing here.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

I bought a big batch of unused greeting cards very cheaply, various sizes and they make great mailers for small light items.  Card is rigid and the envelope fits like a glove. 

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

The liquor box separators can actually be lighter since there are spaces in them for fitting them together.  They are free and readily available in quantity.  They are also a better size - pantyhose card is usually 5"x9" or 7"x9" and is a bit small for folding T-shirts for Lettermail or Light Packet.  The box dividers come in various weights and dimensions - you'll need to test them to find your favourite brand (wink wink).

Message 8 of 8
latest reply