Are You Using Windows 10?

The reason I'm bringing up a technical question on the Seller's Board is because, over the last while, I've read conflicting reports about the compatibility of Windows 10 and PayPal shipping, among other things.

I didn't realize until recently that Windows 10 was automatically downloaded to our computers, just awaiting our okay to install.  This, of course, takes up valuable space and has caused all sorts of glitches and problems with most of the software I use, which had been problem-free prior to that.  I was able to confirm online, from many articles that I read, that this is a result of the Windows 10 download sitting on our computers.  I found instructions on how to delete it.  It looks a little complex in that you can't just find it in your hidden files and delete.  There are also number of updates to delete and steps to follow to prevent it from re-downloading onto your computer.

I knew I would eventually upgrade but I was reluctant to do so with the increased (hopefully) sales prior to Christmas .... I didn't want to have to deal with a new platform that could potentially cause frustration.

I'd be interested in knowing if most of you are using W-10 and are you experiencing any problems.  Does PayPal shipping work on all browsers?  I use three -- IE, Chrome and Firefox -- in order to keep my selling accounts separate.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Hi Jt! I have not upgraded.

My machines were automagically trying to upgrade (I never said yes but that didn't stop it from trying anyway. One failed on the first day the other (contingency) I didn't turn on until after I had things figured out). Took several days with support folks to get the failed update machine working correctly again.

Since that time I've been manually reviewing all the windows updates (ugghh each month there are about 20 of them!), and there are still the odd ones coming through trying to initiate it or "prepare" my machine for it... sigh.

I don't know if I will on the existing machines, but if I do it won't be for a good while yet.....

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

I've been wanting to ask the same question.  I really need a new computer but am wary about buying one with windows 10 installed until I know that the transition will be fairly painless.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

@jt-libra wrote:

The reason I'm bringing up a technical question on the Seller's Board is because, over the last while, I've read conflicting reports about the compatibility of Windows 10 and PayPal shipping, among other things.

I didn't realize until recently that Windows 10 was automatically downloaded to our computers, just awaiting our okay to install.  This, of course, takes up valuable space and has caused all sorts of glitches and problems with most of the software I use, which had been problem-free prior to that.  I was able to confirm online, from many articles that I read, that this is a result of the Windows 10 download sitting on our computers.  I found instructions on how to delete it.  It looks a little complex in that you can't just find it in your hidden files and delete.  There are also number of updates to delete and steps to follow to prevent it from re-downloading onto your computer.

I knew I would eventually upgrade but I was reluctant to do so with the increased (hopefully) sales prior to Christmas .... I didn't want to have to deal with a new platform that could potentially cause frustration.

I'd be interested in knowing if most of you are using W-10 and are you experiencing any problems.  Does PayPal shipping work on all browsers?  I use three -- IE, Chrome and Firefox -- in order to keep my selling accounts separate.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

I have read in the eBay.com forums that Windows 10 is okay, no major issues. There is a new browser called Edge and it has issues but apparently Internet Explorer is also available and works better.

Of course, eBay.com users use eBay shipping and less PayPal shipping. Their PayPal shipping is different that our Canada Post shipping.

If you use ebay Turbo Lister, there were problems with installing that but eventually it works.

If you have any other software you might have issue with it. Camera,, scanners, printers could be an issue if the drivers are not available for Windows 10. Many should work if they are supported in Windows 7 and 8 but you will need to check if they are supported.

I think if you get a Windows 10 computer and install FireFox and Google Chrome, there should be no problems. That leaves Internet Explorer and what version is on Windows 10. I think the new browser Edge will be a problem for a while.

I do have the browser Opera installed on my Computer along with FireFox, Google Chrome and Internet Explorer (9, I can't go higher on this old Windows Vista PC). Opera is not officially supported by eBay as it has a small user base. I find it is very similar to Google Chrome. You might want to add Opera and see how it works for PayPal shipping. Then you could have it as an alternative to Internet Explorer on Windows 10 in case it has issues.

I have been using Opera for a second eBay account. I have not tried PayPal shipping. I have only 4-5 sales on that account and use it for buying mostly. What I sold I shipped with discount postage stamps.

There was some discussion of Windows 10 in the eBay.com Tools & Apps forum. I will try to find the topics and posts links back here.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

I went to the eBay.com forum Tools & Apps and did a forum search on keywords "windows 10". Here is a link to the results.

http://community.ebay.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=labels%2Clocation&location=categor...

I will read through and see what they say and post back anything interesting.

I do think Windows 10 is okay since I have not see massive complaints in the USA forums about it causing issues. But how many are using Windows 10?

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

I may not be able to get back to this Board for a while but I'll review your responses when I can.

I just got a call that my brother, who arrived in Thailand last weekend, where he spends the winters, just had a massive stroke and is in bad shape in the hospital.  I have to tend to that right now.

Please pray for him.

Thanks.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Praying for you and your family. 

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Thank you.  His name is Dave   We are a very, very small family so this has hit us hard.

Jeanne

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

I was on a different browser and accidentally posted under a new selling account I just opened for books.  When my sister passed away, I inherited a lot of her books and I had some, so I'm learning all about books now.

I'm waiting for people to call me back but it's 4:00 a.m. in Thailand so I'll have to wait a few more hours.

Back to the subject at hand, I have a laptop which I've only used a half-a-dozen times or so (I'm always on my desktop).  I thought I would try out Windows 10 on that one and see how it works out.  Except .... the last time I used it, I decided to install a wireless mouse.  When I shut it down, I forgot to turn the mouse off and the battery ran down.  Now I can't get it up and running.  The battery won't charge and when I removed it, I couldn't even get the laptop to turn on while it was plugged into the wall.

So I'll have to look into that.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

I have been using windows 10 on 3 of my machines with no problems with Ebay, PayPal or Turbo Lister.  So far so good.  I use firefox as my browser.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply