Are my listings not clear?

I get so frustrated because I spend time carefully describing my listings, but I keep getting buyers not understanding them. I had 2 questions from an Australian buyer today about my item 231657054982. She says that she is unsure of what my listing is offering. Is it for a pattern? Which of the dresses in my description is it for? Is the cost for one of the dress pattern described or all of them?

I thought it was clear, but obviously not. Anyone have any idea how I can make these clearer?

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

I looked at that listing. It isn't you. I don't know anything about patterns to make dresses.

To me, it is blatantly obvious, without reading the description, that this is a pattern that makes all of the dresses pictured. To me, it is obvious, that I would buy the pattern, decide which dress to make, and buy the appropriate materials.

That is without reading the description.

I would make all five, but I don't have the shoes, but, ahem, that is another discussion.

Photobucket
Message 2 of 31
latest reply

Sometimes viewers simply cant be bothered to read the whole description.  Your listing is quite long, maybe try to streamline a little.  You can also add answers to questions to the listing, so others can see them.  Hopefully you won't get repeat questions.

Message 3 of 31
latest reply

@pinetreecottage wrote:

Sometimes viewers simply cant be bothered to read the whole description.  Your listing is quite long, maybe try to streamline a little.  You can also add answers to questions to the listing, so others can see them.  Hopefully you won't get repeat questions.

That is all very true Pine, however, 65% of all buyers do not read the description. That has always been that way.

I look at the listing as if it was on a mobile device and I was looking at pictures and title. Listings can only be dumbed down so far.

Photobucket
Message 4 of 31
latest reply

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking of adding to the description, I guess that is not a good idea. This is not a new buyer, about 170 feedbacks. I will try scaling down a bit, but I do want to get all the details in.

Message 5 of 31
latest reply

I agree that by looking at the title it seems clear what the listing is for.

This is just a guess but I wonder if the problem was in the description. You list the various dresses in the pattern and right below that you mention combined shipping. Perhaps the buyer thought that the reference to combined shipping was there in case they wanted more than one of the options listed??   I realize that's not what you meant but perhaps that was what confused them.

Message 6 of 31
latest reply

I took a look at that listing, and Holy Cow!  I think someone would have to be completely clueless not to notice the word "PATTERN" in the title.  

The other thing is that anybody -- and I mean anybody, even beginners -- who sews, understands what a sewing PATTERN (LOL) is, and that different options are usually offered in one pattern. 

FWIW, I wouldn't change anything in the description.  It's just fine.  What you could do is squeeze a few more catchwords into your Item Specifics.  That's what I do if I think there might be any misunderstanding at all.  For example, include the words "sewing pattern for 5 dress options as shown on photo" or something to that effect.

BTW, you might want to fit the word "sewing" in the title somewhere for every pattern if you can, just for situations like this.  I see many of your listings do, but not this particular one.  

All I can say is that it's really not you!   Maybe your buyer is a youngster who has not yet ever purchased a commercial pattern?  That might explain the weird questions. 

Message 7 of 31
latest reply

I looked your listings - gorgeous items!  Smiley Very Happy

May be to add another "photo" to all or selected items with text like "PLEASE REFER TO DESCRIPTION FOR MORE DETAILED INFORMATION ON THE ITEM".  May be some (or all) reviewers will do it then?

Message 8 of 31
latest reply

Thanks for the suggestions. Rose-dee I do put "sewing" in most of my titles, sometimes it's hard to get everything in. One thing I really miss now is not being able to see what buyers have purchased in the past. Sometimes when a buyer thinks they are purchasing the actual item (not the case in this instance) I used to look and see if they usually purchase patterns or actual items, and then asked if they realized that they had purchased a pattern, caught a few mistakes that way. Also, now having 1 day shipping doesn't give time for the buyer to see that when I thank them for purchasing my sewing pattern, knitting pattern, book etc, and realize that they made a mistake.

Block36: I am not sure what other picture I could add, apart from the back of the envelope which just is mostly a repeat of what I have written out.

Message 9 of 31
latest reply

@triber wrote:

One thing I really miss now is not being able to see what buyers have purchased in the past. 

Yes, I absolutely agree.  That was a very useful feature for sellers.  I used to use it when I had an offer on an item and wanted to check to see the sort of items the buyer had purchased previously, and in what category(ies).  That often assisted me in making counter-offers.  

I've also always maintained that the ability to see items buyers purchased previously helped to cross-promote listings throughout eBay.  Alas, no more.  

More surprises will no doubt be in store with respect to the FB system in a couple of weeks.  Can't wait.  Woman LOL

Message 10 of 31
latest reply

Hi Tribe!

My opinion:

1. I have somewhat clear evidence that a good portion of buyers (maybe phone buyers) only read the description and look at the first picture. One cannot count on buyers reading the description.

2. No matter how clear you are in the description, given enough people reading it, one will still get the odd question about something very clear in the description.*

*I saw an article where the author purposefully asked sellers questions that were clear in the description. If the seller responded politely and positively, they knew it was safe to buy the item. If the seller was a knob, or didn't answer, that was a warning sign and they did not buy from the seller.

Message 11 of 31
latest reply

PS from personal experience, I only start messing with my titles/descriptions when I have multiple misunderstandings/questions for the same title/wording.
Message 12 of 31
latest reply

Let's start with: Half the population is below the average IQ of 100.

Just answer the question politely and move on. Actually, no, report back here so we can all have a giggle.

I've had clerks in the thrift store ask what the patterns I was buying were, and still look baffled at the concept of making your own clothing.

Excuse me I've got to go shoo those **bleep** kids off my lawn. heart

Message 13 of 31
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Excuse me I've got to go shoo those **bleep** kids off my lawn.

You still have a lawn (i.e. green grass) out there?  

Message 14 of 31
latest reply

Yes, I did that femmefan. I was tempted to say that it was all in the description, but I just went over it all for her.

Message 15 of 31
latest reply

block36 wrote:

"May be to add another "photo" to all or selected items with text like "PLEASE REFER TO DESCRIPTION FOR MORE DETAILED INFORMATION ON THE ITEM"."

This is a great idea.

Message 16 of 31
latest reply

I have seen this (a picture saying to check description) used in my domain (stamps).

I have never tried it myself, anyone experimented with it and seen results???
Message 17 of 31
latest reply

eBay picture policy is no text in pictures. So what is proposed would not be allowed. What ebay would do to enforce this, I do not know. Any new listings might not upload the picture. For existing GTC listings with text in photos, they are allowed until they end or are revised.

ebay.com USA

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/pictures.html#standards

http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/how-to-take-product-photos/ebay-photo-requirements.html

ebay.ca Canada

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/pictures.html#standards

http://pages.ebay.ca/sellerinformation/how-to-take-product-photos/ebay-photo-requirements.html

Message 18 of 31
latest reply

I think the wording of the title could be reorganised by moving the redundant search words to the end and use the upper case that describes the actual item being sold... in this case i would understand something like this...

McCalls 5in1 WOMANS DRESS PATTERNS 80's Bubble Puff Size 8...... etc etc untill all the spaces are used

"vintage"  "sewing" and "pattern" are heavily used keywords in your category. I notice quite many listing titles in the category that start with keywords "Vintage Sewing Pattern". If you place those words at the end of the title, the search engine will see them, however when the listing comes up in the search results the exact info is right in front of the buyer, and a quick look at the pic clarifies it even more. Your description will do the rest. That part I can't offer much help because it is a very category sensitive issue. In my market less is more.

similar in listing #231634921089.. "Knitting PATTERNS Babies Christening Dresses Shetland Shawl Jackets Sweaters" 

22in1 BABY'S CHRISTENING DRESSES BOOK of KNITTING PATTERNS Shawls Jackets Dresses....

This one #371397379457  instead of "Contessa Smocking Sewing PATTERN Womans Pleated Skirt #465 Hip 32-50" 

CONTESSA 19 sizes in1 WOMANS PLEATED SKIRT SMOCKING sewing patterns..etc etc till all spaces used.

Too many buyers are searching with smartphones these days and the results often show only half the title and a pic.......

In a sea of "Vintage Sewing Patterns....Antique Sewing Patterns....PATTERNS PATTERNS PATTERNS your title should stand out and give more exact info and generate fewer questions and hopefully more sales.

Message 19 of 31
latest reply

Better to answer a question before a buyer purchases something and is then disappointed and wants to return item with all the hassle that a return entails. Spend a minute to save hours of  aggravation.

Message 20 of 31
latest reply