Are you allowed to sell imei blacklisted phone ?

I bought a phone form a local,  after I got home I checked the imei number, and it shows up as "reported as lost or stolen .  Needless to say I can't contact the seller.

So, are you allowed to resell a blacklisted phone on ebay if you fully disclose it?

Is there a way to return it to the original owner?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Not a good idea as you do not have ownership.  No matter what you try and do, the first finger of accusation will be pointed at you.

Either toss it or break it down into parts. Pats are probably worth this side of nothing.

Photobucket
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

This problem has little to do with eBay.

In Canada it is a criminal infraction to hold or sell goods known to have been stolen.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Canadian_Criminal_Law/Offences/Possession_of_Stolen_Property

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

The first thing to do, is find out if it's lost or stolen. Big difference. There are a ton of phones on eBay with bad imei. Doesn't mean they are stolen. I would call the service provider and find out.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

I did call them  and they said they can't tell why a phone would be added to the blacklist; whether it was stolen or lost. 

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

I don't see anything that says you can't. I see 746 results for BAD IMEI.

I did see this on a ebay uk page "It's a criminal offence to sell a stolen mobile phone or to have the handset / SIM card un-blocked without authorisation from the phone manufacturer. Such listings will be removed from the site as they are in breach of our policy on Encouraging Illegal Activity."

I would approach it cautiously, Read eBay's policies carefully and check out what other sellers are including in listings, and check those sellers feedback. It might not be worth selling it on here. You might have better luck over on kijiji.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@the-great-ones wrote:

I did call them  and they said they can't tell why a phone would be added to the blacklist; whether it was stolen or lost. 

Of course they won't tell you, it is not your phone. Not to them it is not.

Photobucket
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@the-great-ones wrote:

I bought a phone form a local,  after I got home I checked the imei number, and it shows up as "reported as lost or stolen .  Needless to say I can't contact the seller.

So, are you allowed to resell a blacklisted phone on ebay if you fully disclose it?

Is there a way to return it to the original owner?

You bought it off a "local"?  I take it wasn't a store but some stranger selling on the street.  They are usually "hot" items and the phone 

imei number proves it.  Do you not know its against the law to sell or buy an item that has been stolen?  Unless you are looking for free room and board for the winter, I would suggest you bite the bullet and take the loss.  Less said, the better.  The suggestion that you take it apart was the best advice you got.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

I did call them  and they said

Who are 'they'?

I can't stand naked pronouns.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Free room & board for the winter sounds good,

Message 10 of 10
latest reply