Be Careful with eBay's "Top tips for selling your items on eBay" e-mail!

I hadn't received one of these e-mails for a while.  I thought it couldn't hurt to see the suggestions, so I clicked on:

• Go to Seller Hub Growth to update: 23 listings

The first listing was for an item priced at $25 USD.  I then clicked on the Match Price drop down menu, naively thinking I would simply see what other sellers were charging for the same item.  I saw a brief note that the lowest price found was $14.28 and, whoosh, my first of 23 listings disappeared in a blink of an eye.  I then checked my Active Listings and saw that the price had indeed been changed to $14.28 (an item that retails for $55 CAD, boxed and sealed and fresh).  I quickly changed it back of course.

It really ticked me off -- a suggestion is fine but don't go taking the decision out of my hands entirely.  Does eBay think that sellers have not done price comparisons before listing?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

I figure that the Tips were probably written :

• in 2002
  • by someone who does not sell on eBay
  • by someone who has never taken a marketing course
  • by someone who has never worked retail

and delete the email each time it shows up.

But I am old and cynical.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

This is my favourite under the growth category (in the seller hub on .COM) for a couple of my items:

"Chance of sale:"    "100% less than competitors"

There is no recommended price (because nobody else sells the same thing), and there are no recommendations except to revise it.

Now in fairness it has been running for 4 years and only has 438 views (it is a relatively specialized thing)....so I can see why it was targeted...

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

I figure that the Tips were probably written :

• in 2002
  • by someone who does not sell on eBay
  • by someone who has never taken a marketing course
  • by someone who has never worked retail

and delete the email each time it shows up.

But I am old and cynical.

You're just cynical ...

The "advice" is more modern than 2002 (which used to be list as an auction starting at a penny).

No someone involved, just an eBay robot imitating the robots on the A-river.

Mostly useless price recommendations, but it is valuable (to me) to see which of my listings got flagged -- some of my older items tend to get neglected over time and this is one way to apply TLC.

-..-

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

I would assume that the 'Match Price' command would be as immediate as 'Send to online auction' is in the Selling Manager. Thank you for flagging it for the rest of us that haven't seen the Seller Hub yet. I can look at it on dotcom but it shows me nothing useful because all my listings are created on dotca. 

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

@ricarmic wrote:

This is my favourite under the growth category (in the seller hub on .COM) for a couple of my items:

"Chance of sale:"    "100% less than competitors"

There is no recommended price (because nobody else sells the same thing), and there are no recommendations except to revise it.

Now in fairness it has been running for 4 years and only has 438 views (it is a relatively specialized thing)....so I can see why it was targeted...

Yes, that's the other thing.  Many of my 23 listings showed, as you said"

Chance of sale    "100% less than competitors"

Some were selections of Items I had grouped together and offered in one listing; others I know for a fact are rarely seen on eBay - yet the click through rate, the impression rate, etc. were all much higher than mine.

For sure, this type of e-mail will be deleted in future since they provide no useful information.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

I would assume that the 'Match Price' command would be as immediate as 'Send to online auction' is in the Selling Manager. Thank you for flagging it for the rest of us that haven't seen the Seller Hub yet. I can look at it on dotcom but it shows me nothing useful because all my listings are created on dotca. 

It seems that way.  They should, in that case, get ride of the Match Price drop down menu as if we had some options.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Well, I could see it having some use. If, for example, I needed to liquidate everything that I had fast with no thought to making profit or even breaking even, Match Price might be useful. But I don't price myself against other sellers on ebay and never have because I do what other sellers don't in terms of service. It sounds arrogant, and maybe it is. I can't tell, I'm grouchy today. 

Message 8 of 8
latest reply