Best method to ship video game using Canada Post?

When selling oldschool nintendo games, Canada post keeps claiming my envelopes (even non-bubble padded ones ) cannot be sent by small packet or with stamps because they are too thick in height "for the slot".  The slot meaning this plexi-glass cutout of a mailslot/evelope sizer they have behind the desk.  I tried two locations and both force me to ship expedited when I ask for them to calculate the cheapest method.  (24x16x2.5cm)

How are Canadian sellers shipping video games without resorting to Expedited parcel post?  I have ordered plenty where they only pay $3.  Especially from Quebec.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Best method to ship video game using Canada Post?

tobyshitzu
Community Member

They put stamps on themself, drop them in a red mail box and hope for the best knowing it will almost always be fine.  Worst case something comes back and has to be mailed again

What your outlets are saying is correct that the rule is they have to fit through a 2cm slot to go letter.    

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

tobyshitzu
Community Member

They put stamps on themself, drop them in a red mail box and hope for the best knowing it will almost always be fine.  Worst case something comes back and has to be mailed again

What your outlets are saying is correct that the rule is they have to fit through a 2cm slot to go letter.    

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

I'm not a gamer and I don't actually know what videogames look like.

But I ship DVDs in their case inside a poly envelope without bubbles and meet the 2cm standard easily.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

@eclaritysolutions wrote:

When selling oldschool nintendo games, Canada post keeps claiming my envelopes (even non-bubble padded ones ) cannot be sent by small packet or with stamps because they are too thick in height "for the slot".  The slot meaning this plexi-glass cutout of a mailslot/evelope sizer they have behind the desk.  I tried two locations and both force me to ship expedited when I ask for them to calculate the cheapest method.  (24x16x2.5cm)

Small packet does not exist for Canada. You can use Small Packet to ship to outside Canada since there is no thickness limitation.

USA
000-250g ..   8.61 Small Packet (Air)
301-500g .. 11.29 Small Packet (Air)

Rest of the World

For Small Packet (air) the world is divided into 10 rate zones (the UK zone 2 rate is shown).
000-250g .. 10.27 . Small packet (air)
251-500g .. 19.75 . Small packet (air)

Canada

Once you exceed 2cm thickness you're looking the big jump to parcel rates from lettermail. Parcels are tracked, and expedited parcel also includes insurance and a delivery time guarantee (or shipping refunded) in the price.

-,,-

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

But I ship DVDs in their case inside a poly envelope without bubbles and meet the 2cm standard easily.

The standard dvd case is 14mm thick. I ship those in a size 0 kraft paper bubble envelope and it fits under the 2cm limit.

-..-

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

@reallynicestamps wrote:

The standard dvd case is 14mm thick. I ship those in a size 0 kraft paper bubble envelope and it fits under the 2cm limit.

-..-

I ship Cassette tapes via Lettermail, they are thicker than a standard dvd case (16mm) so I need to crush the bubbles on one side of a bubble envelope so that it will "fit" the slot.

The "fit" is tight, does not pass the "fall through by gravity alone" test so I put them in the mail box to avoid any finicky clerks....hundreds shipped.....no issues.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 6 of 12
latest reply

It has to fit easily through a 2-cm deep slot, period. If it does, you pay for stamps and it's sent via Oversize Letterman. No tracking. 

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

The old cartridges op has can be 2cm before any packaging.  Tons of them mailed letter anyway.   Not meating the wieght would be a problem, the thickness isnt.  People are sending things quite a bit thicker as letter with little to no problem as long as its self stamped

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

I wouldn't take the chance of sending anything thicker than 2-cm as domestic oversized lettermail without tracking. It seems to me like asking for trouble. Best case scenario is that it's delivered as it should be but your buyer can still open an INR. Worst case it gets kicked back due to insufficient postage and the seller gets an INR.
Message 9 of 12
latest reply

benjzh_20
Community Member
Canada Post
Message 10 of 12
latest reply

ZOMBIE THREAD from 2017

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the length of time that has passed since this thread began I have locked it from future replies. If this is still an issue that warrants discussion, don't hesitate to begin a new thread!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 12 of 12
latest reply