Buyer can't checkout "This item doesn't ship to your location"

I had a buyer win five auctions from me.  I am located in Canada, he is in the US.  I included shipping to the US as an option in the auctions.  All five auctions were created with the same template.

Now that he is trying to checkout he is getting a message the one of the items doesn't ship to his location and that he must remove it to continue.  That is not the case.  How do I resolve this?  Many thanks.

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

What is the listing number of the item not working?

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

Send him a Paypal invoice with all the items and the adjusted shipping fee.

Put the eBay transaction numbers in the Text box.

Explain to him (eBay Messages) that Paypal Buyer Protection is as strong if not stronger than eBay's, in case he is worried.

When he pays, mark all his items Paid and Shipped.

Ship.

Sometimes you have to forget there is a box at all.

As long as you mark the paid and shipped items Paid and Shipped , eBay will be able to process your FVF, which is their main concern with 'off-eBay" transactions.

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

Listing number is 231831870352.  Thanks.

Message 4 of 26
latest reply

I'll propose that as a solution to him.  We've been in contact several times and I don't think that will be an issue.

Is it possible there's a glitch in the eBay app?  He's trying to checkout on his phone (not sure if it's Apple or Android) and the first time I've had someone use their phone this happens.  I've sold many items to American buyers and this has never happened before.

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

This happens to me every time someone from the US purchases something. It says "item does not ship to you, the seller will not ship to your primary shipping address." Once I send an invoice and update the shipping information they can pay, but until then they cannot. This does not do that for international sales though just US so that is very strange and annoying. I have lost a few sales because of this.

Message 6 of 26
latest reply

@ryan.oneill wrote:

This happens to me every time someone from the US purchases something. It says "item does not ship to you, the seller will not ship to your primary shipping address." Once I send an invoice and update the shipping information they can pay, but until then they cannot. This does not do that for international sales though just US so that is very strange and annoying. I have lost a few sales because of this.

Looking at your listings you don't have rates setup for the US properly. From the looks of it you haven't setup a service or rate.

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

That listing does have shipping to the U.S. so it could be an app glitch.

The Paypal invoice might work the best because if he is shopping on .com, he will have to pay for each one separately and will likely over pay on shipping. Or, you can ask him to sign into .ca and see if each item can be put into the cart on .ca.

Message 8 of 26
latest reply

@dvcnerfherder wrote:

I'll propose that as a solution to him.  We've been in contact several times and I don't think that will be an issue.

Is it possible there's a glitch in the eBay app?  He's trying to checkout on his phone (not sure if it's Apple or Android) and the first time I've had someone use their phone this happens.  I've sold many items to American buyers and this has never happened before.

Have him access the site through a browser rather than the app, then on the ebay homepage have him scroll down to the bottom of the page and click the classic site link. This will force the non-mobile version of the site to load and eliminate any possible issues related tot the mobile site coding.

Is he trying to check out using a combined invoice you sent from your awaiting payment screen? If so you can try uncombining items, then recombining and sending the invoice.

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

@ryan.oneill wrote:

As the other poster mentioned, your listings are not showing a shipping cost to the U.S. so that would be why they can't check out. If you are using calculated shipping and expedited parcel USA, the dimensions you are entering might be too small for the dimensions that Canada Post allows for that service.

Dimensions for expedited and regular parcel in  Canada -10cm x 7cm x 1 mm   

Dimensions for expedited USA - 21 x 14 x 0.5 CM

Have you thought about using lettermail with Canada and light packet to other locations for your comics or other items less than 2cm thick? Or small packet air for other items? It would be less expensive although perhaps you have had a problem in that particular category with inr claims.

Your adult item does show a shipping cost to the US but unless you are actually going to the U.S. to mail it, you should not be saying that you will be using USPS. You can list a flat rate price and use 'standard shipping from outside of the U.S.'

Are you really using UPS for that item within Canada?

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

Also shipping overseas with surface can cause a lot of problems as many buyers will file a claim long before the item reaches them.

Message 11 of 26
latest reply

All of my auctions were set up using the same template but only one was causing the error.  This indicates (to me, anyway) that the fault lies not with how the shipping options were set up.  I spent 30 minutes this morning talking to eBay's phone support.  Turns out the problem was something on their end.  At the agent's suggestion I resent the invoice to my buyer and this time he was able to checkout.  I have my payment and he will soon have his items.

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

I don't have anything set up for international either and that goes through just fine before I send a paypal invoice so why is US different then that? The Jenny McCarthy vhs was flagged earlier and I had to put it in the adult section. .ca doesn't have that category so that is the one item I listed through .com instead and manually entered the shipping price.

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

@ryan.oneill Congratulations of reaching feedback 1,000 !!!!

Message 14 of 26
latest reply

@ryan.oneill wrote:

I don't have anything set up for international either and that goes through just fine before I send a paypal invoice so why is US different then that? The Jenny McCarthy vhs was flagged earlier and I had to put it in the adult section. .ca doesn't have that category so that is the one item I listed through .com instead and manually entered the shipping price.

Have another look through your listings. For example item #191796293636 you have a shipping option setup for the UK, but nothing for the US. You seem to be defaulting to using Canada Post International Parcel - Surface, which off the top off of my head I would guess is not a valid option for the US.

You should have a look into the tracked packet requirements for dimensions and space, and see which of your listings it would be applicable for. Likewise you might consider light and small packet options for your lower cost merchandise, opting for third party insurance in lieu of tracking. In general I'd recommend spending some time researching into rates (if you look at the Canada Post pricing pdfs on their website they go through dimensions and weights very clearly) as messages like this the below are very offputting to buyers. With a little of work you should be able to increase your rate of sell through.

PLEASE IGNORE SHIPPING CALCULATION AS I WILL OBTAIN AN EXACT QUOTE FROM THE POST OFFICE AFTER PURCHASE

Message 15 of 26
latest reply

@ryan.oneill wrote:

The majority of your listings do have an international shipping cost for some countries although it is super expensive... around $45 - $65.  You definitely lose sales when your shipping is too high and/or when the cost is missing because many buyers are not going to want to pay that much. Even if they happen to read that 'ignore shipping calculator" statement in the listing, many are not going to be willing to buy without knowing what the exact shipping cost is. Plus, many buyers do not read all or any of the info in the description area and others may not even open the listing when they see a high shipping cost.
himacdon could be correct that the problem with the U.S. shipping is that you are trying to calculate the cost using ground international and there is no option to the U.S.  Or, as I mentioned earlier, it could be a minimum measurement problem.
I understand why you listed the one item on .com but you still should not be showing USPS and UPS in your shipping area unless you are actually going to use those services.
Message 16 of 26
latest reply

When I go to the shipping details there is option for domestic and international but there is no option to put for US. Where would that be hiding?

Message 17 of 26
latest reply

@ryan.oneill wrote:

When I go to the shipping details there is option for domestic and international but there is no option to put for US. Where would that be hiding?

Have a look at the "ship to" field, by choosing Choose custom location rather than worldwide you'll have a series of checkboxes for countries appear below. Check United States then enter your desired service. You could set one rate for the US with a particular service, then click on the offer additional service and add another option for other international locations. Whatever you set for the US specifically would override the worldwide option in the event of a potential conflict.

Message 18 of 26
latest reply

U.S. is an international option but you have to use the advanced listing form in order to have 1 option for the U.S. and another option(s) for other countries. When you are on the sell your item form, check on the top right corner and if you are on the quick form, it will give you a link to go to the advanced form.

Keep in mind that if you are shipping internationally and using calculated shipping, you must specify the correct service for that country so for example you could use small packet air USA to the USA and small packet air international for other countries. If you are using a more expensive service such as tracked packet international, that service is only available in some countries.

Message 19 of 26
latest reply

Thanks for the help. I figured it out last night just after I posted my message. Years on here and I just find it now. Stupid that it can only be found by pulling down links. Now I have 1,000 listings to revise once we get a promotion which hasn't happened since December. Doh!!

Message 20 of 26
latest reply