Buyer claiming item not received minutes after tracking shows delivered

Hey guys!

I am almost 100% sure I have a buyer trying to scam me for a 250$ item.

I have a tracking number that shows the item was delivered to the buyer.

Here is the entire conversation I had with him since he bought the item :

Buyer:

Me:

Hi!

Sure, 2005011018128661 (Canada Post).

If there's anything else, let me know! 🙂

Have a great evening,
Audrey-Ann

Buyer: (around 7h45 pm - 15 minutes after item delivery according to the tracking number)

Me:

Hi,

I'm really sorry. I should have explained this to you when I gave you the tracking number to avoid any confusion.

My items are shipping from a fulfilment center located in Ontario Missisauga.

Pretty much all my inventory is stored there and there are people shipping items I sell to buyers.

It appears the item has just been delivered to your community mailbox or parcel locker :

2015/03/04 19:30 RICHMOND HILL Item successfully delivered to community mailbox or parcel locker.

Once again, I appologise for not pointing this out in my previous communication.I have added the tracking number to the eBay transaction as per your request.

Have a wonderful evening, 🙂
Audrey-Ann

Buyer:

Me: This message is mostly an attempt to discourage him go any further if he's lying... I never had this happened to me before and don't know what I will do if he insists

Hi!

No worries.
It cannot have disappeared so I'm pretty sure the carrier will have it delivered to you or in your mail box tomorrow.

Otherwise, I will contact the police and have them investigate the issue. They will most likely contact you to get your testimony and ask you who could have had access the your mail box (i.e. who else than you has a key) etc. etc.
I will also contact Canada Post who will question the delivery guy who is supposed to have delivered the package to you.
From experience, he will most likely schedule a meeting with you to verify that he did leave the package at the right mail box and discuss what may have happened.

I have had this occured about 10 times and everytime either the police or Canada Post found out what happened. So don't worry, I'm confident you will end up with the Kobo very soon.

By the way, when exactly did you go check your mail?

Have a great evening,
Audrey-Ann

Buyer: (seems like he's going to hold on his story)

So... I don't know if I'm victim of the paranoid seller syndrom but I'm pretty sure this guy's full of ****. PayPal shows I'm protected and I've got the tracking number that shows the item was delivered to his mailbox.

Do you guys think his claim is legit? Also, can anyone provide any advice on what I should do from now? Should I contact eBay / PayPal? The Post Office? The police?

I wanted to give it one more day before doing anything in case he finally "receives" the item (I suppose not to likely at this point).

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

We would not worry about it. The tracking number shows delivery and it is only a $130 CDN item. Ebay will not side with this buyer. My guess is that maybe the key for the parcel locker was overlooked or fell out when he took his mail out and they key is in the snow now.

Did you buy the label through paypal?

You do not need to contact anyone about this.

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Hi!

Thanks for the reply!

I hope you are right but the buyer said he received another Kobo (right...). So (if he's not lying) he probably already went in the parcel locker.

I didn't use PayPal to pay for the label. I paid my warehouse / fulfilment center who then shipped my item to the buyer.

What should I tell him if he contacts me again today saying he still hasn't received anything?

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

Don't let this guy bother you. Your only response to him should be polite and stating that the tracking shows delivery and there is nothing you can do otherwise.

Don't let him bully you into anything. If he files a claim you have the tracking number and his claim will go nowhere.

Did you enter the tracking on ebay when the item was shipped? Should not make a difference anyways. If you did not then you still can and I suggest you add it right now. And in the future you should add the tracking numbers asap after shipping so buyers don't get antsy about not having it.  It is so nice to have a clickable tracking number on the my ebay selling page and on the buyers my ebay buying page. Canada post is refered to CPC when you are adding it.

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

Sounds like you are drop shipping. You may have future issues with this. Are the shippers buying the extra insurance? Expedited parcel only comes with $100 CDN insurance, any more will have to be bought before shipping for a few bucks per $100 extra coverage. What if something gets crushed or really goes missing next time? Are you covered for the full amounts?

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

I had a package lost to a "community" mailbox last month. I contacted Canada post and after they investigated they provided me a refund (value was just under $100). That process took a couple weeks though. The buyer was good and was ok with me sending replacement stuff, didn't open a case or anything so no defects either! (I sent the replacement with signature required, forcing the in person aspect)

I would be interested to know if PAYPAL/eBay consider "delivered to community mailbox" to be actually delivered? Has anyone won a case with something delivered to the community mailbox?
Message 6 of 19
latest reply

When Canada Post tracking says delivered to a community mailbox  the parcel is considered delivered.

Paypal looks at the tracking and closes the claim without a refund

If buyer does not get this parcel  then it becomes a Canada Post insurance claim.

Had this happen about two years ago...  Buyer was livid... filing  with Paypal was a no-go... 

When it is something quite valuable....  Signature becomes a part of the delivery process....

Community mailboxes work... but there can be a problem, and if necessary... signature becomes a part of the cost of postage....

This is the future of community mailboxes  and shipping valuable items..

Signature is added to Expedited in Canada... Unfortunately the  cost to the US increases to Xpresspost  with a signature option.

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

Thanks guys!

I understand why you may think I'm drop-shipping but it's not the case. I "own" my inventory but it's just not stored locally.

I have already entered the tracking number in eBay after the buyer requested it.

So, unless someone advice otherwise, I will wait for the buyer to confirm that he still hasn't received the item, and then, I will inform him that considering the tracking shows the item has been delivered, I won't be able to help him any further.

The buyer may then fill a claim and when (if) he does, I provide the tracking number and mention the item was delivered.

Does this plan of action protects me from a refund request?

I'm a power-seller and have 100% positive feedback... Do you think it will increase the odds of eBay siding with me?

Thanks!

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

eBay could be a different story....  but should not be....

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

If the parcel is not delivered... then it is the seller's responsibility to file a claim with Canada Post... 

The seller  who mailed the parcel  makes the insurance claim.

The claim will be resolved quickly if tracking shows ... delivered.....

If the parcel is lost in the system there is a waiting period before an insurance claim can be made with Canada Post

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

Unfortunately, the comments from the buyer have been erased from your post (violation of policy).

In any case, I seem to recall a comment from the buyer that he had received a similar item but from a different seller.  Is it possible that the tracking is correct, the item was duly delivered but the name and shipping address on the parcel was that of your supplier in Mississauga, not your name and address - creating confusion for the buyer?

It may be best to simply pick up the phone and talk to the buyer.

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

Yeah, a mod decided to delete all of the buyer's messages... I understand why but it would have been nice to at least indicate something like "buyer message removed" to make the post more comprehensible...

Anyways.

I would most certainly call the buyer over the phone but I can't actually "speak" english. I can type it OK but it's pretty terrible when I try to speak it.

Also, the buyer seems arab or asian judging from his name in the PayPal transaction and doesn't seem to master the language either... at all.

That phone call would probably be... hilarious I guess. 😛

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

When the buyer contacted you did he open a request asking for a tracking number....if not, which topic did he use to message you?

Often when a request it means that a case is opened and a defect is given. If there is a case opened or if one is opened in the future you can phone ebay and show them that the item does show as being delivered and ask them to close the case while you are on the phone. That way, you won't get a defect. If it is closed any other way than by ebay closing it and finding in your favour, you get a defect.

You can help the buyer of course but unfortunately you also have to worry about your account in a situation like this.

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

No pjcdn2005, the buyer sent me a standard message without starting a claim but thanks for pointing it out.

The buyer just sent me the following message (mod I altered the message so please DO NOT DELETE) :

Hi. I checked my mail box but nothing in there.
you better to talk with post office or police etc.
also check my mailing address.
if you send me a item... and it is really delivered then that's really really strange and big problem.
cause I do not get the item.

Should I simply reply that since the tracking confirms that the item was delivered, there's nothing I can do for him.

Just not to sound too impolite I may throw in some advice such as call your carrier, ask your neighbors and family members if they accepted a package for you but forgot to give it to you.

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

I would suggest that the buyer  talk to the postmaster at his post office so that they can look into it at their end. It's possible that it was put in the wrong box or that it was scanned delivered by mistake...it seems common that an item is delivered a day or two later after being scanned.

I probably wouldn't mention at this point that there is nothing that you can do to help him but do suggest that he do the things that you mentioned...ask a neighbour etc. Although you can of course ask Canada Post to look into it there is so much more that he can do at his end.

Message 15 of 19
latest reply

You should open a case with Canada Post:

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/personal/support/helpcentre/tracking/successful_scan_dispute.jsf

Email your buyer with the case number and keep him updated with the progress (send copies of Canada Post responses).   You are not obligated to refund, but you should make some effort to track this - only the seller can open a case with CP. 

If the buyer opens a case with eBay they will likely refund him as a courtesy - no fault or cost to you.

Message 16 of 19
latest reply

If the buyer leaves a negative feedback, will I be able to have it removed by eBay?

Sry if I sound like I care more about myself than my buyer but... I DO cause at this point I'm 100% sure he's an impolite lying sack

I will do the absolute minimum that I can without risking my 100% positive feedback.

Message 17 of 19
latest reply

If there was a case opened by buyer and it was closed on your favor, the negative feedback will be removed.

If buyer just left negative feedback without open a case there is no way the negative feedback will be removed unless it violated feedback policy.

In this case, can we consider to encourage buyer to make official complain (open INR case)?

Message 18 of 19
latest reply

Your buyer is in Toronto, so this is not directly related.

There was a story in the Globe this morning about mail robberies in Montreal.

A pair of crooks will mug  or pickpocket (not clear from the story) a mail carrier and steal the keys to community mailboxes.

Then they empty the boxes of packages and/or valuable paperwork.

This has happened a few times this year, and the story mentions similar robberies a couple of years ago in the same city.

Message 19 of 19
latest reply