Buyer left for holidays after I shipped item

ca_cunn
Community Member

Shipping question...Sold an item to a buyer in the USA, Shipped next day.  On July 26 2014 I checked the tracking number and found "recipient has been carded' which I assume is a delivery notice was left.  Today I get a message from the buyer saying he is away on vacation until August 9th, 2014.  I doubt any postal service will hold his package that long and am wondering if it is returned to me am I on the hook to pay the postage to send it back to him?  It was $35.00!  Many thanks

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Hi, the post office will hold the item for 10 days in Canada. What is the USA 's time limit Im not sure. As far as you being on the hook for re-sending the item, no.

That being said, the buyer can open a claim stating the item did not arrive. Even though you did nothing wrong, the fact remains that the buyer did not recieve the item and the tracking will show that the item was returned to you. In cases like this the buyer will be refunded. Not Fair? This is EBAY.

P.S that will include the shipping charges. Unfortunately that means you will be out $35.

Hopefully the buyer will be understanding and admit his error and repay for shipping and all will be fine.

Good Luck

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

My PO would anything for any amount of time. All I had to do was tell them.

Photobucket
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Just a clarification of my situation. When we ship to the USA we are given two options should an item go unclaimed: 1. Abandon item 2. Return item at my expense. What I see as the upshot of all of this is the item being sent back, my having to pay the $35.00 for that priveledge and then expect the customer to reimburse me for not only the original shipping, and the return shipping, and the shipping to send it to him one more time. That's $105.00 in shipping on a sixty five dollar item. Not very likely to happen is it? Another fine mess created by someone else but falling on me to pay for! I followed all the rules to a 'T', the buyer didn't and now the best case scenario at the moment is for me to get my item back (if I am VERY lucky) and be ecstatic that I am only out $70.00 for round fare shipping! How is it we have to pay for the right to sell stuff here yet we are left out to dry EVERY time there is an issue?
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Get on the phone with the usps post office where the item is and ask them to hold it until the holiday is over. I have called them before and had good results. Google is your friend.
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

For $105.00 I will try almost anything to prevent this from going bad! Many thanks for the constructive idea.
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

I have had a few parcels returned and haven't had to pay return postage. I don't know if that is the norm.I know that when I've used a courier I've had to check off whether or not I wanted the package returned in case of non delivery but I've never noticed the option when sending through the post office.

You are definitely not expected to pay postage to send the item back to your buyer.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply