Buyer not available at time of delivery

Hey Guys, 

I sent a package out to QC a couple of a days ago via Expedited Parcel, buyer was not home at the time so Canada Post left a notice card on where it could be picked up.

Buyer still has not picked it up and has 10 days to do so or it will be send back to me, the sender. 

IF the buyer does not pick it up and gets sent back to me, do I give them a full refund plus shipping refund?

Do I have to pay return postage?

I wouldn't mind offering the refund but if I have to offer the shipping refund, I'd consider find that unfair.

Thanks!:)

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Send the buyer a polite message saying that Canada post tracking shows their item is ready for pickup at their local postal outlet.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

I have done that and did not get a reply, yet.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

If your buyer lives in a remote area the post office may not be near and maybe they only pick up they mail once a week.

Our post office is almost 50km away and we only go there once a week. We use the pick up feature offered by Canada Post to ship our parcels out.

So give them a few days. The parcel will not be returned for awhile yet. The buyer will receive a second and then a third notice before the package is sent back.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Ten days? Not likely. My PO would hold my stuff for 6 weeks. No forms, no notes, no fees, no nothing.

"I'm going away for six weeks"

"Hold yer stuff?"

"Yep"

"Okay"

Photobucket
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

The Post Office I deal with here in Alberta sends out a delivered email when the customer receives a notice in his/her mail box to pick up.

If is is not picked up - I would consider it delivered, cause I got an email that says so.

That of course has never happened - at least not yet.

Whether this is common practice across the country - I don't know.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Did you happen to require a signature on the parcel..is that why they didn't deliver it?

I would wait a few more days and then try phoning the buyer. You can get that info from ebay if you don't have it now.

If they don't pick it up and IF it gets sent back, I believe that ebay would back you up so that you didn't have to refund the original postage amount. However, I don't know if that would protect you from feedback.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Thanks guys for the awesome replies!:) 

No I didn't not require signature on the package, but maybe the courier felt it was unsafe to safe drop it. 

Like someone stated, yes the destination is remote I believe, so that could be the issue too. 

As long as eBay has my back than I am fine, but its the feedback I am worried about. 

Thanks!:)

Message 8 of 8
latest reply